Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volquest guys brought that up in their podcast. Said that Hooker was unbelievable at improvising and having a feel for the game. Many QB's don't . They said Milton kept starting audibles under 10 seconds left on the play clock. Sometimes you just need to trust the play for better or worse and run it with full intent and commitment. Maybe it gets you 80 yards, or maybe 2, but it won't cause penalties and busted assignments. It keeps you playing fast. Many defenses show things to have you check out of what you want. Then the defense goes back to what it was always going to do after you audible.

On the road, with big crowd noise, the fewer audibles the better.
Give me "Things That A 6th Year Quarterback Should Already Know for $100", Alex.

Is 49 the outlier or is 16 the outlier?

thinking, think, smart, secret, code, sugar, i see you, aha, insider,  finger wag, i got you, think about it, pam grier, you got me, i get it,  inside joke, you get me,

Totally agree. Heupel was distraught during the press conference today. We’re missing Hooker in a big way. His leadership for sure but also his ability to make plays when the pocket breaks down.

The defensive game plan the other day was baffling. Why didn’t we go after the QB? Beamer and Rattler can’t wait to play us.
If you're referring to blitzing, I agree. But every time we brought in our pass rush line, Napier audibled to the run off left tackle. It worked nearly every time.

"Divided locker room" talk is not accurate from what I've heard. They're down and angry. Some teammates aren't happy with Mays for holding out but I also understand why he's doing it.

Banks called a good second half but his first half game plan was bad.

My personal thoughts: I think the defense is hamstrung a bit. Our DBs aren't good enough to give the defensive line a break. We're only successful when the DL is told to go get it. But they can't do that the entire game, especially if the opponent is sustaining long drives. Or when 1 young guy is undisciplined and lets the QB leak out, or like when Herring didn't track the TE on UFs touchdown pass. Pearce had Mertz, but Herring went for Mertz and let the TE run out in the flat unmarked. Luckily we have a deeper rotation this year but its a lot of young guys.

I think we see a more of a disruptive DL starting going forward but they might get gassed as the game wears on.
Can we really say that Banks called a great 2nd half when FLA decided to basically go one dimensional for the most part and helped us look somewhat competent in the 2nd Half?

nobody should be talking about firing Heupel….. it is a huge concern that they feel like they need to flip their own roster with 11-12 transfers….Something is very wrong with that picture.
We have like 18 starters that are seniors and that 21 class is non existent. It’s not anything bad about the current team, we just need more guys

Last edited:
Can we really say that Banks called a great 2nd half when FLA decided to basically go one dimensional for the most part and helped us look somewhat competent in the 2nd Half?
...and if generating 9 offensive points in a half is considered great, what the hell are we going to deem subpar?

It would help if people read the quote for exactly what is says. "The operation of the offense" is speaking more about the mechanics of the offense than simply saying the offense would be more or less successful. And its a correct but unpopular way to view their coaching of the offense. The success (how many yards they get) is a result of multiple variables. He is simply saying that the offensive structure is being run correctly under Milton and that would not improve under Nico. He did not say Nico would not run for more yards on broken plays. He did not say that Nico would not be more accurate throwing on the run after being forced out of the pocket. He is not saying that Nico would not complete more downfield or intermediate passes.

The defensive gameplan was atrocious. Mertz didnt attempt a pass over 20 yards. We should have blitz his weak ass all game, but we sat back and let him pick us apart 5/10 yrd a throw.
You and I are on the same page. Florida was always run first. Do what Utah did. Keep beef on the DL and bring LB's and Safety's on blitz's. Switching to a small DL is exactly what they wanted, and expected. Poor defensive game plan and no adjustment till halftime. Guess what? Too damn late Mr. Banks. The damage was done.

i didn’t post it for drvenner…. i posted it for anyone interested bc i am concerned…. everything i read or hear leads to the assumption that there is a culture problem… A couple of days after the game i asked my person what was up with Joe bc they are friends… he said he didn’t know but he had talked to a guy in the facility(his friend) that said that he didn’t know what was up…. that the environment from the very beginning has been entirely different than the previous two seasons…. It was like half the team doesn’t care….. Take it for its worth…. everyone can decide to do with the info what they wish… I, personally, want all the info i can get…. i can figure out what i want to do with it.
Hang on. At first you said your nephew still knew people in the facility and that was your info. Now you’re saying that “your person” is friends with Joe. I’m not going to say who i know that’s saying COMPLETELY opposite of your “info”..but I’ll bet all my VolNation bucks that your info, made up or not, is incorrect

The comments about Pili are really nothing more than conjecture. He played just over a quarter of football for us against a really bad opponent. We don't really know how good he would have been.
He 100% absoluletly would not have had as many issues as Herring did getting the calls made and getting the defense lined up. Herring is a very talented young player who could end up being a great player. However, on Saturday his inexperience was exploited by the noise/environment and the offensive shifts and eye-candy that UF gave our defense.

It would help if people read the quote for exactly what is says. "The operation of the offense" is speaking more about the mechanics of the offense than simply saying the offense would be more or less successful. And its a correct but unpopular way to view their coaching of the offense. The success (how many yards they get) is a result of multiple variables. He is simply saying that the offensive structure is being run correctly under Milton and that would not improve under Nico. He did not say Nico would not run for more yards on broken plays. He did not say that Nico would not be more accurate throwing on the run after being forced out of the pocket. He is not saying that Nico would not complete more downfield or intermediate passes.
Yes and if Nico goes out there and isn't running it properly it will be worse, especially when the o-line has several false starts and can't block anybody.

People wanting to bench Joe are just still living in a Jarrett Guanantano head space and they can't really be reasoned with.

He 100% absoluletly would not have had as many issues as Herring did getting the calls made and getting the defense lined up. Herring is a very talented young player who could end up being a great player. However, on Saturday his inexperience was exploited by the noise/environment and the offensive shifts and eye-candy that UF gave our defense.
As far as you know. Wasn’t here long enough to be irreplaceable. “Would have” done in THE SWAMP is untested. There were many highly experienced Vol players who had crap games. What exempts Pili from that possibility in what would have been his first experience at that venue?

Once again, that is 100% conjecture. Pili played just over a quarter of football. Never in his entire career has he played a road game in an environment as loud and hostile as the Swamp.

Reactions: butchna
Last post for me today. What upsets me so much is how much I want success for Joe Milton. He has been a class act. He has been the best teammate. He is great with us fans at the games. He is hospitable to the media. He's a good man! I still think he can have a successful year. I will cheer for him every week. C'mon Joe! Go Vols.

As for Hadden.....................................................

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back