Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Grading on a curve? Offense wasn't playing on air, defense has some influence on the outcome. The outcome was that we won by 41 against a spread of 9. Objectively dominant. Could they have played even better? Probably, but I hardly think that justifies giving them a lower grade.
No curve here. They came with a game plan to limit the deep passes. We tried it anyway and didn’t adjust for a few drives.

Additionally, 2 interceptions is the glaring point for me. I just can’t give that high of a grade with 2 picks. The first one especially was a forced throw into triple coverage. Just not a smart play when the dump pass was there.

The defense is the unit that set the tone. Scored 7, gave the offense short fields and plenty of possessions. The defense was elite. The offense was just above average.

"Vexed" and admitting that things could be better are two different things. Again... That 'C' grade was one of optimism. "They definitely have some things to clean up, but still dominated a top 25 team. Dang!"

I'd say "on a curve" may not have been the best description. It's actually the opposite of what the VolQuest guys and Nico and Sampson... And the coaches... are doing. "On a curve" is a relative judgment that says exactly what you are. "There were some things we can do better, but we'll give it an 'A' for final score."

I guarantee you the coaches aren't doing that. They are happy for the win and celebrating how fun it was. But they are also breaking down film, pointing out mistakes, and telling them how to fix them. Nico said to the media that it was a slow start with a lot to fix. Sampson said in an interview that it was a slow start with lots to fix. Everyone involved seems to be saying the same thing, except the folks on VN that take issue with admitting that it was fun and overwhelming, but not up to the standard of what this offense can and will be as long as they don't rest on their laurels.

You can listen to Dylan share that mindset here. Start at about 5:10 where she calls the Offensive start a 'bit shaky' and Dylan describes a few things they need to clean up.

Nico basically said that they didn't hit their stride until the second half (and the score reflected that). A sluggish half a game is quite a bit to be asking for an A+ out there.

Did you notice he said the play call was "basically made by Hazle"?

Reactions: Glitch
People are obsessing because that freshman is a freak. I agree with the assessments. I am not worried about sacks because we've literally altered teams play to account for our pressure. USC had the advantage of catching teams off gaurd.

Yeah, now that some tape is out teams will start scheming up to prevent them from having such an impact. They're also about to have a huge step up in competition.

SIAP. If Heupel was any good he would be at OU obviously.

Copium Cat GIF - Copium Cat - Discover & Share GIFs

VN Store

Back