Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
So funny how the self-proclaimed “realists” only open their mouths when there’s something to complain about. Crickets when we win.
It's kinda like they aren't smart enough to realize when they do that they are losing the facade of being a "realist" and just displaying clear evidence of who they are and why they act the way they do.

Hopefully Caldwell is the woman version of Vitello for WBB. Recruiting dominance and Coaching. People argue about both but truth is you’ve gotta have both to be truly an elite program in college athletics. Vitello just fires everyone up. There’s a hope with him like there was with Pat and the LV’s, bammers and Saban, Florida and Meyer, Ohio State and Meyer, Georgia and Kirby. LSU and Skip Bertman. They recruit, develop and dominate leave everyone else wondering wtf just happened

I think the early lead cost us Saturday. I think the comeback Saturday and the suffocating domination Sunday preps well for Omaha.

That Saturday loss clearly gave Tony and the team some juice.

Like Tony said we will pick up where Evansville left off and play the role of underdog. Since no number one has won the tournament.
It reminded them that on any given day...

That was a "good loss" to EU. Must have 100% focus and effort, pitch by pitch.

The game changes in Omaha. The 8 best playing teams are there. They survived. The park is less conducive to dingers and friendlier to pitchers who can locate and change speeds. Playing dependable, good defense matters. Hitter plate approaches and level swings matter more along with increasing opponent pitch counts. Going up the middle and opposite field matters more subject to defensive alignments. Guys barreling the ball and not trying for homers every AB matters more.

The coaches and players have this. They know what it is about and how to go about it. Looking for the natty to come home to Rocky Top.

This team is an elite team. Our offense is elite. Our pitching is elite as a group. ERA and wins proves that. Even elite teams are going to have an off night. Yes, we may take 3 games to win some series, but no team wants that series to be against us.

This team is like the biggest boa constrictor in college baseball. We may not have one guy that knocks you out, but as a collective we will suffocate anyone.
Excellent description and spot on.

I loved Tony's speech because this is exactly how I feel about sports. That's why I defend our successful coaches/teams so furiously. He is right, the 2022 team had everyone talking about college baseball. People loved us or loved to hate us and they were watching. (And this team has more homeruns and is going to Omaha). Rick Barnes has some of the greatest basketball teams that our VOLS ever had. Heupel's team under NCAA penalties beat Saban Alabama with the top draft pick quarterback. We have a great AD. I like our new ladies basketball coach hire and that Barnes thinks she's going to be great. I'd rather not read nega comments all the time, and I know we get frustrated, but some people just come off as trolls if we don't win it all.

Just another in a long line of sleazebags who’ve coached at Auburn.

Tub is a true POS

from his days at Texas Tech (after Auburn):
Tommy Tuberville was in such a rush to leave Texas Tech that he didn't even have time to finish his dinner.

Junior college offensive lineman Devonte Danzey, who was in Lubbock for an official visit last weekend, told the recruiting site Wreckem247.com that Tuberville stepped away from a dinner with several recruits and assistant coaches Friday night and never returned. Saturday morning, Tuberville surprised many by accepting an offer to become Cincinnati's coach.

Danzey told Wreckem247.com he asked Tuberville about his future plans at Texas Tech and how long he expected to remain with the program, but Tuberville tiptoed around the question.

Moments later, Danzey said, Tuberville disappeared.

Yep game 1 is FSU.

The brackets will be double elimination too.

TN vs FSU
UNC vs Virginia
Kentucky vs winner of GA/NC State
A&M vs Florida
FL St put a hurtin on UConn, but we are a completely different team than uconn...

Has anyone watched them this season? Strengths/Weakness?

REALLY good hands!! Quite honestly, I think our we and our fanbase deserves every bit of it, after the 15 years of trash we had to go through.

I think of Jimmy Cheek, Dave Hart, John Currie, Fulmer, and Beverly Davenport. Horrible leadership.

I think of the string of bad coaches across several sports: Cuonzo, Tyndall, Raleigh, Dooley, Butch, Cornbread. All in over their head.

Some names, I left off due to them trying their best and just unfortunately not working out: Serrano, Warlick, Harper

That era was miserable. We endured it, so we could become the gold standard of collegiate athletics.

Last edited:
FL St put a hurtin on UConn, but we are a completely different team than uconn...

1718031065883.png

1718031024487.png

pics didn't come in well. The long and the short of it is that they have a good batting average and hit bombs too. Not as many bombs as us, but a number good enough when combined with their batting avg.

Watched parts of a couple of games. Hitting is the strength - but only about 125 or so dingers. BA is above .315 as a team. We score at a higher rate by 10+%.. Team ERA is 4.86. UNC is 4.22 as a comparison. Ours is 3.83. Similar to us on D. Quality team, just not elite. All things being equal, we win 2 out of 3 heads up IMO.

I watched them beat the piss out of Florida. That is the only time i have seen them.
Batting Avg
Vols .310 (21st) vs FSU .316 (9th)

ERA
Vols 3.90 (6th) vs FSU 4.86 (44th)

Hits
Vols 685 (6th) vs FSU 688 (5th)

Homers
Vols 166 (1st) vs FSU 123 (7th)

On Base %
Vols .416 (22nd) vs FSU .414 (24th)

Strikeouts per 9-innings
Vols 10.1 (22nd) vs FSU 10.9 (7th)

WHIP
Vols 1.23 (2nd) vs FSU 1.47 (54th)

During Tony's beautiful postgame rant he mentioned Jared Dickey and the 2022 team saying (para), "Love em or hate em, that team got everyone talking about and watching college baseball."

Which prompted a thought with me...

Do you think the regionals and supers would all have been nationally televised now if it hadn't been for that 2022 team?

If it hadn't been the team that brought more energy and excitement and drama and flair to the sport? Stuff that permeated throughout CBB where we saw other teams doing celebrations and props and bat flips.

I don't remember when they started broadcasting all the games to be honest. I remember not too long ago the only college baseball games I'd see on ESPN were the CWS final series. Then around 2018 I remember all of Omaha being broadcasted, then a few years later the Supers and big regional matchups. Now it's like a little March Madness.

Strength is their offense. 5 guys with 10+ HRs. 6 guys with substantial ABs hitting .300+ (and the 5 with 10+ HRs are all on this list). A guy hitting .402 - Cam Smith. Another with 28 HRs - James Tibbs.

1 dominant starter on staff - Jamie Arnold (100.2 IP, 155 Ks, 2.77 ERA). Team ERA 4.86. Oxford is best guy out of the pen 2.94 ERA, 6 saves, 52 IP.

Strength is their offense. 5 guys with 10+ HRs. 6 guys with substantial ABs hitting .300+ (and the 5 with 10+ HRs are all on this list). A guy hitting .402 - Cam Smith. Another with 28 HRs - James Tibbs.

1 dominant starter on staff - Jamie Arnold (100.2 IP, 155 Ks, 2.77 ERA). Team ERA 4.86. Oxford is best guy out of the pen 2.94 ERA, 6 saves, 52 IP.
So, thinking they start with Arnold or save him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back