Recruiting Football Talk VII

History buff here, the last time I was out of the country was January 2020 flew to Puerto Rico. Covid 🤷🏼‍♂️ who knew.
Anyway, it was a mission trip and we were in a medium size town and at night I would walk the streets in the old part of town. Looking at buildings that were still being lived in that had been built before there was a United States.
Same thing in 2009 in Belize, the Mayan ruins were unbelievable.
I‘m after the wife to head out west to see our history. If successful I’ll be asking for tips.
Oh wow..you will love the places Mesa Verde, Bandelier and Chaco...and all the ancient petroglyph and pictographs art sites that are all over the SW.

We did Altun Ha in Belize...you better Belize it was freaking awesome. I want to see Chichen Itza and Tikal someday.

View attachment 656228

Seriously. This is great advice. That’s what I’ve seen from looking around on maps. Just so many random arches, formations, etc. within an hour or two of Kanab. If I can see a few natural arches, I won’t be sad to not make it to Arches NP.
I saved a snippet of his post to my laptop.

Reactions: Brillovol
People been sayin' for years that there's a John Prine song for every feeling, idea, or event.
AI-created illustrations make me nervously wonder if the Navaho will be proved prescient...

"A Mocca man
in a wigwam
sitting on a Reservation.
With a big black hole in the belly of his soul
Waiting on an explanation.
While the white man
sits on his fat can
And takes pictures of the Navajo,
Every time he clicks his Kodak pics
He steals a little bit of soul."

I hate those overwrought garbage lyrics

View attachment 656228

Seriously. This is great advice. That’s what I’ve seen from looking around on maps. Just so many random arches, formations, etc. within an hour or two of Kanab. If I can see a few natural arches, I won’t be sad to not make it to Arches NP.
If you ever do make it to arches, be sure to attend the class on how to navigate the trails. What an infuriating experience otherwise...

For sure hit Valley of Fire State Park on the way to Zion, and you should take the time to drive Utah Hwy 12 through Grand staircase-Escalante National Monument from Bryce to Capitol Reef...if you do...you're welcome...many people say it the most beautiful drive in the country...I don't know if it is THE most, but it is for sure top 3 for me.

Make sure and check with ZNP to make sure you don't need a entry reservation for your dates....and the sites at all the places you are going are all pretty familiar to everybody...you just have to decide what your group can do as far as hiking and such...like how much time you can allow.

There are tons of great itinerary vids for all those places on YouTube that could help you narrow down.

What is going to suck is finding out about the millions of awesome things to do and see that are not in the National Parks that will be all around you in Kanab and not having time to do them...lol.

Seriously...you could spend months exploring that area and not scratch the surface.

Research Valley of Fire State Park and have a itinerary ready for your visit..do "The Fire Wave" hike for sure. It is as spectacular as a National Park.
"Going-to-the-Sun-Road" in Glacier National Park is an amazing drive as well...........

1720121233611.png

Damn you are money, bro.
That's some awesome information.

Very interesting to see Brentwood Academy grabbed two guys from Maryland. Along with all these other kats! I would love to see that continue along with grabbing guys from around the state like Dodson and Baylor this year.

Now I'm going to have look at all their HUDLs 😂😂😂😂

Thanks again AllVol
The two kids from Maryland, their dad is the new WR coach there

But not a communist. If anything, Tchaikovsky would have been a Tsarist.

Maybe @Glitch thought it was about the War of 1812 when it is in fact about the Russians successfully fending off an invasion by Napoleon.
I like Tchaikovsky and we've even seen one of his ballets performed in St. Petersburg. I was just messing with @Glitch and @Lloyd_Christmas. I have heard the 1812 -- with its triumphant cannons firing in the conclusion -- in an American patriotic setting before. I don't remember which.

The 1812 Overture is interesting. It is a patriotic piece celebrating the defense of Moscow and the defeat of the foreign invader. At the same time, he takes many elements of native Russian music and incorporates them into in the Western European art and style of music. This was at a time in which there was a debate in Russia between those who rejected European culture as un-Russian and those who wanted to see Russia as a part of Europe. Which is to say to embrace the European Enlightenment. Tchaikovsky seems to say "No" to the anti-Enlightenment stance and also to their opponents who were all-out European "assimilationists." He makes a composition that is both Russian and European.

Many people don't realize what a traumatic event it was for Russia to see the home of Enlightenment (as France was considered) -- the pole star of the optimistic new generation of Russians -- come to sight suddenly as an unprovoked invading imperialist conquerer.

War and Peace in some ways is about this too. The English translations typically fail to make the distinction within their English that the leading families are frequently speaking French to each other: the cosmopolitan language of the time. (Tolstoy's original expresses these conversations in French (not Russian). They were proud Francophiles confronting France against their will.

Last edited:
I have a Shibumi shade device for the beach. It requires catching the wind for optimal performance. I have a large telescopic flag pole I use to fly flags with my Shibumi….American Flag / Tn State Flag / UT flag / UT Mustard Flag / July Rogers / It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere are just some of the flags I fly for the grandkids.

On two occasions I have had people people ask me “what is the red/white/blue flag with three stars”? In both instances I told my wife we would questions from these two people. They act like I am flying some terrorist flag. :D

🇺🇸

History buff here, the last time I was out of the country was January 2020 flew to Puerto Rico. Covid 🤷🏼‍♂️ who knew.
Anyway, it was a mission trip and we were in a medium size town and at night I would walk the streets in the old part of town. Looking at buildings that were still being lived in that had been built before there was a United States.
Same thing in 2009 in Belize, the Mayan ruins were unbelievable.
I‘m after the wife to head out west to see our history. If successful I’ll be asking for tips.
Puerto Rico isn’t “out of the country”. That is America.

VN Store

Back