Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to Yellow Deli for me today, pls. Best place in Chatt.
What kinda cult they got?

Thinking of making changes to my life after watching that James Gandolfini thing that was posted.

> The group supports itself through the operation of several businesses, most of which revolve around agriculture, as well as cafés and restaurants, all using unpaid and often child labor.

Well, that is unfortunate lol
Wow. That brought back a lot of memories, and familiar names in the Wikipedia article. Had a lot of friends in and around the Yellow Deli and its commune, in Chattanooga and Dayton.

The Wikipedia article seemed pretty fair and accurate to me. Interesting thing about the First Presbyterian incident was that while many affluent members (locally referred to as "the Lookout Mountain crowd") were upset, the church's leadership, including Pastor Ben Haden, recognized and affirmed that this was what followers of Christ should be doing. Young believers like myself (who became Christians through our acquaintances with "Jesus Freaks") were quite impressed!

Like any group of Christians, you had some beautiful and wonderful things, and like any group that establishes an inner hierarchy and begins to codify their beliefs, some things that definitely missed the mark of being Christ-like.

The child labor charges were bogus, secular attempts to "lawfare" people into conformity. If you grew up on a farm, in any era, you recognize that each member of the family's contribution is needed, and this is a very positive way for children to grow in responsibility and purpose. Put that family model in a craft producing manufacturing enterprise, and your children are doing the same things--contributing as they are able and trustworthy.

As for the child abuse charges, I can't say. I wouldn't trust the authorities' judgement (their record is very poor), but neither would I trust any leader saying there's one method for child rearing. Each parent knows their own child's personality and needs, and each will stand before God for how they parented. Mr. Cult Leader won't be standing beside them, telling God, "Well, Sir, that was my idea." I've watched how successful parents talk to each other, about how their different children needed and responded to different measures. Parenting is an art, and each "painting" is unique.

Working in the Yellow Deli's was also part of the discipleship therapy for kids who had come to Christ off the street or from heavy drug use. I had several friends who were among those, and they credited that work--being busy while engaged with customers in a healthy, servant-oriented relationship--with getting them off of drugs and rebuilding their self-respect and courage.

What most struck me most about looking back is that today, I'm once again surrounded by people who are moving into agrarian lifestyles with an intentionally communal aspect, and doing so as believers foremost.

But many of these parents are platinum collar leaders in the community, whose oldest kids have gone to top academic universities in the nation. They want to get their families off the grid, and into healthy activities and a relationship with the land and with animals.

An interesting contrast/parallel to the countercultural, political, and intellectual suburban vagabonds many of us were back in that day!

Okay VN RF:

What say ye?

I have a connection to potential good seats for the Oklahoma game. I have been planning to go to the game ever since it was scheduled. My wife has known about my plans.

My mother in laws 85th birthday is the following Tuesday. Now they are planning a party on September 21.

Should I be the dutiful husband and go to the birthday party or be the selfish guy and go to the Oklahoma game?

My MIL is in pretty good shape and medical condition. I am pretty positive that she will make it to 90. That’s a much more important birthday correct?

I am kinda kidding around. I will tape the game and go to her birthday party. 🥳

Frick!
You are a better man than I. That’s all I’ll say

Above the wall = 4 base hit

Her calling of the game was reminiscent of someone trying to explain the rules of a new board game the first time they play it.
Ok. Ok. So when the batter hits the ball beyond the wall between those two yellow poles, rendering it uncatchable by the defense, it is a four base hit? The batter can then freely run around the infield touching each base until he reaches the home plate? He just runs all the way around to home with nobody trying to stop him?
back-to-the-future-taking-notes.gif

Ok. Ok. So when the batter hits the ball beyond the wall between those two yellow poles, rendering it uncatchable by the defense, it is a four base hit? The batter can then freely run around the infield touching each base until he reaches the home plate? He just runs all the way around to home with nobody trying to stop him?
View attachment 661273
yes! runner rounds middle pad, to left pad.

Next batsman bunts runman to final plate.

Oakland gets a point.

yes! runner rounds middle pad, to left pad.

Next batsman bunts runman to final plate.

Oakland gets a point.
What is this "bunt"? Does the ball go into a goal to get this point? What happens if the running player returns to the right pad instead of moving to the final plate area?

What is this "bunt"? Does the ball go into a goal to get this point? What happens if the running player returns to the right pad instead of moving to the final plate area?
Bunt is when batsman pushes the stick out halfway. No no there's no goal. That's kick ball. Final point is given by mask guy.

Running player gets an out if he goes to right pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back