Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday sucked ass and still pissed about it. But y’all are acting like we just started the season 1-2 with a loss to UF and Virginia. Still a lot to play for and improvements that can be made. Going 5-1 into Tuscaloosa is still a good possibility

No apparently the season is over and we need to prepare for the future

One reason Joe didn't run more is that Florida did a good job of keeping their contain at the edge and holding their lanes in the center; there was no running alley. We, on the other hand, got pushed inside or made poor decisions to go inside at the edges; that's how Mertz was able to roll out to avoid pressure.

That and read option, triple option, run this panther.

Joe hasn’t kept it on a read option to date lol. The offense is what it is. Nico ran it fine agaisnt Virginia. I’m not saying that Milton needs to ride the pine but if dude comes out flat against UTSA then I’m all for Nico getting a shot to spin the ball.

Reactions: Volpac Sackyou
it feels like it is over

You do you but that’s a miserable experience for a fan. Lose 1 game and that’s it?

I want to see this year’s team step up and improve as the season goes on. See if they can get it to 9 wins. And I want to see how the coaches adjust to what they’re seeing out there on Saturdays.

This team was never a NC contender. The season is just now starting.

One reason Joe didn't run more is that Florida did a good job of keeping their contain at the edge and holding their lanes in the center; there was no running alley. We, on the other hand, got pushed inside or made poor decisions to go inside at the edges; that's how Mertz was able to roll out to avoid pressure.

They took advantage of the aggressiveness of the DL. Baited them inside and then just kept them there. Honestly a really smart game plan.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Guess i'm basing my opinion on the APSU game, and the first and last part of the Florida game.

More specifically it seemed to me the intermediate passes havent been there. And certainly the long game hasnt, relative to last year. Relying on short passes forcing Bru and Squirrel to make the first down. That really isnt the quick strike offense we need to be successful.

Also, defense has to fine a way to get off the field vs the run. Further we need them to start generating some turnovers.
I think the defense was in part because of Florida's game plan vs Utah. They mostly passed there but switched it up and went run-heavy on us and the front 7 weren't ready

Incorrect. Serval times when Joe got out of the pocket he had an easy 5-7 yard run man. Also, Teams have picked up on when we are going to run due to how Joe stands. It’s why they was in the backfield so much.

We did not get pushed around on defense either. Herring and Beasley kept reading the wrong gap which put the corners on an island.

Reactions: Volpac Sackyou
Lmao...how do you plan to put Sampson in...but then just don't? I tell you...some of his excuses just make no sense.
I love Heup and want him here a while. But some of his answers recently seem very weird. Almost as if he is not even sure what to do with this offense and players. Something is amuck.

I love Heup and want him here a while. But some of his answers recently seem very weird. Almost as if he is not even sure what to do with this offense and players. Something is amuck.
Having a JG-esque disaster of a QB throws coaches for a loop. Survive this season and keep recruiting

All this. Defense was the main reason this team lost Saturday. Yes, boneheaded penalties on offense and a bad OL. But, the D not being able to get off the field to give the offense time was huge. Was it poor coaching? Sure. But I swear some of those players looked 'less than interested'.
We scored 16 points on an average defense.

If the OL had looked good and we had won the game and he said this bc Sampson didn’t play, would you feel the same way or nah?

We scored 16 points on an average defense.
Understood. But we also didn't have the ball much in that first half which pretty much decided the game. D was primary failure IMO. We needed then to show up this year. Doesn't mean there's not issues all over this team.

Incorrect. Serval times when Joe got out of the pocket he had an easy 5-7 yard run man. Also, Teams have picked up on when we are going to run due to how Joe stands. It’s why they was in the backfield so much.

We did not get pushed around on defense either. Herring and Beasley kept reading the wrong gap which put the corners on an island.
I'll look for your first point. I know that about our LBs. I was't saying our DL got pushed around always. I was saying that when Mertz was outside the pocket (I should have specified in the first half) it seemed to me our Edge or SDE had taken an inside lane. Otherwise Mertz would have been trapped. I'll look again when I can stand to. 😂

I remember when Florida lost to Utah in embarassing, uninspired fashion and their season was over, Napier got fired, and Mertz was benched to never been seen again because there was no possible way they could play better than they did against Utah.

Same is true for this team, Heupel, and Milton. It's just all a loss at this point and we've thrown in the towel. It cannot be fixed or amended. Play taps.

~blue font~

I'll look for your first point. I know that about our LBs. I was't saying our DL got pushed around always. I was saying that when Mertz was outside the pocket (I should have specified in the first half) it seemed to me our Edge or SDE had taken an inside lane. Otherwise Mertz would have been trapped. I'll look again when I can stand to. 😂
Often, our guys rushed wide and Mertz stepped up into the pocket (where those was no interior pressure) and then rolled outside.

It does… but still salvageable. Missouri, USCe, A&M, Kentucky all huge games now
It’s more that we thought we could potentially challenge for the East. Georgia would be good, but unproven QB, etc.

Losing to Florida in the manner which we did—that’s not going to happen. At all. Maybe at the beginning we thought we could sweep those above teams. That’s a pipe dream now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back