Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big difference between 8-4 where the team fought hard and played generally good football in the 4 losses versus showing up completely unprepared in 4 embarrassing losses. Anecdotal, but the majority of rational fans I've talked to are more upset with the staff's and players' lack of focus and embarrassing performance on both sides of the ball than the actual loss.

FWIW, I expected a 9-3/8-4 season after losing a lot of talent and major questions about whether Milton could run the offense. But Saturday was a complete embarrassment any way you look at it.
Exactly. I'm obviously not happy with a loss, but we didn't even look like belonged on the field with a trash Florida team. That's the absolute kick to the nuts.

I didn't want to say it, but I've been thinking it. . . Halzle's inexperience as an OC is showing up in the play calls. Would be nice if Heupel just turned down Halzle's microphone and called the plays without suggestions. I'd like to see that and make light speed a priority for a couple quarters. I bet we look A LOT better.
Heupel. Calls. The. Plays.

You know who woos during Rocky Top? Communists, that's who. And communists ruin everything.
Commies GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

Reactions: Volunteer821
I'd argue that Milton's documented inability to quickly process defenses/reads and our shoddy OL are more significant factors responsible for the offense's poor performance than Halzle. WRs haven't been helping either.

There's no doubt that Golesh could add wrinkles, but at the end of the day this is CJH's offense. He's not going to entrust it to someone who doesn't know what they're doing. With an average, "game manager" QB and a decent OL, this offense would be fine, IMO.
Milton's "documented inability" based off of the assessment of Volnation posters? I'm even one of the people that thinks he reads/processes slowly, but I wouldn't claim that his inability to read/process quickly is "documented".

Because we should have skull drug them. Preseason this was a mismatch and plenty of non tennessee people including Florida fans thought we'd kill them.

But of course, we've had significant injuries, we fell apart and Florida magically puts it all together and Graham Mertz who has been AWFUL for three years magically puts it together.

We are just forever cursed there. They could play with a team of midgets and beat us in Gainesville. I will never expect to beat them there ever again. This is was by far our best shot since 2003. Doesn't matter. Cursed.

It's also why I'm not overreacting and batching and moaning saying we are losing to USCjr and A&M. They don't have a Gator script on their helmets and we thus automatically play way better on that fact alone.
The 200+ yards rushing for Florida had a lot more to do with the loss than the passing performance from Mertz.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Well you’re talking about 1-10 yards.
The stat I was referencing is “at or behind” LOS - or phrased another way - “less than 1 yard”.

You’re right when you say there’s a huge difference in our offenses. Unfortunately…

Last year’s offense was awesome.
Oh yes I was agreeing, it seems we’ve replaced most of the 1-10 yard passes from last year with screens and passes behind the LOS. Which is odd because we’ve been seeing more man2man and you typically don’t wanna run screens against man 2 man unless the defense is being over aggressive.

Last year most teams ran a lot of zone vs us and didn’t press our WR’s to try to limit big pass plays, and since huepel runs a lot of Option routes I think that’s why we saw a lot of those short passes. Now teams are running M2M and playing their CB’s closer to the LOS, I don’t think the correct counter to that is screen passes. So we’ll see if something changes moving forward. We saw a little adjustment in the 2nd half vs UF, but the question is was that a product of the score? Or because of the defense UF was running? We’ll find out soon

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Heupel. Calls. The. Plays.
Halzle is doing something other than fetching coffee.

There has been a QB drop off, a WR drop off, and an OL drop off. But the tempo is slower, the play calling seems to be entirely based on box math, and the entire operation has just looked painfully difficult, even at home.

Oh yes I was agreeing, it seems we’ve replaced most of the 1-10 yard passes from last year with screens and passes behind the LOS. Which is odd because we’ve been seeing more man2man and you typically don’t wanna run screens against man 2 man unless the defense is being over aggressive.

Last year most teams ran a lot of zone vs us and didn’t press our WR’s to try to limit big pass plays, and since huepel runs a lot of Option routes I think that’s why we saw a lot of those short passes. Now teams are running M2M and playing their CB’s closer to the LOS, I don’t think the correct counter to that is screen passes. So we’ll see if something changes moving forward. We saw a little adjustment in the 2nd half vs UF, but the question is was that a product of the score? Or because of the defense UF was running? We’ll find out soon
Also worth mentioning on passes between 1-10 yards Hooker completed 82% which goes up to a ridiculous 91% when you take away drops. Hooker was taken for granted and underrated by the national media

I don't post a lot in here, but I do keep up occasionally. This is my post from a thread in the zone about my wife. Long story short, she lost her bladder a few years ago. They use part of your intestine to make a conduit for a drain to a bag(sorry to be gross). Most people drain the bacteria, but hers has always went back to her kidneys. Constant infection, several times she's gotten sepsis, and we almost lost her a couple of times. Very shortly, Drs at USC Keck medical center are going to attempt to make her the world's first bladder transplant recipient. This is big, could make her normal again (she's basically living off of daily IV treatment), but risky. Just sharing to ask if you pray, please keep her in your prayers.
Prayers sent.

The problem is that it's a seller's market. There are not a ton of guys that fit this bill and everybody wants them.
I agree. Everyone around here seems to think we'll be able to just grab 15-20 game-changing guys out of the portal at basically every position. There are exceptions, but more often than not players are in the portal because they weren't good enough to start at their previous school. All the top schools are fighting over those exceptions.

Milton's "documented inability" based off of the assessment of Volnation posters? I'm even one of the people that thinks he reads/processes slowly, but I wouldn't claim that his inability to read/process quickly is "documented".
Not pulling the trigger after reading the play, does not DOCUMENT anything specific. It COULD COULD COULD mean that as he goes through the progressions that the quantity and frequency of receivers being open is seriously less than last year, and COULD COULD COULD be in part becuase the OL protections are not giving the receivers the same amount of time on their routes. WAY too many moving parts to assess the breakdown of the breakdowns in our efficiency. Arrogant application of assumptions by agenda driven posters is also a high probability. The nega to pumper ratio of analysis is way skewed to the nega side. Not a new trend on free and anonymous message boards.

Exactly.

Offense hasn't been what folks were expecting and defense has been a bit bipolar.

Lots were just convinced we'd walk into Gainesville and skull drag them. Not real sure why anyone would have expected that. Away night games in the SEC are just different. That gives me a lot of hope about the next few weeks at Neyland. GBO!
i thought we would win…….. maybe a heart wrenching loss but didn’t expect to get skull drug ourselves.

Reactions: KptVFL
Not pulling the trigger after reading the play, does not DOCUMENT anything. It COULD COULD COULD mean that as he goes through the progressions that the quantity and frequency of receivers being open is seriously less than last year, and COULD COULD COULD be in part becuase the OL protections are not giving the receivers the same amount of time on their routes. WAY too many moving parts to assess the breakdown of the breakdowns in our efficiency. Arrogant application of assumptions by agenda driven posters is also a high probability. The nega to pumper ratio of analysis is way skewed to the nega side. Not a new trend on free and anonymous message boards.
Preach!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back