Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a friend of mine and a VFL: (I thought you all would enjoy this as much as I did)

If you’ve ever wondered why I always wear a red rubber band, today’s a fitting day to learn the backstory.

My dad was a University of Houston alum and spent more than half his life living in Houston. He and my mom traveled to all three of Phi Slama Jama’s Final Fours, the football team once had a social event at our house, and even our tailgate van was red and white.

But when we moved to Nashville in 1989, his son – yeah, me – became a Tennessee fan. Without hesitation, my dad started wearing orange with even more passion than he had ever worn red. When Tennessee football won the national championship on Jan. 4, 1999, he ran around our living room jumping and screaming like a 7-year-old with unchecked access to the Halloween candy, while my mom held me as I equal parts sobbed and laughed.

Nothing could stop him from making my passion his passion, not even on the day he passed away. We lost my dad to a brain tumor on Oct. 5, 2002, the same day that Tennessee football beat Arkansas in six overtimes. He died 15 minutes after Jason Witten’s game-winning catch.

By then, I was fully immersed in the journalism world and covering Tennessee football. My high school fandom had hardened into cold objectivity and professionalism, but even the ethical reporter with a broken heart felt some sense of warmth that night.

After that, I decided that for all the orange my dad had worn for me that I would always wear red for him. So for 22 years, I’ve worn and worn out hundreds of red rubber bands. They’ve been with me for countless hikes, runs, camping trips, sporting events, and so many more passions that my dad and I shared.
We bonded over many things, but make no mistake: I grew up in a baseball house.

My dad was an all-star shortstop in high school, and he listened to every Astros’ game on the radio, meticulously filling out his scorebook. When we lived in Dallas, nothing made my dad laugh harder than when I would run through the batting stance of every Texas Ranger. (My Julio Franco always had him in tears.) When I played as a kid, I insisted on using my plastic giveaway Rangers’ glove instead of my nice leather Rawlings because a 19-year-old, 140-pound Sammy Sosa had signed the plastic one.

So when I tell you that my dad would have fallen head over heels in love with this Tennessee baseball team, it’s still a wild understatement.

He would have loved watching the maturation of Moore and Burke because their lack of discipline at the plate two years ago would have crawled all over him. He would have gleefully told anybody who would listen that having a bat like Kavares Tears in the 6-hole is a cheat code. He would have had to flip a coin between Zander and Kirby for his favorite player because quirky, underdog pitchers were his thing. (He even made his Rangers’ hat look like Charlie Huff’s.) He would have loved seeing Tennessee as a torchbearer bringing college baseball into the American zeitgeist because the 1994 strike distanced him and soured him on the game he loved so dearly. He would have loved how Ramsey’s game analysis has started to imitate my own. (“Dad, that was a dart from Cal Stark.” … “Dad, Drew’s stuff is so good today.” … “Dad, Christian crushed that one.”)

And he would have loved his 42-year-old son’s jubilant, childlike celebrations of Dylan Dreiling’s walkoff because they would have looked an awful lot like his own from Jan. 4, 1999.

We will not be in Omaha tonight or tomorrow. One Knoxville have a home game tonight. As a leader of the supporters group, I have made a commitment to growing soccer in this community, and I learned from my dad to follow through on my commitments.

However…

If Tennessee is playing for a national title on Monday night, Ramsey and I will be there. We will miss Jennifer who will have to work Monday, but we are not missing that game.

We’ll drive as father and son to Charles Schwab Field with my dad’s Tennessee hat, the glove he used his whole life, and three red rubber bands.
I’ll wear one. Ramsey will wear one.

And one will never leave that stadium because for all the orange that will be there, I need it to also have some red for him.

1719073136292.png

I’ve got a wedding and reception to go to. 🫤
I missed the first 4 innings live (I did watch it later) of the first game with FSU for the same reason. We all went to my sister's house after the reception and turned on the game, and my bro looked at the score and immediately exclaimed "We are going to win this game!" The crowd went wild. We outscored them 8-2 after that, including our KT's RBI HR, the great defensive plays, and our fabulous 9th inning rally.

The good thing about the wedding is that it arranged things such that I was in Tennessee and got to watch the game with them.

Idk why I call it Rocky Top Mkt. I guess cause Rocky Top is just a few hundred yards away. . . is that gas station there called Rocky Top Mkt or something? . .

And yea, their hotdogs were up at the top of the list of greatest ever assembled in a deli.
I believe there was a Rocky Top Market on Cumberland that had deli food. I think some said on here that it was where a lot of the football players went for late night eats.

The last wedding I attended was the Dobb Nail boot game. So maybe tonight will have similar vibes.
I hope so. I’m at the age now where I’m going to the weddings of friend’s kid’s. Nothing to do with the game, just a commentary on a point in my life that I can’t believe I’m at.

From a friend of mine and a VFL: (I thought you all would enjoy this as much as I did)

If you’ve ever wondered why I always wear a red rubber band, today’s a fitting day to learn the backstory.

My dad was a University of Houston alum and spent more than half his life living in Houston. He and my mom traveled to all three of Phi Slama Jama’s Final Fours, the football team once had a social event at our house, and even our tailgate van was red and white.

But when we moved to Nashville in 1989, his son – yeah, me – became a Tennessee fan. Without hesitation, my dad started wearing orange with even more passion than he had ever worn red. When Tennessee football won the national championship on Jan. 4, 1999, he ran around our living room jumping and screaming like a 7-year-old with unchecked access to the Halloween candy, while my mom held me as I equal parts sobbed and laughed.

Nothing could stop him from making my passion his passion, not even on the day he passed away. We lost my dad to a brain tumor on Oct. 5, 2002, the same day that Tennessee football beat Arkansas in six overtimes. He died 15 minutes after Jason Witten’s game-winning catch.

By then, I was fully immersed in the journalism world and covering Tennessee football. My high school fandom had hardened into cold objectivity and professionalism, but even the ethical reporter with a broken heart felt some sense of warmth that night.

After that, I decided that for all the orange my dad had worn for me that I would always wear red for him. So for 22 years, I’ve worn and worn out hundreds of red rubber bands. They’ve been with me for countless hikes, runs, camping trips, sporting events, and so many more passions that my dad and I shared.

My dad was an all-star shortstop in high school, and he listened to every Astros’ game on the radio, meticulously filling out his scorebook. When we lived in Dallas, nothing made my dad laugh harder than when I would run through the batting stance of every Texas Ranger. (My Julio Franco always had him in tears.) When I played as a kid, I insisted on using my plastic giveaway Rangers’ glove instead of my nice leather Rawlings because a 19-year-old, 140-pound Sammy Sosa had signed the plastic one.

So when I tell you that my dad would have fallen head over heels in love with this Tennessee baseball team, it’s still a wild understatement.

He would have loved watching the maturation of Moore and Burke because their lack of discipline at the plate two years ago would have crawled all over him. He would have gleefully told anybody who would listen that having a bat like Kavares Tears in the 6-hole is a cheat code. He would have had to flip a coin between Zander and Kirby for his favorite player because quirky, underdog pitchers were his thing. (He even made his Rangers’ hat look like Charlie Huff’s.) He would have loved seeing Tennessee as a torchbearer bringing college baseball into the American zeitgeist because the 1994 strike distanced him and soured him on the game he loved so dearly. He would have loved how Ramsey’s game analysis has started to imitate my own. (“Dad, that was a dart from Cal Stark.” … “Dad, Drew’s stuff is so good today.” … “Dad, Christian crushed that one.”)

And he would have loved his 42-year-old son’s jubilant, childlike celebrations of Dylan Dreiling’s walkoff because they would have looked an awful lot like his own from Jan. 4, 1999.

We will not be in Omaha tonight or tomorrow. One Knoxville have a home game tonight. As a leader of the supporters group, I have made a commitment to growing soccer in this community, and I learned from my dad to follow through on my commitments.

However…

If Tennessee is playing for a national title on Monday night, Ramsey and I will be there. We will miss Jennifer who will have to work Monday, but we are not missing that game.

We’ll drive as father and son to Charles Schwab Field with my dad’s Tennessee hat, the glove he used his whole life, and three red rubber bands.

And one will never leave that stadium because for all the orange that will be there, I need it to also have some red for him.

View attachment 651733
Wow. Speechless.

However…

View attachment 651733
happy-tears.gif

I believe there was a Rocky Top Market on Cumberland that had deli food. I think some said on here that it was where a lot of the football players went for late night eats.
Just before bridge on right headed west on Cumberland. We would order “rooster dragged thru the garden” late night gas station fair. I believe that was Rocky Top Market….

It's even worse in baseball. Remember the UT doesn't respect the game? They hated the daddy hat. They hated the fur coat. They hated the brashness of our players. Heck they changed the freakin' rules because of us. I absolutely believe there's an anti-UT bias in the college baseball community. They hate TV (but would love to have him).
Just keep winning. They're warming up to the viewership numbers.

However…

View attachment 651733
Dang allergies acting up. My papaw, who passed away last summer, would have loved this team as well. He was my first call after Tennessee beat Bama and I got to watch Tennessee beat Clemson with him in his living room. That would be his last Tennessee football game. One of the countless stories that show how much this team is intertwined in the pulse of our lives.

WE OUR TENNESSEE AND WE BLEED ORANGE.

To our boys in Omaha: You've got a whole state behind you, built on the backs of generations of volunteers. No matter the outcome, you're our team. Beat the Aggies and Go Vols!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back