Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what? Because we believe we are going to get better is somehow worse than accepting what you say our reality is and get ready to deal with what exactly? If we finish 6-6 or worse, my life goes on. It doesn't hurt me to be hopeful, sorry.
It does hurt me. If I expect nothing and get nothing, then I’m unbothered. If I expect 10-2 and get 6-6, then I’m pissed. Better to accept reality now than later

Reactions: VolByLaw
Another missed hold on 3rd downView attachment 580225
That was the worst missed calls. UF got away with it early and then got more egregious as the game went on because the refs wouldn’t call it. It was infuriating. Much like UGA and Bamas DBs. They will back off of called. If not, they will go crazy.

Your memory is, um spotty.
Soph year then. I mean, I was i attendance. And, actually had decent seats. I recall it was before half, and I remember him laying there on the field for what seemed an eternity. I remember feeling like, 'Welp, that's about right.'

He was facing the olde end zone. Id sat in Section J for decades. And this was one of the first times Id ever sat in the lower bowl, on 40 yard line almost under the overhang.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52
BTW, I read a lot of post-game posts last night, and @Revived2002 if you could share the number of your Copium dealer I'd like to buy some of what you've been taking.

Glad you read them all!

First, I expected Tennessee to lose that game. All off-season I had it as a loss. Just didn’t set up well for Tennessee, breaking in a new QB and new OL in that environment.

Second, I learned the lesson of the 2008-2020 misery. I actively worked to transcend to a place where week-to-week Vol football scores no longer impact my mood in any meaningful way. I flush bad games when the clock strikes zero - and last night was a bad game.

The lesson I learned is things are never as dire as they seem. Seeing Tennessee beat Saban in his prime and win the Orange Bowl last year after being irrelevant for so long confirmed that me. So I just don’t jump into the week-to-week misery anymore. There’s no point. I can’t control what happens in the football program. No amount of ranting and raving on a message board changes a thing. I can control my emotions though….

I saw positives in the game though, the biggest of which was the fight in the fourth quarter. So many Butch, Dooley and Pruitt teams rolled over and died in the end. This team didn’t and I think those intangibles carry us through to a nice record for a transition year.

Time will tell!

If I’m wrong and the wheels fall off the bus, Vol football will be fine over the long term. Everyone involved with cares too much for it not to be.

Banks needs to be calling defenses at some directional school in North Dakota.

Luckily you aren’t allowed to call anything beyond Domino’s. Anyone who uses the term “calling defenses” probably isn’t equipped to have an opinion on the matter. Banks’ “calls” last night were fine. Our DBs gave up two huge plays by not tackling, and McCullough got burned by speed (again). Our LB’s are inexperienced and were caught out of position by the motion. They’re going to be great as they grow. Right now they’re young. They bit on misdirection. The DL played pretty well, and got better throughout the night. None of our problems have anything to do with “calls”. The third and long conversions were a combination of perfect throws and catches, and Mertz breaking pressure. Banks is perceived as one of the best defensive coaches by other defensive coaches. We’re a very different team with Pilli, but we have to grow up fast and get our LBs to play with discipline and get our DBs to tackle in space. That’s not something a call can fix.

Luckily you aren’t allowed to call anything beyond Domino’s. Anyone who uses the term “calling defenses” probably isn’t equipped to have an opinion on the matter. Banks’ “calls” last night were fine. Our DBs gave up two huge plays by not tackling, and McCullough got burned by speed (again). Our LB’s are inexperienced and were caught out of position by the motion. They’re going to be great as they grow. Right now they’re young. They bit on misdirection. The DL played pretty well, and got better throughout the night. None of our problems have anything to do with “calls”. The third and long conversions were a combination of perfect throws and catches, and Mertz breaking pressure. Banks is perceived as one of the best defensive coaches by other defensive coaches. We’re a very different team with Pilli, but we have to grow up fast and get our LBs to play with discipline and get our DBs to tackle in space. That’s not something a call can fix.
What happened to slaughter? Why didn’t he play

Second, I learned the lesson of the 2008-2020 misery. I actively worked to transcend to a place where week-to-week Vol football scores no longer impact my mood in any meaningful way. I flush bad games when the clock strikes zero - and last night was a bad game.

The lesson I learned is things are never as dire as they seem. Seeing Tennessee beat Saban in his prime and win the Orange Bowl last year after being irrelevant for so long confirmed that me. So I just don’t jump into the week-to-week misery anymore. There’s no point. I can’t control what happens in the football program. No amount of ranting and raving on a message board changes a thing. I can control my emotions though….

An admirable quality. I have read all the works of the Stoics and intellectually understand that I need to not care about these externalities over which I have no control, but our futility against Florida against all statistical probability continues to irk me. I’m much better than I used to be, however. I don’t think I slept a bit after we lost to them in 1999, and last night I went right out and got 7 good hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back