Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not why our fans are upset though. This was our best shot to win in the swamp in a decade. Furthermore after some shaky play to start the season it was our litmus test to see what we really were.

There were not many positives to be found. The defense looks to be about what it was last year...... Combine that with an offense that is struggling and that could be a really bad sign for a team that leaned heavily on it's offense last year.

We expected to take a small step back..... After our troubling start so far there is concern we may take a much bigger step back then we are comfortable with. There is still a lot of ball to be played, Heupel had his work cut out for him. Hopefully he can get this team moving in the right direction.
I will venture to say that while it sucks for fans that Florida has a streak there, that is solely a media talking and fan bragging point, so long as the team doesn't buy into it.

It's only about this year. We have lost one game on the road. Last year we lost two.

I think part of the "things seem off" is that the first two seasons the expectations didn't exist. The team was playing with house money. This season (ahead of schedule) there are very high expectations, internally from players themselves, coaches, staff, AD, etc. and also externally from fans and media folks.

Wes Rucker
@wesrucker247
·
29m
#Vols OC Joey Halzle said there's nothing about the operation of the Tennessee offense that would improve with Nico Iamaleava at QB right now because Joe Milton III is "operating at a really high level."
I hate stand-alone quotes. But Neckbeard is starting to piss me off. I’ll probably fire him next if he’s not careful.

Im sorry, but if you go from avg’ing 50 ppg to 30, including the 49 point outlier so far, there is a problem, and execution is part of it. So for the OC to come out and say that he still thinks the qb is operating at a high level is bad. Even if It is just coach speak, he doesnt seem to think there is an issue there

Reactions: SoilVol
Im sorry, but if you go from avg’ing 50 ppg to 30, including the 49 point outlier so far, there is a problem, and execution is part of it. So for the OC to come out and say that he still thinks the qb is operating at a high level is bad. Even if It is just coach speak, he doesnt seem to think there is an issue there

I’d say he’s heard it from Josh and several boosters. Saturday will determine how this season goes. We come out and absolutely destroy UTSA in every aspect of the game or we come out flat and that will lead to more heinous problems for the staff.

Also I know me personally I'm fairly objective in my thoughts of performance.

Joe Milton hasn't/isn't playing as well as Hendon Hooker. Objectively I can validate that statement with stats and numbers.

But when someone says he's playing "horrible" that's just a subjective opinion. I don't share it, and I can't really dispute it either because the person saying it has their own opinion of what "horrible" is.

The OL played bad, and objectively there are numbers to support that. The defense (in the first half specifically) was bad, again numbers support those.

The only player at this point in the season that I feel makes the OL better immediately is Mays returning, he is heavily involved with making sure the correct protections are called, that's not something that's on Joe it's the center's job in this system. On defense I can't really point to a single player having the same sort of immediate impact...I think collectively Banks is playing younger talent and will continue to do so and they'll improve from the experience as a unit.

I mean Elijah Simmons hasn't played a snap yet, so he could possibly make an immediate impact on the DL when he returns.

It’s because we looked so bad doing it. And more than that- we are boring. We aren’t interesting.

Take Colorado- they’re going to lose to Oregon. And probably by a decent amount. They’re outclassed to a man. But…they’ll be exciting. You’ll see flashes. You’ll see excitement. And this is a Colorado team last year that was worse than any team TN has ever fielded. Ever.

We just aren’t exciting. We have the same guys making the same predictable errors.

Make it stop.

This line of thinking doesn't resonate with me at all. Sounds really whiny and petulant.

I hate stand-alone quotes. But Neckbeard is starting to piss me off. I’ll probably fire him next if he’d not careful.
Bruh finally started to do a little decent work (was it by accident?) and now he is going full retard.

I would guess that he sees himself as asking that question for the purpose of making a tweet to talk back at fans. Unless he has gone full Knoxville media and is just trying to stoke anger on Vol twitter.

Our coaches are not going to criticize their own players to the media. Heupel has thought it through, and made it a policy. The media wants them to because it gives them searing "hot" quotes and sells clicks, but it harms the team, in Heupel's view.

The coaches can replace anyone they want without dogging someone out in public. Like it or not -- and it may not be one's preference (it is easy to say how tough one would talk with no responsibility) -- it's not an irrational policy. There is a reason for it.

i didn’t post it for drvenner…. i posted it for anyone interested bc i am concerned…. everything i read or hear leads to the assumption that there is a culture problem… A couple of days after the game i asked my person what was up with Joe bc they are friends… he said he didn’t know but he had talked to a guy in the facility(his friend) that said that he didn’t know what was up…. that the environment from the very beginning has been entirely different than the previous two seasons…. It was like half the team doesn’t care….. Take it for its worth…. everyone can decide to do with the info what they wish… I, personally, want all the info i can get…. i can figure out what i want to do with it.
I have taken it for what it's worth. I just don't like third hand BS that seems to be designed to cause drama. Keep posting whatever you want. If I don't like it, I will continue to respond. I think you're a good poster overall, but disagree with you on this one.

Getting trounced by a gator team that’s mediocre and rebuilding while being the biggest favorite at their place ever in the series isn’t exactly an ideal situation. I understood the frustration from people. We’re Tennessee, it’s about us as the pre game hype video said. High standards, high pay, excellence. Want mediocrity? Let’s hire back Mike Hamilton and go 6-6 for 12 years again. You’re absolutely right. Times are changing. DW ain’t settling for 8-4

I saw a lot of this same tough talk from 2005 onward. It led us to fire Phil Fulmer and spend a decade plus in utter irrelevance. We finally get a coaching staff that beats Saban in his prime and wins an Orange bowl, and we're done with them after an imminently predictable struggle in one game in Gainesville.

There is no Super Coach waiting by the phone for the Tennessee job who will come in and beat Florida on the road every year. This attitude is completely incomprehensible to me. I'm stunned Vol fans are still dumb enough to hold this view.

I think operating and executing are two different things to the coaches. Operating is pre-snap and executing is post-snap. He's saying that Joe is managing the offense like they expect. Obviously multiple issues keep popping up once the ball is snapped and it's time to execute the play.

I really think getting Mays back and getting solid play from the o-line will result in a big leap forward for the offense. If they can hold up, then we'll know for sure if Joe has it or not. Until then, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. When he's been allowed to throw it down the field, he's made some really nice plays.

Is 49 the outlier or is 16 the outlier?

It’s because we looked so bad doing it. And more than that- we are boring. We aren’t interesting.

Take Colorado- they’re going to lose to Oregon. And probably by a decent amount. They’re outclassed to a man. But…they’ll be exciting. You’ll see flashes. You’ll see excitement. And this is a Colorado team last year that was worse than any team TN has ever fielded. Ever.

We just aren’t exciting. We have the same guys making the same predictable errors.

Make it stop.

facepalm-really.gif

I have temporary mid-insider info. I feel better than I did.

Slaughter was not suspended and is in fact injured. He is expected to be available for South Carolina.

Mincey was 100% on himself. He wasn't suspended for weed he was suspended for curfew. He's our best right tackle if he gets out of his own way.

Mays had 3 hernias operated on. He's been cleared by UT to play but has been advised by his own Drs. to wait until October so that's what he's doing. That likely explains the mixups in what Heupel says vs rumors of time he's out. He's expected to play against Texas A&M.
@ACvol3 be like -

IMG_6231.jpeg

We typically double high regardless of opponent. South carolina has 0 run threat in terms of designed rb run plays, so playin double high will be fine. We played double high against fla the entire game. It made 0 sense bc mertz is trash and Florida philosophically likes to predominantly run the ball
Single high would eliminate the screen to the trip side in the passing game.

I know I’m in the minority, I never liked the Smoky Greys. I do however love our black mode jerseys and no, I don’t want to hear blowback on my comment on the Smoky Greys, I’m still salty about last Saturday and there’s no telling how I’ll respond. Shut up Glitch, drvenner, Weezie and TNPossum.

This. The greys are awful looking. Yes, the helmet is cool but the overall uni is terrible and the Holloway one is an abomination only Nike could love. The black mode jerseys, however, are perfect. And it makes sense. Black was an original color but gray never was no matter how much they try to stretch the truth on that.

Oline problems is really killing the stars don’t matter narrative ……
I think it’s overblown. We upgraded at LT. Got the same RG as last season…he’s simply had a couple meh games. RT has missed Wright who’s doing his own struggling in Chicago, but until the college game turns NFL format, you’re going to have transitions. So we’re down to center where (surprise!) Cooper being unavailable was a disastrous recipe in THE SWAMP! And the fact that Karic was the poster child for what wasn’t going to work all off-season, yet has been a solid performer belies the panic we’ve manufactured. This was a bad performance…over and done. We’ve trotted out several over the past couple of seasons and the difference between now (under Heupel) and previous regimes is that our kids LEARN from it. Because these coaches know their football. I do lay blame for the needless Mincey drama and the continual defensive back mess at their feet. But getting back to the OL as a whole? We’re in year 3 under Heupel and Ellarbee, and it’s not the hopeless quagmire it had been since Fulmer got booted as HC. This was a BAD GAME people! Skip the Jonestown packet when mixing the punch.

I didn't see that many opportunities to scramble for him. Maybe one or two other opportunities other than the one he did take?

Re-watching it was just ridiculous to me how costly the penalties were to our rhythm.

My biggest issue with coaching was not freaking QB sneaking it on fourth and one. Heuepl is an IDIOT for going out of the freaking shotgun. Coaches just can't get out of their own way sometimes.
I think we make that if the official hadn't stopped the game for Florida to substitute. Lane was ready to snap and both side were aligned and set.

It reminded me of the infamous play at Bama when the official took an official timeout for Nickie because we were set to score in the wildcat.

This. The greys are awful looking. Yes, the helmet is cool but the overall uni is terrible and the Holloway one is an abomination only Nike could love. The black mode jerseys, however, are perfect. And it makes sense. Black was an original color but gray never was no matter how much they try to stretch the truth on that.
This. The grey is OK but not great by any means.
I would be happy as hell if the dark modes were permanent.

Reactions: UTProf
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back