Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we hit the passes in the middle of the field yesterday, florida was in prevent defense, which leaves the medium/intermediate passes open
I understand that but now we are talking about separation. The throws were there and were made. He's capable. I don't see the same loose aggressiveness in the plays we are calling.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
“We have to make some changes.”

That’s what Heupel said on the radio postgame show.

Josh Heupel’s esteemed expertise is on the offensive side of the football.

His offense was out of sync in much of the Virginia game and he said as much in the aftermath. In the Austin Peay game his offense was sort of embarrassing really, against a weak FCS team that had been blown out by another FCS team the prior week. For maybe a myriad of reasons in the swamp the offense again struggled to put points on the board.

Last week I said we had to let things play out. Well, here we are. They’ve played out.

Huepel saying “We have to make some changes,” is by far the most encouraging thing I’ve read today.

I watched the game and have some thoughts based on what I saw.

The D line wasn't terrible, they didn't disrupt the run enough. The linebacker play wasn't very good at all. The DB's are what they were last year which isn't very good. That being said holding Florida under 30 should have been enough......The defense or the offense is going to have to step up moving forward.

Kentucky, South Carolina, ATM, Mizzou were always going to be tough games.... But after watching what happened last night nine of us should expect an auto win in any of those games. Still a lot of season to go obviously, but if we're honest I think we are taking a significant step back this season, thinking we are probably a 6-8 win team

This brings me to the offense. Something is way off, we are somewhat predictable this year. We made a killing off showing sets and formations and running multiple plays that conflicted defenses. That isn't happening.

Despite what many think I believe Golesh was a big loss. We also miss our anchors on the o line, they were disappointing yesterday. WR's played better. We aren't really able to sustain drives or strike quickly..... The identity of this offense is off and the offense is why we lost this game.

JMO

Heupel has said that they dont plan on redshirting Nico, and nico is likely heading to the league after 3 seasons refardless. Since Milton isnt cutting it as it is, why not try him? The play calling is already vanilla enough for a freshman qb
Read LA Vol’s post a few above yours. I read it as Nico is injured and more than has been disclosed.

No way I'm turning on coach Heupel. However, I never liked the Banks hire and let that be known since the beginning. I understood at the time that he may have been the best we could get. That isn't the case now. We should be able to attract a better defensive mind.
There was a commitment from the outset to keep the staff for three years. It was more or less expected that Golesh would have opportunities, and he did. I expect there will be movement this year. There probably would have been more movement last year had the desire for stability not been so resolute. The staff bonding and strong player leadership had everyone pulling together and compensating to overcome shortcomings. Winning strengthens resolve; losing causes the fabric to fray if issues aren't mended quickly.

There's no point in turning on CJH. None whatsoever. This team has limitations. Some of the older players have ceilings, and they've hit them. We're serviceable at best at certain positions. When workarounds aren't working, things break down. I wouldn't pin hope on one player being the fix. They have to work together and hold it together when things aren't going their way. What happened last night will happen again. UT is a team SEC teams want to beat. We'll get every SEC team's best effort. We have tough road games ahead, and SEC home games won't be a cakewalk, either.

I don’t think Josh forgot how to coach. The most true part of this statement is our upperclassman have ceilings which they have hit. This goes for most of the secondary and offensive lines. Our most talented DB’s are true freshman. Joe is what he is and I am not for putting Nico back there to get crushed behind this offensive line and stunt his development.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
I watched the game and have some thoughts based on what I saw.

The D line wasn't terrible, they didn't disrupt the run enough. The linebacker play wasn't very good at all. The DB's are what they were last year which isn't very good. That being said holding Florida under 30 should have been enough......The defense or the offense is going to have to step up moving forward.

Kentucky, South Carolina, ATM, Mizzou were always going to be tough games.... But after watching what happened last night nine of us should expect an auto win in any of those games. Still a lot of season to go obviously, but if we're honest I think we are taking a significant step back this season, thinking we are probably a 6-8 win team

This brings me to the offense. Something is way off, we are somewhat predictable this year. We made a killing off showing sets and formations and running multiple plays that conflicted defenses. That isn't happening.

Despite what many think I believe Golesh was a big loss. We also miss our anchors on the o line, they were disappointing yesterday. WR's played better. We aren't really able to sustain drives or strike quickly..... The identity of this offense is off and the offense is why we lost this game.

JMO
Personally I think the offensive issues have to do with not being aggressive enough in addressing the lack of talent in areas including quarterback. Sam Hartmann is at UT and Francis Maugioa or whatever his name is and the offense cruises to a win. Defensively it’s a complete disaster. Tim banks belongs in the MAC along with Willie. Linebackers are a disaster and DL gets tired because of all the easy completions allowed

Last edited:
Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
Especially since the WR had some separation
Even with little separation, he was actually hitting them all night so yeah definitely should have. If our oline would’ve held up in the first half and not gotten so many penalties maybe the deep passing game would’ve worked like the first drive and in the 2nd half.

One thing I decided last night was that the only thing more of a time waster than creating a million recruit threads, is listening to VQ and other podcasts.

How many times did we hear how Joe and the receivers shined all offseason. A ball didn’t hit the ground. Donte literally drew Randy Moss comparisons. Yet come game days we look inept and unorganized.

That’s just one example. But be it about recruits and where we stand, to hyping up players etc…. Those guys are clueless.
Reason why I dropped my subscription from following any of these beat writers 8 years ago. They’re not clueless, they’re making huge leaps in fragmented observations. Plus they’re playing right into your fandom, say what you want to hear. 💰

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back