Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got bad diabetic, neuropathic feet. Fell for every ad hawking athletic shoes…none worked well. Mostly used Sketcher’s slip ons for everyday use. Went to Costco and took a flyer on their Sketcher’s slip on walking shoes with memory foam. $34 and the best purchase I’ve made in that department in a decade or so.
Might have to try them. Neuropathy has made it challenging for me also

A very knowledgeable poster in the baseball forum (TaylorVol) posted last night that "CMO will be back at 2B tomorrow. I hope he’s better as his leg was obviously giving him discomfort today. He didn’t even take infield practice today so I hope it isn’t anything serious."
I just read that CTV said in the post game interview yesterday that he expected CMo to start today. I usually watch or read it but I'm on a trip to visit family. Someone who saw it could confirm and also tell whether Tony said 2nd base or DH.

The week leading up to the 105th running of the Belmont Stakes on June 9, 1973 had been thoroughly Secretariat. Having won the first two legs of the Triple Crown – the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes – it was no wonder casual racing fans and even novice fans who couldn’t tell the difference between a stallion and a gelding were suddenly following the big red colt with the blue and white checkered silks.

With Vietnam and Watergate grabbing the majority of national headlines, it was the three-year-old colt born in Virginia that the nation rallied upon. And why not? There was no hint of corruption. No hint of sadness and disappointment. Just the opposite. This chestnut colored horse with the peculiar name offered hope to a reeling nation looking for a respite from the full-court press of war and scandal.

With more than 69,000 jammed into hot and steamy Belmont Park hoping for a glimpse of history, nobody was cooler in the heat than Secretariat himself. As ticket holders jammed the standing room area to get as good a look as possible at the colt who leading up to the race had graced the covers of TIME, Newsweek and Sports Illustrated in the very same week, Secretariat stood calmly in his stall biding his time.

When the starting bell rang and the gates lifted, Secretariat broke well on the inside and shot toward the lead. Turcotte would make sure there would be no chance of getting boxed in, figuring they can’t cut off what they can’t catch. Before the group hit the first turn, Sham had moved to near the front on the outside and was looking to challenge his nemesis.

As the drama played out on the track, announcer Chic Anderson set the tone.

“They’re moving for the first turn. It’s Secretariat, Sham on the outside is also moving strongly and now it’s Sham. Sham and Secretariat are right together in the first turn.”
As they made their way through the turn and hit the backstretch it had become a two-horse race. The other contenders – My Gallant, Twice a Prince and Private Smiles – had already fallen at least eight lengths back of the two leaders now going head to head.

Veteran horsemen were shocked. What was Turcotte thinking going so fast?

“They’re on the backstretch. It’s almost a match race now. Secretariat’s on the inside by a head. Sham is on the outside.”

As they hit the backstretch, they had opened a 10 length lead on the field. And then the big horse simply took over.

To watch Secretariat on video footage of the race is to watch a virtuoso at his best. An artist on four legs. With Turcotte simply hanging on, it was Secretariat that continued to set his own pace.

“He was going so easy,” Turcotte recalled later, “and I said, ‘Well, I’m not going to fight you, fella, let’s take it from here.’”

What is it that makes a horse want to run?

“They’re moving on the turn now. For the turn it’s Secretariat. He looks like he’s opening. The lead is increasing. Make it three, three and a half. He’s moving into the turn. Secretariat is holding onto a large lead. Sham is second and then it’s a long way back to My Gallant and Twice a Prince.”

“Here comes Secretariat to the wire. An unbelievable, an amazing performance. He hits the finish 22 lengths in front!”

Actually, it was 31 lengths in front when he crossed the wire. And the time of 2:24 shattered the old mark by almost three seconds and remains a track record for the race still today.

View attachment 647121
Gives me goosebumps every single time!

Absolutely embarassing stat. Most talented player pool and roster in national history being wasted and grossly mismanaged by this coach.

A second embarassing stat: the 5 goals allowed yesterday were the most since 2009 (Mexico - Gold Cup) and 1990 (Czechoslovakia - World Cup).

So maybe the silver lining is it will finally get this oaf canned after Copa and force USSF to bring in the best money can buy for 2026.

View attachment 647122
Re-hiring him was a sure sign that the US still isn’t serious about competing in this sport.

South Carolina and Memphis for sure. I'll go to my grave believing Beamer took stolen signs from Harbaugh.
Extreme and usual corruption on the part of the NCAA to have deliberately turned a blind eye to it. There were seats purchased by the same Michigan guy in the same position opposite the signals. And the game broadcast accidentally provided witness of the wristbands Beamer used.

Basically Michigan and SCar corrupted the integrity of the playoffs. It's tainted. And Harbaugh did it a second year with CFP and NCAA permission. Both years need asterisks all over them. It needs to be treated the same way a universally-known gambling incident would be except with the NCAA as the organized crime behind the stolen games.

Really every school but Michigan and SCar should sue the criminal NCAA that they knowingly protected Harbaugh until he could get an NFL job. It seems that lawsuits offer the only possible justice wherever the RICO NCAA is concerned.

I have a friend who is getting a divorce. I asked him what happened. He said his wife asked him to name all of his sexual partners, in order from the time he lost his virginity. He said he realized too late he probably should have stopped when he got to his wife's name on the list.

There are some famous knights that were part of King Arthur's round table. Sir Lancelot, Sir Galahad, Sir Gawain. There is a little known knight who should get more recognition since he built the Round Table: Sir Cumference.
tenor-15.gif

It’d be so Tennessee for Evansville to be razor thin at pitching and have to go to a position player to win the game and they do just that a la KY and their WR @ QB.

I’m fully prepared for the choke job of the century today. Optimism just ain’t there today mostly due to our pitching.

Hope the BaseVols prove me wrong today!
parksandrec-wiping.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back