Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Sampson: Wright is obviously the alpha back for us. But I can see why he looks at Small and wonders why he’s not getting those snaps. Everything Small does, Sampson does better.

Caveat: I haven’t watched him in pass protection enough to make a call there, though not sure how good Small is with that either. Or how often we actually ask our backs to stay in to pick up the blitz

Except follow team rules...allegedly that's why Sampson was "unavailable"

Not all, but a very vocal amount.

Also the people throwing money at the NIL collective want to see what they're spending it on. Nico IS the future and the high profile investment for NIL, UTSA is the last team we face before we're deep into SEC play. They didn't play him a snap against Austin Peay (rumored injury I know, but should have been a game where Joe watched the last quarter)

Prob the biggest myth of NIL is people who donate think they have sway in the program and personnel decisions

Prob the biggest myth of NIL is people who donate think they have sway in the program and personnel decisions

Don't disagree at all, but ask them if they want to see Nico play and I'd say you'll have a damn hard time finding someone say "no"

Plus at some point those people may decide to just save their money because they have no sway. Double edge sword when you bring in investors for anything.

I think everyone is going to pick on our LBs the rest of the season.
Yup, they will. I’d like to see Carter get more snaps this week. We need to get more guys ready and see who steps up while Pili is out. Let the best player play regardless of experience. Maybe Herring still performs best and keeps his spot, who knows, but let the players settle it with live action results each week.

Reactions: Orange.
On balance, Im going with the guy with a track record of coaching offensive excellence vs a bunch of message board goobers.

Lol. Right. The one that actually gets paid to coach football. Doesn't mean can't scrutinize, just shouldn't have absolute declarations when you only know a small part of the story.

I've watched a lot of surgeries but don't really think I'm qualified to give the surgeon advice.

If Nico DOESN'T check with the sideline when the play clock is inside of 10 seconds I'll be happy.
Hahaha.

That's my point tho. I will say Lane that is what he does at OM hurry up to the line like you're going to run a play, then look over. Very rarely does he just go go go.
It works but the coaches have to get the plays in faster. Joe needs the play at 20 ish seconds if you're going to have him look at the sideline.
So some of that I'd on Hazele and adjusting with a first time play caller. This is Huepels O but I think there was a trust factor between him and Golesh that isn't there with Hazele yet.

Yup, they will. I’d like to see Carter get more snaps this week. We need to get more guys ready and see who steps up while Pili is out. Let the best player play regardless of experience. Maybe Herring still performs best and keeps his spot, who knows, but let the players settle it with live action results each week.
They need to rotate everyone that they have on the roster in the LB spot this weekend and see who sticks. Then give them a chance to prove it vs SC.

Maybe the LB situation is unfixable, but we need to find who our guys are, and if we think we're playing our best we need to change the scheme.

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
The thing with Nico, he's physically ready, it's just whenever the coaches think he's mentally ready. Do they allow Nico to check with the sidelines or do they want him to be Hooker before he plays.
The problem is that the O line isn’t protecting. You don’t throw a kid into that and expect him to get better. You are more likely to ruin him the way Butch ruined Worley and Peterman.

Reactions: berryvol
Hahaha.

That's my point tho. I will say Lane that is what he does at OM hurry up to the line like you're going to run a play, then look over. Very rarely does he just go go go.
It works but the coaches have to get the plays in faster. Joe needs the play at 20 ish seconds if you're going to have him look at the sideline.
So some of that I'd on Hazele and adjusting with a first time play caller. This is Huepels O but I think there was a trust factor between him and Golesh that isn't there with Hazele yet.
I agree. Nothing is smooth on offense this year.

Reactions: Volsdeep4
I hope Heupel addresses the stupid 30sec long celebratory handshakes and dances after a score.
Eeeh that's the time changing....years ago it was just a spike or as Barry Sanders did just hand the to the official and acted like he had been there before....I blame it on Ocho Cinco and that Riverdance he performed after scoring ...started a trend😉😉😉😉😉

Regarding Sampson: Wright is obviously the alpha back for us. But I can see why he looks at Small and wonders why he’s not getting those snaps. Everything Small does, Sampson does better.

Caveat: I haven’t watched him in pass protection enough to make a call there, though not sure how good Small is with that either. Or how often we actually ask our backs to stay in to pick up the blitz

Another thing to consider. In the first 2 games, Sampson seemed to get the majority of his snaps in the redzone. We weren’t in the redzone much against Florida.

Not sure why, or even if, Sampson is the redzone back, but it’s something that just occurred to me
The thing with Small is that he is a senior and he is the leader off the field for the RB’s. Small is also a better between the tackle rb than Sampson. In regards to pass protection theres a reason we dont have Sampson in on passing situations unless he is part of the route combo.

The problem is that the O line isn’t protecting. You don’t throw a kid into that and expect him to get better. You are more likely to ruin him the way Butch ruined Worley and Peterman.
I think that depends on what you're expectations are for the season. Do you think a change to Nico takes this team to Atlanta. Are you fine riding out a 7 or 8 won season with Joe?

I couldn’t rewatch the game. Did we play any man to man. It’s weird we play the wide open zones. Our guys are still getting beat just play man. It’s not that we lost to Florida, it’s how we looked. OL looked piss poor, Milton throwing the ball up for the pick was random and crazy ass hell. It’s like we didn’t have a game plan. Florida on the other hand, looked like they probably worked on beating us all off season.

Feels like having a pretty high-performance v12 that's only hitting on about 3 cylinders and you can't figure out why.
Imagine handing the keys to the Bugatti to your driver, telling him about all the features. The V-12, fastest car, yadda. Then this is the road course...you're my guy. You'll scream down the track. (just in case though...)IMG_3975.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back