Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not overreacting to the loss. I haven’t even said anything about the loss. I’m commenting strictly on the use of one player.

You all jump on people who disagree with our coaches in any way, shape, or form. This board would be literally quite pointless if all we did was sit here and agree with every decision made by a coach and never had any discussion about the actual decisions made by the staff.
I don't jump on everyone who disagrees with our coaches. Hell, I want Martinez canned.

I think they're extremely limited. Which, makes no sense when your QB can throw it a country mile.

On paper they WR's are really really good. Turns out, maybe they arent. I mean, common sense is teams have zero faith in our vertical passing game. I mean, why would they? So, they jam the LOS, play the run. And yet, we throw screens, and run up the gut.

We have good 'possession' receivers, which we dont. But, only squirrel is dynamic.
Bru caught everything that came his way and Trucked some guys in the swamp. Thorton had a pass interference against him that didn't get called and then caught a bullet on the next play for a first down. castles had a big catch and run for a first down and then a bogus penalty that was the only one of the game on the receiving core. Our receivers played well but they didn't have much opportunity with the play calling. Think the false starts to kick off 3 straight drives really killed us and messed with the play calling.

A gargoyle walks into a tavern and asks for a frothy ale. When the innkeeper brings it to him, the gargoyle complains, " I am quitting my job of guarding the castle. I am done." The innkeeper asks him why and the gargoyle replies, " I am tired of being taken for granite."
tenor.gif

Bru caught everything that came his way and Trucked some guys in the swamp. Thorton had a pass interference against him that didn't get called and then caught a bullet on the next play for a first down. castles had a big catch and run for a first down and then a bogus penalty that was the only one of the game on the receiving core. Our receivers played well but they didn't have much opportunity with the play calling. Think the false starts to kick off 3 straight drives really killed us and messed with the play calling.
Castles has been a win thus far.

Really missed Pili. Defense needs a leader to help with discipline and especially to keep track of alignments/matchups. Florida was running a ton of motion and Herring wasn't able to adjust, which is totally understandable considering his inexperience. I think that'll get better as the year goes on but it killed us on Saturday.
Milton kept calling the wrong protection probably

Personally the only two coaches I'm very much pissed at are Willie Martinez and Glen Elarbee

Willie HAS a ton of highly rated players and unlike OL/DL you can plug and play most talented secondary guys in year 1. We've also invested lots of portal spots to the secondary. Turnage, Hadden, Turrentine, Walker, & Jeudy-Lally and all of those players are still on roster, but where is the return on investment?

OL has been bad this year, but we've also had quite a bit of attrition. Crawford is the only '21 class guy still here from the OL, but most the '22 guys are still here just not playing. Addison Nichols isn't ready to surpass Dayne or Ollie? That's an area that needs to improve in recruiting. In 3 classes we've yet to bring in a top 100 OL player. Pruitt/Friend brought in Cooper, Cade, Spraggins, Carvin, Wright, & Wanya couldn't coach 'em for **** but 3 or 4 of them are in the NFL right now.

TBD on Alec Abeln at TE and Joey Halzle at OC (regardless of Milton hate Joey HAS made him a better QB and did the same for Hendon and landed Nico so we know he's a great QB coach)

Also, Spyre needs to consider opening up the checkbook a little more to help flip some guys. Maybe there's a player or two we need to be willing to overpay for. Even if it's in the portal. The OL needs major help. The DL will need major help after this season. Winning starts in the trenches.
Idk if it’s a spyre thing or if it’s the coaching staff… we all hear about how great spyre is.
Then some insiders on this board say staff wasn’t willing to outbid so and so for this star player… is it the conservative staff approach or is it spyre? I think it’s the conservative staff approach that probably needs adjusting. You can’t fill your roster with Ollie Lane’s in year 3 just because whoever outbids you on the recruiting trail or transfer portal. Some point you need DUDES. Top flight dudes.

Hey, what are you watching Dolphins games on this year? I'm in SoCal so last week was local and this week was national but I'm really annoyed that YT doesn't offer a single team option for Sunday Ticket. Guess it's VPN time. I'm petty that way.

Are you using a VPN with the Paramount+ app for CBS games? What about the Fox games?
I use VPN as well. I just VPN into Miami and then use CBSSports app for CBS games and the Fox.com live local TV. Both make me link my provider which I also have YTTV. It works, but a bit annoying having to hook my laptop up to the TV for games.

I was also super bummed that YTTV didn’t offer the a La Carte options that were rumored. I would 100% buy just a Dolphins/redzone package but I’m not buying the entire package.

Just an idea, and something I know isn't going to happen, but Heupel should let Martinez go and bring in Jim Leonhard to be DB coach/Asst. DC.

And should Arkansas ever can Pittman, Heupel would be crazy not to immediately pick him up. I'm not totally out on Elarbee, but this OL has been bad. When he has talent, I think he can mold it, but he has a hard time recruiting that talent.
Leonhard would be amazing hire. He’d be the HC on defense basically which is what UT needs desperately. Very experienced and young mind calling defense. Everyone gloats about him in the industry

Personally the only two coaches I'm very much pissed at are Willie Martinez and Glen Elarbee

Willie HAS a ton of highly rated players and unlike OL/DL you can plug and play most talented secondary guys in year 1. We've also invested lots of portal spots to the secondary. Turnage, Hadden, Turrentine, Walker, & Jeudy-Lally and all of those players are still on roster, but where is the return on investment?

OL has been bad this year, but we've also had quite a bit of attrition. Crawford is the only '21 class guy still here from the OL, but most the '22 guys are still here just not playing. Addison Nichols isn't ready to surpass Dayne or Ollie? That's an area that needs to improve in recruiting. In 3 classes we've yet to bring in a top 100 OL player. Pruitt/Friend brought in Cooper, Cade, Spraggins, Carvin, Wright, & Wanya couldn't coach 'em for **** but 3 or 4 of them are in the NFL right now.

TBD on Alec Abeln at TE and Joey Halzle at OC (regardless of Milton hate Joey HAS made him a better QB and did the same for Hendon and landed Nico so we know he's a great QB coach)
The poor OL recruiting is a head scratcher. We're going to be in trouble next year if we don't do really well in the transfer portal.

Guess i'm basing my opinion on the APSU game, and the first and last part of the Florida game.

More specifically it seemed to me the intermediate passes havent been there. And certainly the long game hasnt, relative to last year. Relying on short passes forcing Bru and Squirrel to make the first down. That really isnt the quick strike offense we need to be successful.

Also, defense has to fine a way to get off the field vs the run. Further we need them to start generating some turnovers.

Reactions: berryvol
Leonhard would be amazing hire. He’d be the HC on defense basically which is what UT needs desperately. Very experienced and young mind calling defense. Everyone gloats about him in the industry
Would be back to the 3 man multiple front. Would necessitate a year to adjust.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back