Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not pulling the trigger after reading the play, does not DOCUMENT anything specific. It COULD COULD COULD mean that as he goes through the progressions that the quantity and frequency of receivers being open is seriously less than last year, and COULD COULD COULD be in part becuase the OL protections are not giving the receivers the same amount of time on their routes. WAY too many moving parts to assess the breakdown of the breakdowns in our efficiency. Arrogant application of assumptions by agenda driven posters is also a high probability. The nega to pumper ratio of analysis is way skewed to the nega side. Not a new trend on free and anonymous message boards.
I'm assuming this post wasn't directed at me (but rather was directed to the guy to whom I was responding) since I specifically said that NOTHING IS DOCUMENTED.

Milton can’t be that bad throwing down the field that they change the entire offense to make him throw behind the line… everyone acting like he’s JG. I think it’s the OL that is causing us to get the quick throws out. Milton isn’t near as awful as everyone acts like he is. He’s no Hendon but who is.
I think the oline has something to do with it. But Milton is only releasing the ball .1 seconds faster, and hooker actually faced pressure on more % of drop backs so far than Milton. The problem isn’t that were throwing it quicker compared to last year, it’s that we’ve replaced short passes with screens

I'm assuming this post wasn't directed at me (but rather was directed to the guy to whom I was responding) since I specifically said that NOTHING IS DOCUMENTED.
Correct.... Until folks posting on boards gain access to all the camera angles the staff has to review making strong declarative statements is what it is, and it ain't flattering. Need to know the prescribed routes as well.

I love VolNation.

I don’t ignore anybody and I wouldn’t trade a single one of you for a fan of any other team of any sport on earth. I miss some of the posters over the years that for whatever reason no longer come here to share their opinions or perhaps, in the case of some, to make mischief.

I visit a lot of our opponent’s message boards for research and to assess the mood of that fanbase. All fanbases, particularly fanbases of the big 6 in the SEC, are similar but I’m not sure any can compete with VolNation.

They say winning cures all but with most is who did you beat. Beating Florida anyway possible is a big win, same with Alabama, LSU, Georgia, etc. Most teams we expect to beat and we get especially bent out of shape if we lose to one of the lesser schools on our schedule or look sloppy in our performance.

We’re known as a very passionate fanbase and while I hope that never changes I’m getting a bit too old to allow myself to get as worked up as I might have in my younger years. Boiling mad isn’t good for the blood pressure or heart rate. lol

I hope you guys never change and I hope not a single one of you ever quits. This is VolNation and I don’t care what anyone else says, I love this place and everyone who makes it what it is. jmo.

When the going gets tough, they say, the tough get going. Keep doing your thing VolNation. Hang in there. I'd miss you terribly if you weren't here. jmo.

Milton can’t be that bad throwing down the field that they change the entire offense to make him throw behind the line… everyone acting like he’s JG. I think it’s the OL that is causing us to get the quick throws out. Milton isn’t near as awful as everyone acts like he is. He’s no Hendon but who is.
Nico…

Milton's "documented inability" based off of the assessment of Volnation posters? I'm even one of the people that thinks he reads/processes slowly, but I wouldn't claim that his inability to read/process quickly is "documented".
I am not sure how much reading he had to do, but he threw an absolute dime to Bru on the TD pass after he shifted left in the pocket to avoid pressure. Helluva play.

I tried to give a friendly reminder that year 3 expectations were 8-4 when Heupel was first hired and that we shouldn't change those expectations because he overachieved with his 1st two teams. "Expectations change", "10 wins should be minimum now", etc. . . nonsense.
It’s not about wins and losses to me. If we go 7-5 but other teams are just better than us, then so be it. Even if we lose to SC in a couple weeks, it all depends on how we play. If we look well coached and we play hard yet fall short, that’s fine.

But going 7-5 or 8-4 because you look bad and not well coached, that’s a different story.

JMO

Not sure if I'm the only one, but I feel like the offense isn't that far away. They've had a lot of self inflicted wounds that are drive killers, mostly from the interior of the o-line. If they can get better play from the center, then I think we see the offense take a big step forward. They might not ever reach the output from last season, but they can be good. Once they get the o-line playing better, then we can determine how effective Milton can be...and I think he'll be solid.

I made the mistake of expecting the offense to hit the ground running right from the start, but there are too many new pieces at key positions and it could realistically take 4-5 games into the season for everything to click. Losing Mays just made it more challenging. Imagine Wright being out at RT for several games last season. That definitely would've hurt the offense and probably killed several scoring drives.

I do think the defense is better than last season, as long as Banks lets them be aggressive and quits playing all the soft coverage.

I remember last year after the Pitt game that we had plenty of folks thinking it would take some luck to get to 9 wins because the team struggled to get that win. This team could very well "get right" against UTSA and go on a great run this season. I do think the offense showed signs of waking up in the second half against UF but they just couldn't finish drives. I'm going to stay optimistic for now.

14-1

If Cooper has been practicing all week how is he a gametime decision? Lying about timeframe of injuries builds false expectations.
He didn't say Cooper has been practicing all week. He said Cooper and Mincey "have been with them in practice all week long." See the difference? They could be AT practice, but not actually participating. Your expectation should be that Cooper will be a game-time decision. That is EXACTLY what Heupel just told you.

Not sure if I'm the only one, but I feel like the offense isn't that far away. They've had a lot of self inflicted wounds that are drive killers, mostly from the interior of the o-line. If they can get better play from the center, then I think we see the offense take a big step forward. They might not ever reach the output from last season, but they can be good. Once they get the o-line playing better, then we can determine how effective Milton can be...and I think he'll be solid.

I made the mistake of expecting the offense to hit the ground running right from the start, but there are too many new pieces at key positions and it could realistically take 4-5 games into the season for everything to click. Losing Mays just made it more challenging. Imagine Wright being out at RT for several games last season. That definitely would've hurt the offense and probably killed several scoring drives.

I do think the defense is better than last season, as long as Banks lets them be aggressive and quits playing all the soft coverage.

I remember last year after the Pitt game that we had plenty of folks thinking it would take some luck to get to 9 wins because the team struggled to get that win. This team could very well "get right" against UTSA and go on a great run this season. I do think the offense showed signs of waking up in the second half against UF but they just couldn't finish drives. I'm going to stay optimistic for now.

14-1
I won't say that you're the only one, but I will say that I disagree with you.

He didn't say Cooper has been practicing all week. He said Cooper and Mincey "have been with them in practice all week long." See the difference? They could be AT practice, but not actually participating. Your expectation should be that Cooper will be a gametime decision. That is EXACTLY what Heupel just told you.
They also could be practicing all week but Heupel is hoping they won't need Mays this weekend so he can keep healing and be ready for the South Carolina game. Maybe Heupel hasn't decided if he needs Mays to play or not.

14 and 1 amirite!??
damn right - Imgflip

He didn't say Cooper has been practicing all week. He said Cooper and Mincey "have been with them in practice all week long." See the difference? They could be AT practice, but not actually participating. Your expectation should be that Cooper will be a game-time decision. That is EXACTLY what Heupel just told you.
I don’t anticipate Cooper playing at least for another two weeks at a minimum based on what his docs have said and hearing he wouldn’t be back until sometime in October (at the earliest).

This is all just “kick the can down the road” coach speak for the media.

They also could be practicing all week but Heupel is hoping they won't need Mays this weekend so he can keep healing and be ready for the South Carolina game. Maybe Heupel hasn't decided if he needs Mays to play or not.
I agree. My point was that this was yet another example of someone reading into a statement what he wants to hear. Heupel never said that Cooper has been practicing all week. He said that Cooper and Mincey "have been with them in practice all week long." That is an unusual way of wording things, and there is likely a reason for that.

Reactions: Lloyd_Christmas
We don't know if he is or isn't..... But you know who has the best handle on that..... The coaching staff, I'll trust their evaluation.
Sounds like what everyone says during bad coaching hires and bad coaching decisions. Not saying anything about Heupel as I think he is the man. But even great coaches making bad decisions.

Slaughter sitting bench last year for so long.-
Milton over a Hooker until an injury.

Sometimes they are blinded by practice and just trying to force something that isn’t working.

If Cooper has been practicing all week how is he a gametime decision? Lying about timeframe of injuries builds false expectations.

He has yet to be truthful about injuries. LA Vol I think said that he never gives any information about players' availability. He also said with them in practice, not that they practiced.

I don’t anticipate Cooper playing at least for another two weeks at a minimum based on what his docs have said and hearing he wouldn’t be back until sometime in October (at the earliest).

This is all just “kick the can down the road” coach speak for the media.
Communication is about how other people interpret your message. It's leading people to believe he will be ready. You aren't a game time decision for 3 weeks.

Reactions: Vols4us
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back