Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Divided locker room" talk is not accurate from what I've heard. They're down and angry. Some teammates aren't happy with Mays for holding out but I also understand why he's doing it.

Banks called a good second half but his first half game plan was bad.

My personal thoughts: I think the defense is hamstrung a bit. Our DBs aren't good enough to give the defensive line a break. We're only successful when the DL is told to go get it. But they can't do that the entire game, especially if the opponent is sustaining long drives. Or when 1 young guy is undisciplined and lets the QB leak out, or like when Herring didn't track the TE on UFs touchdown pass. Pearce had Mertz, but Herring went for Mertz and let the TE run out in the flat unmarked. Luckily we have a deeper rotation this year but its a lot of young guys.

I think we see a more of a disruptive DL starting going forward but they might get gassed as the game wears on.
We have decent depth on the edges. Harrison, Pearce, and Joseph’s on one side then Baron, Bailey and West. Maybe they need to keep rotating them I guess and stay aggressive. Hopefully the DT’s stay healthy cause they seemed like they were getting hurt a lot Saturday.

And with DB’s we have to play all the best guys together and not in 2 separate rotations and also bench seniors for better younger players. No reason Jeudy-Lally and slaughter to not be on the field at the same time cause Hadden ain’t it. Also, tank needs to be benched for Turrentine or Charles when he gets back cause Tank does not have the speed to play either safety position. So tired of seeing him get to boundary passes late or seeing a rb meet him in the 3rd level when he should have crashed on the run sooner or even get ran right by for a LONG gain. Dude is too slow physically and in his reads.

JMO, the complaints about Oline recruiting are premature/unwarranted. ‘21 class was the turnover year from Pruitt off a disastrous season so yeah, recruiting sucked. ‘22 guys are sophomores now and ‘23 are freshmen. It’s a developmental position and also the hardest to project, especially during Covid, so star rankings mean less. Maybe those guys pan out, maybe not, but it’s not like the year Dooley took no OL. On top of all that, we self imposed scholly penalties so staff could take fewer guys despite the glaring needs all over the roster.

This year’s OL class is looking good. The staff isn’t clueless. Think it’s worth remembering the monumental challenge this staff was tasked with in comparison to the incredible results they’ve had so far.

definitely double the hashbrowns

giphy.gif

Aside from the OL being an offensive limitation, there's ad admittance that Joe's inaccuracy on intermediate throws has limited the offense and playcalling.

[I think, basically, he's already inaccurate on those throws and he's going to get pressured on those dropbacks so they're trying to beat teams in the short game, run game, and deep shots (so like... the Titans offense).]

The opinion is that Joe has two weeks to get it down. Clock is ticking. They're giving him the chance but they're willing to move on basically.
Quit reading at "like the Titans offense".

Problem is that uscjr made a killing against uga with the quick passing game, which I feel like that is what they will try against us
They for sure will attack us the same way if we bring pressure, but if we don’t bring pressure then Rattler will pick our soft zone apart. It’s kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.

JMO, the complaints about Oline recruiting are premature/unwarranted. ‘21 class was the turnover year from Pruitt off a disastrous season so yeah, recruiting sucked. ‘22 guys are sophomores now and ‘23 are freshmen. It’s a developmental position and also the hardest to project, especially during Covid, so star rankings mean less. Maybe those guys pan out, maybe not, but it’s not like the year Dooley took no OL. On top of all that, we self imposed scholly penalties so staff could take fewer guys despite the glaring needs all over the roster.

This year’s OL class is looking good. The staff isn’t clueless. Think it’s worth remembering the monumental challenge this staff was tasked with in comparison to the incredible results they’ve had so far.
I think it's fair to complain... none of our OL starters are Elarbee HS recruits, and despite having guys entering their 2nd year here that he did recruit they chose to bring in 2 transfers this season. And people were very critical of Friend at OL coach, but now in year 3 the new OL coach it's premature to complain even though he's starting 4 Pruitt/Friend recruits basically?

2018:
Ollie Lane (3 star)

2019:
Jackson Lampley (4 star)

2020:
Cooper Mays (4 star)
Javontez Spraggins (3 star)

2021:
Jeremiah Crawford (3 star)

Elarbee's first full class
2022:
Addison Nichols (4 star)
Masai Reddick (3 star)
Brian Grant (3 star)
Mo Clipper Jr. (3 star)
Gerald Mincey (3 star) TR

2023:
Shamurad Umarov (4 star)
Vysen Lang (3 star)
Larry Johnson III (3 star)
Ayden Bussell (3 star)
John Campbell Jr. (3 star) TR
Andrej Karic (3 star) TR

You're right though the '24 class is looking very good, 2 of these guys are top 100 players in the class as of now.
2024:
Bennett Warren (4 star)
Max Anderson (4 star)
William Satterwhite (4 star)
Gage Ginther (3 star)
Jesse Perry (3 star)

Aside from the OL being an offensive limitation, there's ad admittance that Joe's inaccuracy on intermediate throws has limited the offense and playcalling.

[I think, basically, he's already inaccurate on those throws and he's going to get pressured on those dropbacks so they're trying to beat teams in the short game, run game, and deep shots (so like... the Titans offense).]

The opinion is that Joe has two weeks to get it down. Clock is ticking. They're giving him the chance but they're willing to move on basically.
I dont like this.
We all want to see Nico but his first start behind this O Line against a TXAM team that has a loaded D line. Thus years gonna suck but just ride Joe out. We can get to a pointless bowl game without killing Nico.

If the fanbase is this combustible over a single loss now, wait till Texas and Oklahoma join and the league becomes even tougher.

Folks need to realize college football is changing and we need to get over losses much, much faster. I can't believe the hand wringing and questioning of coaches and the future of the program still going on, several days after an entirely predictable struggle in Florida for a young team missing multiple key pieces and breaking in a new QB. Goodness!

Mincey has to get out of the dog house and stop being a baby. He is much better than Crawford and sitting bench for his attitude. We need him to man up and play.
Absolutely. And the rumor that he is pouting about not playing on the left side has me worried. I think it might be related to his choice to be out on the town after curfew. It wasn't what as much as where and when. Boneheaded. And it was the SEC opener against his old team. He balled out in that game last year.

It’s the problem with the “Joe isn’t the problem” narrative some are anchored too.

Sure, there are other problems. Guys like Dobbs & Hooker mitigated problems, and made plays.

Joe brings our other problems into focus.
The problem is with everyone when you lose like that. A lot of things are fixable. Unfortunately, I think some are not.

I have a question: why wouldn’t we try to move Crawford and Mincey back to left tackle, and move Campbell to right? I thought they did ok there last season. Is Campbell just not suited for the right side?

I have a question: why wouldn’t we try to move Crawford and Mincey back to left tackle, and move Campbell to right? I thought they did ok there last season. Is Campbell just not suited for the right side?
Campbell is a good LT and Mincey was never great there. Makes more sense to use Mincey at RT. LT is a more valuable position than RT and want your best guy there.

You don’t just move positions because someone is whining

If the fanbase is this combustible over a single loss now, wait till Texas and Oklahoma join and the league becomes even tougher.

Folks need to realize college football is changing and we need to get over losses much, much faster. I can't believe the hand wringing and questioning of coaches and the future of the program still going on, several days after an entirely predictable struggle in Florida for a young team missing multiple key pieces and breaking in a new QB. Goodness!
When the playoff expands, so too will our comfort level with losses. Losses will always sting, but the implications of a single loss will lessen.

I've lost to Florida my entire life. We have a better team and a 6th year QB. I think Heup is the man, but that game was garbage and it's on him.

I think it's fair to complain... none of our OL starters are Elarbee HS recruits, and despite having guys entering their 2nd year here that he did recruit they chose to bring in 2 transfers this season. And people were very critical of Friend at OL coach, but now in year 3 the new OL coach it's premature to complain even though he's starting 4 Pruitt/Friend recruits basically?

2018:
Ollie Lane (3 star)

2019:
Jackson Lampley (4 star)

2020:
Cooper Mays (4 star)

2021:

2022:
Addison Nichols (4 star)
Masai Reddick (3 star)
Brian Grant (3 star)
Mo Clipper Jr. (3 star)

2023:
Shamurad Umarov (4 star)
Vysen Lang (3 star)
Ayden Bussell (3 star)
Andrej Karic (3 star) TR

You're right though the '24 class is looking very good, 2 of these guys are top 100 players in the class as of now.
2024:
Bennett Warren (4 star)
Max Anderson (4 star)
Gage Ginther (3 star)
Jesse Perry (3 star)
This looks like a problem that the portal can really help. I presume one of those 2024 (hopefully 2) can crack the two deep. We just need a solid 1-2 guys coming from smaller schools who want to try to get better exposure for the league.

It's the interior DL that has me more worried.

Quit reading at "like the Titans offense".
I like the Titans offense under Kelly so far. If Tannehill can hit the open guys the Titans should have a good offense. It was really good under Arthur Smith for a few years too. decent in 21’ then completely terrible in 22’. Looking a lot better in 23’

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Campbell is a good LT and Mincey was never great there. Makes more sense to use Mincey at RT. LT is a more valuable position than RT and want your best guy there.

You don’t just move positions because someone is whining
It was more of a vacuum hypothetical (attitudes not considered); I was just talking from a pure football perspective.

What I mean is, however good Campbell is at LT, we went through an 11-2 season with the other guys at LT. Now, maybe Joe at QB requires higher caliber play at that position, but if you could get serviceable play there platooning Mincey and Crawford, and upgrade your right side with Campbell. Maybe it’s worth considering if your line play doesn’t improve over the next few weeks.

Last edited:

2018:
Ollie Lane (3 star)

2019:
Jackson Lampley (4 star)

2020:
Cooper Mays (4 star)

2021:

2022:
Addison Nichols (4 star)
Masai Reddick (3 star)
Brian Grant (3 star)
Mo Clipper Jr. (3 star)

2023:
Shamurad Umarov (4 star)
Vysen Lang (3 star)
Ayden Bussell (3 star)
Andrej Karic (3 star) TR

2024:
Bennett Warren (4 star)
Max Anderson (4 star)
Gage Ginther (3 star)
Jesse Perry (3 star)
I think that’s his point. It’s not reasonable to expect 2nd year guys to be contributors in a heavy-developmental position like OL, especially in the SEC, and that makes it hard to judge what Elarbee is bringing in from HS.

The problem is with everyone when you lose like that. A lot of things are fixable. Unfortunately, I think some are not.
Oh that was a team loss, for sure. Joe Milton didn’t lose that game.

Hooker & Dobbs won us games we probably should have lost. Joe just doesn’t look to be one of those guys.

And unfortunately, it looks like we need one of those guys this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back