Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap, lol. She meant it as a joke. I know this because she and I are friends. She never wanted you actually banned. Ask her if you don't believe me.

Have you not noticed we all give each other hell? I get riffed on all the time. I riff on Glitch and Jack all the time. It's all about the camaraderie, my friend. You're a good dude. No one seriously wants you gone.
Oh, you read women's minds and also mansplain for them!

If you had bothered to listen to what she said, without your needless and pushy "grandstanding," you would have seen that she had already spoken with me for herself. She's an autonomous adult human being that way.

She doesn't need a wannabe white knight in chaps to mansplain for her "helpless self." @Orangeredblooded speaks her mind. You may not have noticed since you're typically preoccupied with making endless vulgar jokes.

Last edited:
There used to be smokey mountain markets. They had a chicken sandwich called a rooster. It was good but their best thing was their smokey dog. Hotdog with chili and smoked cheddar cheese. Best Hotdogs I've ever had.
This!!! Loved their Smokey Dog!!! We used to go on a Mt Dog Run when I was a student at UT. I heard they recently closed? Say it ain’t so…

From a friend of mine and a VFL: (I thought you all would enjoy this as much as I did)

If you’ve ever wondered why I always wear a red rubber band, today’s a fitting day to learn the backstory.

My dad was a University of Houston alum and spent more than half his life living in Houston. He and my mom traveled to all three of Phi Slama Jama’s Final Fours, the football team once had a social event at our house, and even our tailgate van was red and white.

But when we moved to Nashville in 1989, his son – yeah, me – became a Tennessee fan. Without hesitation, my dad started wearing orange with even more passion than he had ever worn red. When Tennessee football won the national championship on Jan. 4, 1999, he ran around our living room jumping and screaming like a 7-year-old with unchecked access to the Halloween candy, while my mom held me as I equal parts sobbed and laughed.

Nothing could stop him from making my passion his passion, not even on the day he passed away. We lost my dad to a brain tumor on Oct. 5, 2002, the same day that Tennessee football beat Arkansas in six overtimes. He died 15 minutes after Jason Witten’s game-winning catch.

By then, I was fully immersed in the journalism world and covering Tennessee football. My high school fandom had hardened into cold objectivity and professionalism, but even the ethical reporter with a broken heart felt some sense of warmth that night.

After that, I decided that for all the orange my dad had worn for me that I would always wear red for him. So for 22 years, I’ve worn and worn out hundreds of red rubber bands. They’ve been with me for countless hikes, runs, camping trips, sporting events, and so many more passions that my dad and I shared.
We bonded over many things, but make no mistake: I grew up in a baseball house.

My dad was an all-star shortstop in high school, and he listened to every Astros’ game on the radio, meticulously filling out his scorebook. When we lived in Dallas, nothing made my dad laugh harder than when I would run through the batting stance of every Texas Ranger. (My Julio Franco always had him in tears.) When I played as a kid, I insisted on using my plastic giveaway Rangers’ glove instead of my nice leather Rawlings because a 19-year-old, 140-pound Sammy Sosa had signed the plastic one.

So when I tell you that my dad would have fallen head over heels in love with this Tennessee baseball team, it’s still a wild understatement.

He would have loved watching the maturation of Moore and Burke because their lack of discipline at the plate two years ago would have crawled all over him. He would have gleefully told anybody who would listen that having a bat like Kavares Tears in the 6-hole is a cheat code. He would have had to flip a coin between Zander and Kirby for his favorite player because quirky, underdog pitchers were his thing. (He even made his Rangers’ hat look like Charlie Huff’s.) He would have loved seeing Tennessee as a torchbearer bringing college baseball into the American zeitgeist because the 1994 strike distanced him and soured him on the game he loved so dearly. He would have loved how Ramsey’s game analysis has started to imitate my own. (“Dad, that was a dart from Cal Stark.” … “Dad, Drew’s stuff is so good today.” … “Dad, Christian crushed that one.”)

And he would have loved his 42-year-old son’s jubilant, childlike celebrations of Dylan Dreiling’s walkoff because they would have looked an awful lot like his own from Jan. 4, 1999.

We will not be in Omaha tonight or tomorrow. One Knoxville have a home game tonight. As a leader of the supporters group, I have made a commitment to growing soccer in this community, and I learned from my dad to follow through on my commitments.

However…

If Tennessee is playing for a national title on Monday night, Ramsey and I will be there. We will miss Jennifer who will have to work Monday, but we are not missing that game.

We’ll drive as father and son to Charles Schwab Field with my dad’s Tennessee hat, the glove he used his whole life, and three red rubber bands.
I’ll wear one. Ramsey will wear one.

And one will never leave that stadium because for all the orange that will be there, I need it to also have some red for him.

View attachment 651733
Awesome man, thanks for posting 👊

If you had bothered to listen to what she said, without your needless and pushy "grandstanding," you would have seen that she had already spoken with me for herself. She's an autonomous adult human being that way.

She doesn't need a wannabe white knight in chaps to mansplain for her "helpless self." She speaks her mind. You may not have noticed since you're typically preoccupied with making endless vulgar jokes.
Okay. Not sure if you're being serious or not, but I'm done. It's all good for me. No hurt feelings on my end, sorry if there are on your end. If I offend you, well, ignore exists for a reason. I'm sure I'm on several people's lists, though funnily, I've never put anyone on ignore.

She doesn't need a wannabe white knight in chaps to mansplain for her "helpless self." @Orangeredblooded speaks her mind. You may not have noticed since you're typically preoccupied with making endless vulgar jokes. She and I don't have a problem and we've long been friends. I guess you skipped her immediate answer to my immediate question because you assumed she is incompetent to speak for herself and needed a buffoon to represent her. She doesn't.
Weezer can irritate me at times as I do others as well. You are really pushing this a little too far and it's seems a little weird. This is a great night for UT and Vol fans. Can you please just drop it?

Vol fans showed out. A&M fans did too. It’s gonna be an incredible atmosphere in Omaha tonight.

It is. Aggies have a huge fanbase. Tons of them here. Wouldn’t be surprised if crowd is 60-40 Aggies tonight. But they are nervous - they know their injuries and how good Tennessee is, from my conversations.

Can’t wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back