Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know it occurs to me that with the portal opening when coaches leave Saban really did them a disservice. He could've given them "my retirement is effective the moment the BoT finds a suitable replacement" type clause and kept the portal closed until that moment. That he didn't probably greatly rushed this hire as I imagine they told the players to give them a few days before portalling.

Based on what? Statistically they were extremely balanced this year. They had a 1000 yard rusher.

Apparently it was because he was the only one that ran the ball. 102nd in rushing. And 127th in play percentage. The article compares Washington to 22 Tennessee and outlines the differences. We run. They don't.

The difference in numbers between these two systems is substantial: Washington leads the country in producing 569.4 yards per game, 446.4 of those coming through the air. That is 44 more total yards per game and 120 more passing yards per game than the 2022 Vols. Washington is also averaging a national-high 8.8 yards per play after Tennessee finished at 7.2 last year.

And the difference in philosophy is clearer: The Huskies’ offense is built not on explosivity, but on efficiency. The explosive plays are a direct result of the efficiency. And they’re doing so with little reliance on the run game. Washington’s 123 yards rushing per game rank 102nd nationally. The last time the country’s top offense was ranked 100th or below in rushing? Kliff Kingsbury’s Texas Tech unit with Patrick Mahomes in 2016. Per TruMedia, Washington ranks 127th in run play percentage (38.7) and 78.4 percent of its total yardage comes from passing, the sixth-most.

It’s no secret what Washington wants to do behind quarterback Michael Penix Jr. as the No. 7 Huskies prepare for their biggest game yet against rival No. 8 Oregon on Saturday afternoon.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I just met Donovan Olugbode, ‘25 receiver from IMG. He was wearing a Vols jacket and told me he is going to Tennessee.
I Dont Believe You Ron Burgundy GIF - I Dont Believe You Ron Burgundy Will  Ferrell - Discover & Share GIFs

We all saw what happened to DeBoer’s offense when it came up against a top SEC level defense on Monday.
Wonder if DeBeers is planning to propose soon. Cause moving to Alabama is a different beast. You better have a rock the size of Tuscaloosa, cause when his Sister finds out, its legal?? Oh laws.

The best news here is that we get a whole other portal parade as each coach gets swapped. Didn't Washington supposedly have some decent linemen?

The Moore Award is named for Joe Moore, who was widely regarded as one of the best offensive-line coaches to come through college football, most notably for his work at Notre Dame and Pittsburgh. He sent 52 linemen to the NFL.

Over the course of the season, the Husky line consisted of seven starters and four lineups. Among the players taking a bow are junior left tackle Troy Fautanu (13 starts), sophomore right tackle Roger Rosengarten (13 starts), junior left guard Nate Kalepo (13 starts), Brailsford (13 starts), junior right guard Julius Buelow (6 starts), sophomore right guard Geirean Hatchett (5 starts) and senior center Matteo Mele

Again you have no clue how much turnover that roster will endure, those players went their to play for Saban…

You also have to remember the timing of this. Saban waited until the first day of classes to announce this in order to limit the impact on the roster for next season. The timing was not a coincidence.

Had Saban announced after the SEC title game, their roster could have changed drastically.

You also have to remember the timing of this. Saban waited until the first day of classes to announce this in order to limit the impact on the roster for next season. The timing was not a coincidence.

Had Saban announced after the SEC title game, their roster could have changed drastically.
I suppose that’s somewhat true but those players now have 30 day window to enter the transfer portal and some have already so no it really doesn’t matter…

12th in total offense
96th in total defense

13th scoring offense
54th scoring defense

120th in team sacks
Rushing defense 58
Passing defense. 117

He will have talent to make those defense numbers better but he won’t have that talent every year u less he’s an elite recruiter

I suppose that’s somewhat true but those players now have 30 day window to enter the transfer portal and some have already so no it really doesn’t matter…

Of course it matters. There is a world of difference trying to transfer once classes have begun and other programs have already managed their roster via the main winter portal.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Paul said he thought Nick was talking about retirement as early as 2 weeks ago with the university.

"Worn out and frustrated" said an assistant coach, describing Saban. (GO VOLS)

**Howard from Alabama is flabbergasted. He thought Saban should have informed UA 6 months ago.

***DeBoer is jumping in the frying pan

It did work against Oregon at least, but they’re a far cry from Georgia.

Forgot that DeBoer had Penix at IU. Interested to see what he accomplishes without a 6(7?)th year senior that’s got 3 years in his system.

He’s going to need to adapt it (which he never needed to with Haener/Penix) or bring a QB to Bama, because there’s no way Milroe is running that as-is.

I thought it was DeBord (our old OC) at IU since he was a Butch/DeBord recruit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back