Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I asked specifically why this kid with commit able offers from Bama and Georgia is only rated a 3 star by these so called experts that you and others swear by?

Yet, you wanted to be a smart a$$ while avoiding the question?

Don’t play dumb.
I just want to thank the two of you. This is the traditional fight about recruiting services that proceeds the commitment booms. Very nice that the two of you could get that out of the way for us. 😂

To your point, I don’t care about rating. If a kid is wanted by both Bama and Georgia then he’s a pretty damn good player.

gazers lack curiosity. they will never accept Jesse Perry until his redshirt JR campaign and all-SEC designation, and by then, it's too late to redeem themselves. dealing in prophecy as purely long term investment, so they can "told ya so" down the road. lazy, really. I do believe the average joe has the ability to evaluate talent. You generally know a good singer, dancer, acting performance; why also can't you develop the eye for the ability of an athlete on the gridiron? Hudl allows us to see what the coaches are seeing. Why not try to get a sense of why they believe in these recruits? We are able to describe what works with a polished athlete (Cedric Tillman is able to go up and get the tough catch in traffic, Jalin Hyatt has generational separation speed, etc). Why not for recruits? The star system, due to its natural constraints, relies on a certain amount of failure or "misses" to keep the wheels going, and it is in this failure where curious recruitniks can develop a keen eye for talent. Learn about the game of football and the systems within it, and always watch the film.

There is nothing perfect in this system, and in that way, freedom to make mistakes and be bold in your analysis. I always appreciate a good argument for why a player will be good for a system or not, if the analysis is rooted in film study and a wider measurement, beyond "5 stars duh" or "3 stars duh", even if I disagree on the analysis. Following only star ranking is a lazy and boring choice, and as a forum dedicated to following the recruiting period of the game, it should be frowned upon the moment it arrives. That's for the football forum. This is for analysis of recruits and the excitement that their abilities can bring for our system of ball. Sure it's fun getting 5 stars, and empirical evidence makes it a smart bet to wager on those teams winning games, but blindly following it without analysis of why the staff may prefer a 3* over a 4* is silly without first developing a sense for what it is you are talking about.

my humble, if poorly worded, opinion
Perfectly articulated.

HUDL is a huge key as nobody here is going to fly across the county every Friday night to see a player play in person. Impossible.

So HUDL is essential, and you use that film, your own experiences to come up with a assessment.
You can't go just by college offers either, because nobody knows which offers are viable or not.
Checking the visits is the closest we have to doing that.

But you said it. Going by star ranking is absolutely lazy...

As if stars physically make a person talented.

And I asked specifically why this kid with commit able offers from Bama and Georgia is only rated a 3 star by these so called experts that you and others swear by?

Yet, you wanted to be a smart a$$ while avoiding the question?

Don’t play dumb.
Lol wut? Looks like GoodTime asked that question -

How this kid is 3 star with his suitors I will never understand

You just followed it up with a really dumb strawman. Which is what I responded to.

Are you confused, again?

You could sign them to blind people..... Nobody would laugh.

Funny (to me story) my mum is 100% blind. I had a friend that had been accepted to Harvard Law.
I don't remember how it came up but she learned my mum was blind and all of the sudden got very excited and animated and asked if my mum knew sign language.
I stared blankly for a little while before laughing uproariously at her expense.

I remember we had a couple of vehicles that said they had ac on the dash but it never worked. My dad said ac killed your gas mileage anyway, just roll down the windows and open the wing. Wings were great (except when they threw a yellow jacket in your lap), should have never gotten rid of them.
Had a 69 Camaro behind us on the road going to church Sunday and was explaining to my wife and son how to tell the difference between 67, 68, 69….. then had to explain what vent windows are

Lol wut? Looks like GoodTime asked that question -

You just followed it up with a really dumb strawman. Which is what I responded to.

Are you confused, again?

So dumb that 6 other posters agreed with my statement.

If you’re butt hurt, just say so.

Vols and FSU have combined for 36 runs (18 each) in the CWS.

The rest of the field has combined for 38 runs.

Vols (2-0) - 18
FSU (1-1) - 18
TAMU (2-0) - 8
NCSU (0-2) - 8*
UF (1-1) - 7
UK (1-1) - 6
UVA (0-2) - 5*
UNC (1-1) - 4

Runs Allowed:
FSU (1-1) - 14
Vols (2-0) - 12
UVA (0-2) - 10*
NCSU (0-2) - 10*
UK (1-1) - 9
UNC (1-1) - 8
UF (1-1) - 7
TAMU (2-0) - 3

Last edited:
It wasn't hard to run in them at all. I don't think the short ones make a difference. I'm all for the lighter/thinner pads. I just don't like when they roll the pants up mid-thigh. It looks stupid to me.
I just want tear away Jerseys one more time in life. That used to be one of the more exciting moments. When your running back was blazing down the sideline and the defender behind him was only clutching a piece of cloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back