Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as Heupel likes to run the ball...I don't know if any of those records will be broken...but I do believe years like Hendon had last year will be in play...so any of them could fall if we get good enough WR and OL play

The total TD (rushing and passing) record was not listed...and I think that is the one likeliest to fall to Nico.
That's what I was going to say. He had 4 in his first start. What's the record? 7? Or was that 7 passing TDs? Can't imagine r&p tds wild be higher than 7 either way. Either way, a lot of records gonna be dropping like flies over the next couple years, imo.

When something isn't working, you change it up. He allows teams to keep doing what's working. If getting gutted, I'm doing something different. If I'm rushing 3 and dropping 8 and still getting abused, I'm changing it up. Banks has said they're going to have a defense that's aggressive. The defense is about as aggressive as postal clerks.

We were getting to the qb the first 2-3 games. I fully know that the refs started turning a blind eye to holding. In addition other teams started leaving an extra blocker in. Banks never changed things up. That was part of the reason our pass rush started to fall off. You've got 5 offensive lineman. If you leave another in to block, TE or RB, that means you have 6. If you rush 4 then 2 get double teamed. Makes it hard to get to the QB.

I heard Chavis speak one time. He said if they were leaving 5 in to block, he was sending 6. If they were leaving 6 in to block he was sending 7.

When I saw him give up a 4th and 30 or 40 to Will Levis at KY I just shook my head.

I know many give Willie grief on here. Those may be accurate but I'm not forming an opinion with this scheme.
I am really hoping Banks gets the talent Chavis had. And fans liked to call him “3rd and Chavis”….

Chavis out-talented people. He rarely had weakness to mask. Our coaches have to scheme around definite weaknesses. Sometimes in life, with the tools you're given, you just have to roll with "least-bad". I suspect there's been a lot of that.

When someone tells you, "this is our philosophy and what we want to do, and then they don't do it--either they're a liar, or they don't have the tools to do what they want. CJH says the philosophy on offense is to go fast. They really didn't do that last year. Was it because CJH is a liar, or because roster issues prevented him from doing what he wanted?

This staff has effectively had two classes (with NCAA shadow over recruiting). It may just be a matter of reserving judgment until some roster has flipped.

I'm not saying he's the best DC we could get, but I do believe now's not the time to make judgments.
Logic

Reactions: KptVFL
Personally I prefer Heupel's method of not rocking the boat until/unless he has to.

Brian Kelly going scorched earth after back to back 10 win seasons in year 2 is a bad look IMO.
I think our whole defensive plan from the get go is to have a Defense that bends but doesn't break. The big guys on offense need to rest as well.

When something isn't working, you change it up. He allows teams to keep doing what's working. If getting gutted, I'm doing something different. If I'm rushing 3 and dropping 8 and still getting abused, I'm changing it up. Banks has said they're going to have a defense that's aggressive. The defense is about as aggressive as postal clerks.

We were getting to the qb the first 2-3 games. I fully know that the refs started turning a blind eye to holding. In addition other teams started leaving an extra blocker in. Banks never changed things up. That was part of the reason our pass rush started to fall off. You've got 5 offensive lineman. If you leave another in to block, TE or RB, that means you have 6. If you rush 4 then 2 get double teamed. Makes it hard to get to the QB.

I heard Chavis speak one time. He said if they were leaving 5 in to block, he was sending 6. If they were leaving 6 in to block he was sending 7.

When I saw him give up a 4th and 30 or 40 to Will Levis at KY I just shook my head.

I know many give Willie grief on here. Those may be accurate but I'm not forming an opinion with this scheme.
Do you not remember “3rd and Chavis” because of the number of long 3rd down conversions that happened while he was dc. He benefited from a talent advantage. For the record, I haven’t been enthusiastic about Banks but I understand his method - limit big plays and force the opponent to drive the length of the field then rely on red zone defense. Will be interested to see if better athleticism allows more m2m. Our zone defense suffered from lack of awareness/reaction to the ball by both db and lbs

Just watching our play something that stops us more than the other team is offensive penalties. I don't have any stats but I would think that 75% or more of our drives that we have a penalty we don't score. Last year we had way too many unforced penalties and we can't afford that since we have trouble overcoming them.

January 5, 1971
Body of former world heavyweight boxing champion Charles "Sonny" Liston (40) is found by his wife Geraldine at their Las Vegas home; he had been dead for an estimated 6 days; foul play suspected

One of the most iconic boxing matches in history may have been rigged by the mob.

According to an in-depth piece from the Washington Times citing decades-old FBI documents, the Feds suspected that the 1964 fight between Muhammad Ali, then Cassius Clay, and Sonny Liston was rigged.

Clay won in a six-round bout after Liston retired due to a shoulder injury -- a fact that has since been questioned. Still, the fight was regarded as a seminal moment in boxing's history, and was named the fourth-greatest sports moment of the century by Sports Illustrated.

The FBI suspected that a mob connection, Ash Resnick, set up the fix. The paper cites the report, which published information provided by a gambler named Barnett Magids and his dealings with Resnick, the latter being known to have engaged in such dealings before.

Here's the most substantive FBI evidence, from a report in 1966 obtained by the Washington Times.

Organizers of the rematch settled on the unlikely locale of Lewiston, Maine, but the fight itself only led to more controversy. The atmosphere of tension and violence surrounding the event was blamed for a paltry crowd of some 2500 fans at Maine’s first (and last) heavyweight championship match, and when Liston collapsed midway through round one, almost no one saw the blow that put him there; the clout that decided the contest would soon come to be known as “The Phantom Punch.”

With Liston on the canvas, Ali shouted at him to rise before circling the ring in a manic victory dance. Referee Jersey Joe Walcott, preoccupied with trying to corral Ali, failed to communicate with the timekeeper and thus never administered a count. A seemingly disoriented Liston climbed to his knees but then collapsed again, before eventually getting to his feet and attempting to resume the fight. Walcott was then informed that Liston had indeed been on the canvas for more than ten seconds and he finally halted the match and declared Ali the winner.

Was his death due to these "fixed" fights??

View attachment 607546

👀

Reactions: knoxvol52
@TrippieRedd told ya we had a better chance at seeing Golden Tate on our starting OL next season than Tate Ratledge. Dude LOVES the pups

0157ea6f-b798-41fa-96db-2e56b1e23247_text.gif

January 5, 1971
Body of former world heavyweight boxing champion Charles "Sonny" Liston (40) is found by his wife Geraldine at their Las Vegas home; he had been dead for an estimated 6 days; foul play suspected

One of the most iconic boxing matches in history may have been rigged by the mob.

According to an in-depth piece from the Washington Times citing decades-old FBI documents, the Feds suspected that the 1964 fight between Muhammad Ali, then Cassius Clay, and Sonny Liston was rigged.

Clay won in a six-round bout after Liston retired due to a shoulder injury -- a fact that has since been questioned. Still, the fight was regarded as a seminal moment in boxing's history, and was named the fourth-greatest sports moment of the century by Sports Illustrated.

The FBI suspected that a mob connection, Ash Resnick, set up the fix. The paper cites the report, which published information provided by a gambler named Barnett Magids and his dealings with Resnick, the latter being known to have engaged in such dealings before.

Here's the most substantive FBI evidence, from a report in 1966 obtained by the Washington Times.

Organizers of the rematch settled on the unlikely locale of Lewiston, Maine, but the fight itself only led to more controversy. The atmosphere of tension and violence surrounding the event was blamed for a paltry crowd of some 2500 fans at Maine’s first (and last) heavyweight championship match, and when Liston collapsed midway through round one, almost no one saw the blow that put him there; the clout that decided the contest would soon come to be known as “The Phantom Punch.”

With Liston on the canvas, Ali shouted at him to rise before circling the ring in a manic victory dance. Referee Jersey Joe Walcott, preoccupied with trying to corral Ali, failed to communicate with the timekeeper and thus never administered a count. A seemingly disoriented Liston climbed to his knees but then collapsed again, before eventually getting to his feet and attempting to resume the fight. Walcott was then informed that Liston had indeed been on the canvas for more than ten seconds and he finally halted the match and declared Ali the winner.

Was his death due to these "fixed" fights??

View attachment 607546
One of the most obviously fixed fights in history. Dude was Epsteined before there was an Epstein. Mob owned him pure and simple. Still, unless he got in a lucky punch, he wasn't gonna beat Clay. Helluva puncher tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back