Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Death of college sports” looks good on her.
The college players coming back is somewhat overblown.
Most of them coming back weren't going going to be top tier picks anyway.

Coming back was probably going to be best option for most to improve draft position., NIL wasnt the only factor.

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
I would too, but apparently the hearing was only 70 minutes. I just don’t know what the AGs could have done in that time to change the judge’s mind on irreparable harm.

Thankfully, that won’t be an issue for the ultimate decision on the case. And to what @Orange_Crush alluded, I’m hoping the language of the judge’s decision today will make the NCAA stand down on going forward with enforcement.
The letter from UT chancellor may help make that distinction. The judge ruled against "irreparable" since the only harm argued so far had been monetary, and monetary harm isn't considered irreparable. You can sue after the fact to get repairs.

UT sent a letter stating that the NCAA is threatening major sanctions against UT based on after-the-fact enforcement of NIL rules. Think about it. The NCAA has brought up LOIC. They were bandying about post-season bans last time. There are fears for Nico's eligibility. All of these are possibilities on the table according to NCAA rules. That's the possibility of more than financial damages. It's experiences, Heisman runs, marketability, NFL stock...

I don't think it realistic to expect it won't be.

But if you want to move away from the NCAA... And avoid collective bargaining... Structured Revenue sharing is a potential path.

If you try to start capping nil, it will invite the under the table stuff, and requires collective bargaining because you're essentially limiting what a player can make by limiting what nil can do, which goes against the very merit of the case being brought against the NCAA.

It's an interesting dilemma and I think everyone believes the devil we don't know if better than the one we do...

And I'm not claiming this is the only/best way... Just thinking about 'what next', potentially without the NCAA... This is a path.
I’m pondering…sounds like your revenue sharing idea would keep athletes as non-employees of the university, individual athletes will do well when team(s) do well, and still allow for NIL opportunities…

1707843694293.gif

The judge really needs to issue the injunction. This NCAA 🐂💩 is an obvious vendetta against Tennessee. It's rigged up with faked rules and procedures after the fact, and executed in the context of the NCAA completely ignoring NIL practices by every other major team. It's obvious that our rivals are using the corrupt NCAA to harm a rival. The judge needs to stop it in its tracks.

I wish there were a transcript. Wonder if one will be forthcoming.

The college players coming back is somewhat overblown.
Most of them coming back weren't going going to be top tier picks anyway.

Coming back was probably going to be best option for most to improve draft position., NIL wasnt the only factor.
But LIFE happened. Something is better…like viewership i.e INTEREST. The majority of good players aren’t “top tier” when they’re not flinging unused eligibility away as they have en masse since 1989? Take the win.

The letter from UT chancellor may help make that distinction. The judge ruled against "irreparable" since the only harm argued so far had been monetary, and monetary harm isn't considered irreparable. You can sue after the fact to get repairs.

UT sent a letter stating that the NCAA is threatening major sanctions against UT based on after-the-fact enforcement of NIL rules. Think about it. The NCAA has brought up LOIC. They were bandying about post-season bans last time. There are fears for Nico's eligibility. All of these are possibilities on the table according to NCAA rules. That's the possibility of more than financial damages. It's experiences, Heisman runs, marketability, NFL stock...
Yeah, I mentioned in a subsequent post that bringing up UT’s specific situation might help. All I had heard up to that point was that the NCAA had fumbled its defense of its own rules.

Yeah, I mentioned in a subsequent post that bringing up UT’s specific situation might help. All I had heard up to that point was that the NCAA had fumbled its defense of its own rules.
Josh Heupel also sent a letter to the court, describing non-monetary harm caused by the NIL rules--i.e. inability to recruit, which changes program and student athlete trajectory and can't be fixed after the fact.

“Without the NIL-recruiting ban, UT would be even more competitive in recruiting the best athletes to come play here,” Heupel wrote in the filing. “Harms like these are impossible to fix after the fact. You only get one playing career and you cannot go back in time. These harms can drastically alter the course of an athlete’s college education and their professional career (whether as a professional athlete or in another industry).”

I think I heard “70 minutes”. Probably not enough time to get a judge to change their mind but maybe there’s more today?
I don't know why that wouldn't be enough time. The judge's response to the TRO was, what, a couple pages? Not sure why they would need to stretch a discussion over a 2-3 page document over 3 hours.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
I don't know why that wouldn't be enough time. The judge's response to the TRO was, what, a couple pages? Not sure why they would need to stretch a discussion over a 2-3 page document over 3 hours.
I’m not a lawyer, need to preface with that, but I don’t think today’s hearing had anything to do with last week’s ruling. In fact, I think they’re both two separate issues. Again, I could be wrong.

Reactions: KptVFL
I’m not a lawyer, need to preface with that, but I don’t think today’s hearing had anything to do with last week’s ruling. In fact, I think they’re both two separate issues. Again, I could be wrong.
Last week was a TRO on NIL-enforcement to be effective until they could argue the merits of this temporary injunction on NIL-enforcement. They're basically the same issue.

For anyone it can help.

February 13, 2024: This is a time to set things right. Ask, and I will show you where you have gone wrong and how to proceed. Remember that presumption and fear are your enemies, and they will take you off course in a heartbeat. Take inventory to see if you are exhibiting the fruit of My Spirit, says the Lord. Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
One of my favorite versus. I read that as “fruits”for years not “fruit” totally changes the meaning. You don’t get to pick. The fruit is all of these, sadly on best days I manage a few but not all😔 Each day another chance to be better🙏🏻

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back