Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
A data point that some may opt to consider –

I don't mean to get anyone riled up; I'm just trying to be informative. Trust me. lol.

Dante Moore

The circumstances are never the same.

On December 19, 2022 Dante Moore decommitted from the Oregon Ducks and committed to the UCLA Bruins and Chip Kelly.

On July 12, 2023 Dante Moore enrolled at UCLA.

Ethan Garbers was the #4 ranked (nationally) QB in the class of 2020 (rating 94) out of California. He signed with Washington out of high school but after not getting any snaps his freshman year, in December 2020 transferred to UCLA. In 2021 and 2022 he backed up Dorian Thompson-Robinson who was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the 5th round of the 2023 NFL draft.

Finally in 2023 Ethan gets his shot as he starts the season at QB for the Bruins at home in the Rose Bowl against Coastal Carolina. The Bruins get a short field after a stellar KO return and their offense starts at the Coastal 22-yard line. Garbers leads the short drive and earns the TD. His next series he takes over on his 20 and marches the Bruin offense down the field to the Coastal 8 yard line where on 3rd and 6 he throws an interception in the endzone.

Grayson McCall for Coastal on his first drive had led the team down the field for a field goal attempt with the ball on the 23 yard line. The FG attempt was no good. On his second drive again McCall marched Coastal down the field for another FG attempt. This time from the 12-yard line it was good.

Ethan’s 3rd drive for UCLA stalls at mid field. They punt. Coastal punts on their next possession as well, a 3 and out.

Possession UCLA. True freshman Dante Moore enters the game at QB for the Bruins. Dan-te, Dan-te, Dan-te, chants ring out across the Rose Bowl and it’s 43,705 announced fan attendance (capacity 92,542). lol

Moore leads a 6 play 61 yard TD drive including a 39 yard pass and the 14 yard scoring strike. Dan-te, Dan-te, Dan-te.

McCall leads Coastal back down the field for another FG with 2 seconds left in the half.

On the first possession of the 2nd half McCall lead Coastal on a 9 play 75 yard TD drive. Score 14-13 UCLA.

Garbers gets the 2nd half start for the Bruins, converts a 3rd and 4 with an 18 yard pass for the first down, then throws his 2nd interception on the very next play. Garbers made the tackle on the interception return.

McCall leads a 9 play 39 yard drive that ends in an interception.

Garbers is back out there for the Bruins. The Bruins go 3 and out.

McCall leads a 10 play 61 yard drive that ends in a missed FG.

Dante Moore returns for the next series for UCLA. Dan-te, Dan-te, Dan-te.

On the first snap of his second possession, Dante hits his X receiver for a 62 yard TD. DAN-TE, DAN-TE, DAN-TE.

The story is still being written but in that moment the 2023 UCLA Bruins became Dante Moore’s team. He’s 3 and 0 and currently has the 5th highest NCAA passer rating in the country (205.42) on 51 attempts with 7 TDs and 1 interception. He’s completing 62.7% of his passes at 12.1 yards per attempt. They've beat Coastal and BRADY HOKE’S San Diego State Aztecs, the latter on the road. They’ve also beat #17 ranked FCS NC Central. This week the Bruins go on the road for maybe their first real test of the season as they face two-time defending PAC-12 champion Utah in SLC. Utah is expecting Cam Rising to start this week. Utah is a 4.5 to 5 point favorite in the matchup. Kickoff is at 3:30 ET.

Both Tennessee and UCLA essentially have 3-star OLines though UCLA’s line personnel is significantly lower rated by the 247 composite. We’ve allowed 3 sacks; they’ve allowed 4. We’ve allowed 9 TFL’s; they’ve allowed 11. Both of those metrics are among the best in the nation.

At running back they have Carson Steele; we have Jaylen Wright.

In the 2023 class Arch Manning was the #1 rated QB but everyone knew that wasn’t real and more and more people in the industry are willing to admit it. Nico Iamaleava was actually the #1 rated QB in the 2023 class and Dante Moore was the #2 rated QB in the class. All three had a 100 rating from 247 but as noted in the case of Nico and Dante it was real. jmo.

According to 247 Dante may be a more polished passer coming out of high school but he has no real mobility, something that was perceived as a real strength for Nico. jmo.

I just thought for anyone not following UCLA or 18-year old elite QBs starting at P5 programs in 2023 this might be an interesting story.

In the AP top 25 released on Sunday, UCLA was ranked #22; we’re at #23. They’ve been moving up and we’ve been moving not up. jmo.

When Nico went into the game in Nashville fans did chant Nico, Nico, Nico. Nico was playing with the 2's at best. Dante has been playing with UCLA's 1s. On his first possession Nico led a TD drive against the Virginia defense. I've wonder how he might fare if he had a few possessions with our 1's.

I figure this post may upset a number of people but really, I’m not trying to start anything, much. I’m just saying this is an interesting and maybe timely story. Don’t you think? lol.

Does anyone else hear a chant building up across Big Orange Nation? lol

Cue the guy getting thrown in the dumpster gif. lol

Aint the 1st time it's worked out for someone and it won't be the last.

Guarantee you've triggered more than a few though. Lol!

Edit: And great post as usual!

Milton is so clueless he doesn’t look at the play clock, waste of timeouts as a result. Looked like a high school quarterback trying to operate the offense. No pocket awareness, terrible footwork, afraid to run half the time. That’s without mentioning the accuracy. He is what he is and it ain’t changing

To be fair their entire game plan was quick short passes. They had 5 pop pass completions to Wilson on the first drive and idk when they threw the ball further than 10 yards other than once maybe twice. They nickel and dimes us down the field and D couldn’t get off the field which is a big factor as to why the offense couldn’t get going. Hard to score when you run 13 plays in almost a half because D can’t get off the field on 3rd down.

All this. Defense was the main reason this team lost Saturday. Yes, boneheaded penalties on offense and a bad OL. But, the D not being able to get off the field to give the offense time was huge. Was it poor coaching? Sure. But I swear some of those players looked 'less than interested'.

Pretty sure he’s the one running the offense. It isn’t flowing the way that offense is supposed to. Is that Milton, the coaches, combination? I don’t know but we look terrible on that side of the ball.
Unless Milton is checking the plays at the line to only run the Dive or WR screen, then I’m not sure how it’s a Milton problem. Once they open it up, he seems fine.

I don’t understand the Mincey suspension. Why is Heupel saying it’s basically day to day?
Because he doesn't like to discuss team business of that sort or injuries in public. He likely means it depends on how Mincey responds this week. And, as for the pot, someone has said it was not so much what he did as where he did it. Idk if that is right. Some of it may be up to the school. Again Idk. I was relieved to hear that Slaughter was a minor injury and unrelated. We really needed Mincey on Saturday.

Milton is so clueless he doesn’t look at the play clock, waste of timeouts as a result. Looked like a high school quarterback trying to operate the offense. No pocket awareness, terrible footwork, afraid to run half the time. That’s without mentioning the accuracy. He is what he is and it ain’t changing
Ummm I'm almost convinced by the posts maybe as much as I like Milton he isn't the answer..... but here is a ? Instead of wanting him to do Hendon Hooker like things....why not tweek the offense play calling to his strengths...FFT...

Big head scratch for me too. "The flow of the game threw off how we planned to use him."

At what point could we have subbed him in when we were constantly shooting ourselves in the foot. I bet they had plans to put him in once we got into the red zone and it never materialized

Ummm I'm almost convinced by the posts maybe as much as I like Milton he isn't the answer..... but here is a ? Instead of wanting him to do Hendon Hooker like things....why not tweek the offense play calling to his strengths...FFT...
Just launch it 80 yards every play?

Reactions: Vols4us
Big head scratch for me too. "The flow of the game threw off how we planned to use him."
Then he said something to the effect that it won't happen again, iirc. He didn't want to discuss it. You have to remember it is the Knoxville pool and they are looking for juicy negative things to run back their ole routine. I don't mind Heup playing things close to the vest.

Imo, this is more egregious than the hit the CSU player gave. One's a dirty play, one's a dirty act after the play. You try to gouge another player's eye you should be suspended by the conference or NCAA after the fact.

If Jauan got suspended by the conference after the hit on the Vandy player. The CSU player could/should be suspended for the hit on Travis Hunter. I'd argue Shaduer should be suspended for this, too. That's totally unacceptable.

I like Sanders's game, but I've started noticing his behavior is pretty bad.

Gets it honest

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back