Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
July 5, 1954 - Elvis Presley's first recording
Sun Studio in Memphis, TN

Sam Phillips asked two trusted session musicians—guitarist Scotty Moore and bassist Bill Black—to provide backup, and at 7 p.m., after a few minutes of small talk and nervous laughter, Phillips arranged the trio in a circle. Then he asked a young Elvis Presley what he wanted to play. There was more nervous laughter; Elvis knew only a few songs, and most of those he couldn't play from start to finish. Somehow, the group fumbled through the mawkish 'Harbor Lights,' which had been a 1950 hit for Bing Crosby. From the control room, Phillips drawled, 'That's pretty good,' although it wasn't. Elvis sounded boring, mechanical. Phillips called for a break.

With the formalities suspended, Elvis picked up a guitar and started goofing around, playing an old blues song by Arthur (Big Boy) Crudup called 'That's All Right'. Except Elvis wasn't singing the blues. He sounded almost euphoric, and the rhythm was all wrong—far too frenetic. There were no drums, so Black was slapping his bass to keep time while Moore's guitar leaped in and out of the melody line. Phillips knew immediately. He stuck his head out of the control room and told the threesome to pick a place to start and keep playing. Two nights later, 'That's All Right' was played on Memphis radio, and the era of rock 'n' roll roared into being.
1720196097395.png

Long Live THE KING

So did any of the European military schools take lessons from our Civil War? Or was trench warfare the lesson learned?

I don't remember ever reading that any European countries sent observers to the States during the Civil War. Is that true? I guess the powers in Europe were mostly busy fighting colonial uprisings.
No...they all sent observers to the Civil War.. They also all had the brutal Russo-Japanese war as an even more recent example replete with modern artillery and machine guns.

NONE of them "planned" on a static defensive trench war, it just happened...the trenches grew organically as a result of the pure slaughter and the desire of the Germans to hold every inch of ground they could of what they had taken up until the Battle of the Marne.

You really should listen to Dan Carlins "Blueprint for Armageddon" long form podcast...and there are a ton of great books like "The Guns of August" by Barbara Tuchman and "The First World War" by John Keegan.

If you take in those resources you will get a great understanding of the forces that created the war and what caused it to be so brutal.

Not a big Dave Hooker fan. But, this is a pretty good listen.

Not clicking it. Sorry, but he is a jerk, a kneebiter, a tool and an idiot.
Ok, I bit and watched it. Purely clickbait imo. Everything Dave said was shot down by Hyams, and I believe Hyams is better connected than Dave. And the guy in the middle was just pulling stuff out of his a$$
Now that I know that Hyams was on there, too, all the more reason not to watch it.

So did any of the European military schools take lessons from our Civil War? Or was trench warfare the lesson learned?

I don't remember ever reading that any European countries sent observers to the States during the Civil War. Is that true? I guess the powers in Europe were mostly busy fighting colonial uprisings.

My semi educated take is that The Civil War did not feature overwhelming artillery and mass-produced automatic weapons. Those two technological advances made trench warfare an almost unwinnable slog because attacking a trench with infantry was rarely successful and there wasn't really any alternative.

Now we should see some objective research results on its effects on performance--in every aspect.

I wonder what understanding Jerome Learman, our Director of Applied Performance Science, and his four Assistant Directors have on its effects. Bet they're combing the research database now!

Caleb says OU isn’t happy with Venables (OU just gave Venables a big money contract extension like a week and half ago). He also compares it to Dooley at UT even tho BV just won 10 games.

Are these guys drunk?
Is that the morOn Caleb Calhoun? That guy is the worst of Knoxville sports media. Just constant Checkerboard level takes. . . maybe worse.

Is that the morOn Caleb Calhoun? That guy is the worst of Knoxville sports media. Just constant Checkerboard level takes. . . maybe worse.
I dont know how he and Hooker get a single view. It's incredible. Caleb Calhoun can't even comb his hair.

Do they actually make money somehow?

July 5, 1954 - Elvis Presley's first recording
Sun Studio in Memphis, TN

Sam Phillips asked two trusted session musicians—guitarist Scotty Moore and bassist Bill Black—to provide backup, and at 7 p.m., after a few minutes of small talk and nervous laughter, Phillips arranged the trio in a circle. Then he asked a young Elvis Presley what he wanted to play. There was more nervous laughter; Elvis knew only a few songs, and most of those he couldn't play from start to finish. Somehow, the group fumbled through the mawkish 'Harbor Lights,' which had been a 1950 hit for Bing Crosby. From the control room, Phillips drawled, 'That's pretty good,' although it wasn't. Elvis sounded boring, mechanical. Phillips called for a break.

With the formalities suspended, Elvis picked up a guitar and started goofing around, playing an old blues song by Arthur (Big Boy) Crudup called 'That's All Right'. Except Elvis wasn't singing the blues. He sounded almost euphoric, and the rhythm was all wrong—far too frenetic. There were no drums, so Black was slapping his bass to keep time while Moore's guitar leaped in and out of the melody line. Phillips knew immediately. He stuck his head out of the control room and told the threesome to pick a place to start and keep playing. Two nights later, 'That's All Right' was played on Memphis radio, and the era of rock 'n' roll roared into being.
View attachment 656604

Long Live THE KING

Dang, y'all I'm making me miss my grandparents with all this karo syrup talk. I don't even know where to find that now but I've raised my kids on peanut butter and honey sandwiches and my wife likes to add nasty ass fluff to make it a fluffernutter with honey.
Make your kids a grilled cheese. . . except cook the bread with mayonnaise instead of butter. . .

It's about that much where I'm at, which is a solid 40 miles north of Atlanta.

That's nuts! Here in JAX you can rent a nice 3-4 bedroom house for around $2000 a month in the safe suburbs, closer to $2500 near JAX Beach. St. Augustine and the parts of St Johns County that are almost in Jacksonville are more expensive, though.

My mortgage is under $1000 a month before the escrow stuff like homeowners insurance, PMI(FHA loan) and property taxes. I live in the most populated suburb of Jacksonville which is just outside of Duval County and I got a very reasonable price on my house which is in an established, nice neighborhood with no HOA (no HOA is rare in any nice neighborhood in FL). Little to no crime in this area, very good public schools within less than a mile and within 5-10 miles we have two malls and every store, chain or fast food restaurant and lots of very good mom and pop restaurants. Nearly every major cultures food is represented and there are several fish camps with great seafood.

Our house was built in late 90's is about 2000 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 1.5 car garage, big fenced in back yard, screened porch and can do whatever I want regarding sheds, installing a pool, etc. with little to no permit hassle. All my neighbors keep up their properties so the HOA isn't needed. The value did jump around $100,000 within 6 to 8 months of me buying the house in 2021 and has not come down much so property taxes went up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back