Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. Even true in HS if the school has a strong tradition. From a coaching standpoint you tune out the noise. As far as every fan base you are correct. Down here in the bowels of Bama Land both coordinators are really catching heat. The cry for Saban to retire is getting a little louder as well. Funny.
Yea the joke on the Finebaum show is Alabama fans still blaming O'Brien and Pete Golding ...lol

I give up ....most everyone wants Nico then CJH give them Nico....
CJH doesn't give a crap what the mob wants. This isn't head coach by committee. He'll do whatever he thinks is right. My guess is that he'll continue to roll with Milton for the time being. Personally, I wish he would move on to Nico, but I know it's his decision.

SIAP - Hubbs said that this was Joe's first start in a meaningful road game.. it showed

Confession: I underplayed how the Swamp would impact the game. Players were shook

He started against a ranked Minnesota and ranked Indiana on the road when he was at Michigan. Also started against Clemson in the Orange Bowl. It’s his 6th year. Don’t think lack of experience is gonna get him a pass.

Said he was “nicked up a bit, but the intention was to get him in the rotation”. Who knows what the truth is
Then that's pretty straightforward. We didn't have many drives and Wright got like 2:1 drives vs Small. Prior to Saturday, Sampson only came in to spell Small or Wright on long drives when they were gassed. That situation never materialized, plus he's 'nicked up a bit', thus.... never saw the field.

Again, I think he will get quite a dozen or so snaps and carries against South Carolina.

He started against a ranked Minnesota and ranked Indiana on the road when he was at Michigan. Also started against Clemson in the Orange Bowl. It’s his 6th year. Don’t think lack of experience is gonna get him a pass.
Think he meant at UT. Clemsons not a “true” road game. That’s a neutral site game.

Reactions: VolByLaw
Absolutely--- I hate to say it, but Milton seems to be all leader when everything is going well (Orange Bowl, offseason, I can throw it 90yds- but not hit anyone) but you could see on TV the other night with his expressions and body language on the sideline, he was not happy and not staying positive and motivating the team... He sat on the bench with this blank look and made comments to the guy next to him. I think the idea of QB1 and leader is great for him, but he doesn't quite know how to handle the in-game chaos if things start to come off the rails. He clearly wasn't ready for it, was rattled for quite a while. He only saw Hendon have success and not his back against the wall. We will see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

I do think he wants to be the guy, and gives 100%, but he simply doesn't have "IT" to do the job. There's a reason Mich happened and then Hooker coming in and taking over happened.

I know folks don't want Nico, but by the end of the SC game, we will truly know where we stand with Milton and will have a bye week to make a change if necessary. I really hope this was just another game of not being prepared for the adversity, players out, everything out of synch, and he rebounds and steps up on and off the field.

Heup and Co were not prepared, which is very concerning, especially the fact that this was the FL game and we had so many kids out for whatever reasons... I know team rules, etc, but you need to look at the game and where it puts us. Plenty of coaches have waited to discipline players based on the matchup. FL is so important and an away game. You wait if possible until UTSA to sit kids if possible. The last time Heup decided to discipline (Banks) we went to SC and we all know what happened there. Now I see Sampson is pissed and Mincey... Sampson and Wright need to be the main rotation. Wright can pass pro, so have him in as much as possible when we are in pass mode.
How can you kick someone for leadership skills and then say the coaches should pick and choose how you discipline players…. Obviously you have no clue on what leadership is

Yea I forgot all about the Canes antics in the 80's ....little loss of memory ...I hated the Canes but grew to love Jimmy Johnson in early 90's....

Vomit GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Reactions: knoxvol52
Quarles was an awful hire and they only did it because he was local.
I think it was that and he was cheap. ETSU was in a bad spot when the hire was made.
They had just paid Sanders big that year.
They had fired/hired a WBB coach
They had the issues with the softball program and had just fired and hired that coach.
They had just fired the MBB coach and hired Oliver.
Then Carter the AD was being investigated for something and they paid him to go away.
Quarles was the only thing they could afford.

Reactions: KPT_VFL
First I've heard of it. I only saw the end of the game. It's getting no mention in the writeups that I know of. Makes the hit on the CU WR more understandable -- not to say excusable. The latter looked like a typical GA play to me.

Imo, this is more egregious than the hit the CSU player gave. One's a dirty play, one's a dirty act after the play. You try to gouge another player's eye you should be suspended by the conference or NCAA after the fact.

If Jauan got suspended by the conference after the hit on the Vandy player. The CSU player could/should be suspended for the hit on Travis Hunter. I'd argue Shaduer should be suspended for this, too. That's totally unacceptable.

I like Sanders's game, but I've started noticing his behavior is pretty bad.

Josh Heupel quotes General Neyland on the team who makes the fewest mistakes win. Says they didn't do that. Says they are hurt and learning lessons - ready to move on.

Josh Heupel says the OL was not where it needs to be. Not as consistent as you need to be anytime but especially on the road

Josh Heupel says they made the decision to not play Gerald Mincey on offense and they will see how the week goes in terms of his availability this week.

Josh Heupel says RB Dylan Sampson was available and they had plans to get him in

Josh Heupel says they have repped crowd noise in practice to get ready for going on the road but a lot of it is just resetting from one play to the next

Josh Heupel says you have to execute on third downs. Notes 3rd & 4 and below should be converted on over 90 percent of the time. Says they have to get there.

“Defensively, there were a couple times where we got out of our gap. And when I say out of our gap, not that we’re completely missing our gap, just we’re behind. And so your linebacker being a step behind allows that double team to be thicker on the climb up on the second level and you create a vertical seam. And when I talk about the game being played in margins, those are the subtle details that I’m talking about. That happened on the defensive side of the ball and the offensive side of the ball. It’s not a complete wholesale change. We just have to be more efficient in what we’re doing. The tackling issues in particular in the first half, some poor fundamentals and a couple times were the effort’s not very good.”

Also from the same press conference:

Heupel on Ricky Gibson:
“Ricky went in the ballgame. He’s continuing to gain trust from our coaching staff. He’s athletic. He’s done a good job on special teams. And he got an opportunity to play some Saturday night on defense. I said it to him today: we need him to grow quickly.

A brief excerpt (not unrelated imo) from a different answer about the defense:
….The tackling issues, in particular in the first half, some poor fundamentals and a couple of times where the effort was not very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back