Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally the only two coaches I'm very much pissed at are Willie Martinez and Glen Elarbee

Willie HAS a ton of highly rated players and unlike OL/DL you can plug and play most talented secondary guys in year 1. We've also invested lots of portal spots to the secondary. Turnage, Hadden, Turrentine, Walker, & Jeudy-Lally and all of those players are still on roster, but where is the return on investment?

OL has been bad this year, but we've also had quite a bit of attrition. Crawford is the only '21 class guy still here from the OL, but most the '22 guys are still here just not playing. Addison Nichols isn't ready to surpass Dayne or Ollie? That's an area that needs to improve in recruiting. In 3 classes we've yet to bring in a top 100 OL player. Pruitt/Friend brought in Cooper, Cade, Spraggins, Carvin, Wright, & Wanya couldn't coach 'em for **** but 3 or 4 of them are in the NFL right now.

TBD on Alec Abeln at TE and Joey Halzle at OC (regardless of Milton hate Joey HAS made him a better QB and did the same for Hendon and landed Nico so we know he's a great QB coach)
Nichols is a massive disappointment right now. He's young, but at the level of talent he is he should've been ready to start Week 1 with Mays out. It shouldn't have come down to two walk-on super seniors that athletically can't hang.

Center will have to be addressed in the portal if Nichols doesn't improve. I think Elarbee looks better if Nichols was a hit. Idk if that's on Elarbee (eval or coaching) or Nichols himself (there's always a personal responsibility element to that). We saw what Elarbee was able to do with the guys he inherited. I can tell he can develop OL, but the recruiting does need improvement. We've been in the thick of it for top notch OL last few cycles and they've gone elsewhere. We can't afford to miss anymore. Might be time to start bidding on those guys, idk.

We've brought in several talented OL and they better be ready next year or Elarbee won't last. If they're ready to go and a solid unit then we can wave off the current situation as poor luck and a blip.

So I think Florida, to their credit learned from that Utah game.

Against Utah they had something like 50 passing plays, gave up 5 sacks and Mertz tossed an INT. They 13 rushes (removing QB runs/sacks) for less than 50 yards.

The flipped those numbers completely around and Banks wasn't prepared in the first half to face a run heavy short passing attack. They ended up attempting around 25 passes and 40 or so rushing attempts.

349 total yards for the gators, and 172 came from Etienne and 62 of those were off that one big TD run.

I love Beasley but we need someone on defense to be a damn dog for this team like Al Wilson. Cause the way most the defense approaches tackling is pretty pitiful.
I don’t remember UF running as much motion across the line to spread out the LBs against Utah either. Idk if they did that much against McNeese but we were completely unprepared for it and it gave us a ton of issues.

Against Utah they had something like 50 passing plays, gave up 5 sacks and Mertz tossed an INT. They 13 rushes (removing QB runs/sacks) for less than 50 yards.

The flipped those numbers completely around and Banks wasn't prepared in the first half to face a run heavy short passing attack. They ended up attempting around 25 passes and 40 or so rushing attempts.

349 total yards for the gators, and 172 came from Etienne and 62 of those were off that one big TD run.

I love Beasley but we need someone on defense to be a damn dog for this team like Al Wilson. Cause the way most the defense approaches tackling is pretty pitiful.
There is nothing wrong with beasley other than he needs to be more vocal. He is the best player on our defense and one heck of a linebacker.

TMac targeted 4 times. Allowed 4 receptions for 43 and a TD.

Hadden targeted 2x. 1 reception for 11 yards.

11 missed tackles. 10 of 11 came from secondary.

Hadden 3 missed tackles.

TMac 3 missed tackles.
The missed tackles were brutal. You don’t miss those, even with everything else we would have won.

One thing that has stuck with me is what Milton said after the game on Saturday...."We're gonna come together or we're gonna separate"....as a supposed "leader" and QB of the team....that does not scream confidence or leader to me. As a leader it is your responsibility to make damn sure that the team comes together. That comment just rubbed me the wrong way.
Yep. Comments like that from the defacto leader on offense tells me all I need to know. We'd better hope that there's better on the defensive side of the ball. I'm also hoping that Heupel will tailor his offensive approach to compensate for Milton's limitations not to mention the OL. We need to slow it down, run a more conventional offense and keep our defense fresh.....and hope they learn to tackle. Need to forget this warp speed BS. Milton can't process things and the OL can't handle it either. Slow it down, simplify the offense for Milton and focus on being a physical running team.

There is nothing wrong with beasley other than he needs to be more vocal. He is the best player on our defense and one heck of a linebacker.
Beasley should be more vocal and be the leader of the team....no written rules states QB has to be the leader of a team....AlWilson was the leader in 98 ....Tee was just the QB...

Me looking at our schedule

giphy.gif

We need a leonard little, Al wilson and eric berry at all 3 levels.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Beasley should be more vocal and be the leader of the team....no written rules states QB has to be the leader of a team....AlWilson was the leader in 98 ....Tee was just the QB...
Al was the heart and soul of the team, but when that offense is on the field and things are on the line, those guys aren't looking to Al on the sidelines. In that situation, everyone looks to the QB. The ball is in his hands on every play. You need a guy that the others believe in, trust and will follow. That guy is not Joe Milton...no offense to him.

Same issues same coach as before. Martinez sucks.
meh, its what we've got. I'm still pissed about the goings ons in Gainesville. mad, like two people arguin' in a line at any given Burger King. BK pissed!

But more than that. I just want us to compete. This team has talent. But where is it? We arent seeing it. Mcculough and DB's arent playing well. Neither is DL.

Home depot has a sale on a contractor's pack of industrial razor blades. . . just sayin'. . .
Huh? Why would I cut myself. That's loser mentality.

Id rather punch something, more specifically someone. That has served me well in the past, until it didnt🤕

Oh, and HD supports P01135809. So, for that reason. I'm out.

I'm ready to dick punch the first mother ****er that barks at me.
I hope we see huge changes in the rotation (particularly on defense) for the UTSA game. I don't care if it's all underclassmen. The starters, veterans, and "leaders" had their chance and they screwed it up.

Tired of hearing about accountability and leadership, all the normal nonsense.

If nothing else, it's time to pick back up where Joe and the offense left off, seemingly finding their groove on offense in the 2nd half.

If this is what we are on defense this year, then so be it. We all know we can be better on offense. We don't have to go on the road again for a month. Get right vs UTSA, score mercilessly. Then decapitate South Carolina. Take inventory in the Bye Week.

Huh? Why would I cut myself. That's loser mentality.

Id rather punch something, more specifically someone. That has served me well in the past, until it didnt🤕

Oh, and HD supports P01135809. So, for that reason. I'm out.
I was talking about cuttin a dog fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back