Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Grading on a curve? Offense wasn't playing on air, defense has some influence on the outcome. The outcome was that we won by 41 against a spread of 9. Objectively dominant. Could they have played even better? Probably, but I hardly think that justifies giving them a lower grade.
I'm not sure that I understand that logic. That's EXACTLY why you give a lower grade. That's the whole principle of giving grades--that lesser performances get lower grades.

School: 0-100. 100 is perfection and 0 is that you missed every answer. If you missed some questions (i.e. could have done better), that's why you get a lower grade.

Those giving a C grade most likely have a scale between a perfect game and all-3-and-outs. And what we saw was far from a perfect game. There was a lot to clean up. Nico said it in his presser. Samson said it in an interview I watched this morning. It doesn't mean they're hot garbage. It means they are REALLY good even when they aren't as good as they could be.

It's a compliment. These boys are REALLY good to be that dominant against a top 25 team, noting that they still have things they can clean up.

I'm not sure that I understand that logic. That's EXACTLY why you give a lower grade. That's the whole principle of giving grades--that lesser performances get lower grades.

School: 0-100. 100 is perfection and 0 is that you missed every answer. If you missed some questions (i.e. could have done better), that's why you get a lower grade.

Those giving a C grade most likely have a scale between a perfect game and all-3-and-outs. And what we saw was far from a perfect game. There was a lot to clean up. Nico said it in his presser. Samson said it in an interview I watched this morning. It doesn't mean they're hot garbage. It means they are REALLY good even when they aren't as good as they could be.

It's a compliment. These boys are REALLY good to be that dominant against a top 25 team, noting that they still have things they can clean up.
Because there are absolute standards and relative standards...hence the grading on a curve comment. The absolute result of their effort (beating the spread by 31 points) was an A. As long as they are vexed by the number of points they left on the field, there is zero reason for me to be.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Because there are absolute standards and relative standards...hence the grading on a curve comment. The absolute result of their effort (beating the spread by 31 points) was an A. As long as they are vexed by the number of points they left on the field, there is zero reason for me to be.
"Vexed" and admitting that things could be better are two different things. Again... That 'C' grade was one of optimism. "They definitely have some things to clean up, but still dominated a top 25 team. Dang!"

I'd say "on a curve" may not have been the best description. It's actually the opposite of what the VolQuest guys and Nico and Sampson... And the coaches... are doing. "On a curve" is a relative judgment that says exactly what you are. "There were some things we can do better, but we'll give it an 'A' for final score."

I guarantee you the coaches aren't doing that. They are happy for the win and celebrating how fun it was. But they are also breaking down film, pointing out mistakes, and telling them how to fix them. Nico said to the media that it was a slow start with a lot to fix. Sampson said in an interview that it was a slow start with lots to fix. Everyone involved seems to be saying the same thing, except the folks on VN that take issue with admitting that it was fun and overwhelming, but not up to the standard of what this offense can and will be as long as they don't rest on their laurels.

You can listen to Dylan share that mindset here. Start at about 5:10 where she calls the Offensive start a 'bit shaky' and Dylan describes a few things they need to clean up.

Nico basically said that they didn't hit their stride until the second half (and the score reflected that). A sluggish half a game is quite a bit to be asking for an A+ out there.

Last edited:
@nicksjuzunk needs to get on this game thread! @Glitch is gonna usurp the laws of the universe and curse us forever!
My game threads are amazing to behold. You are just jealous because you have zero chance of ever being a Mod and you just want to crap on my parade too! I was going to make you all a wonderful and joyful game thread...

a man with a mustache is saying but now i am too hurt .

Last edited:
"Vexed" and admitting that things could be better are two different things. Again... That 'C' grade was one of optimism. "They definitely have some things to clean up, but still dominated a top 25 team. Dang!"

I'd say "on a curve" may not have been the best description. It's actually the opposite of what the VolQuest guys and Nico and Sampson... And the coaches... are doing. "On a curve" is a relative judgment that says exactly what you are. "There were some things we can do better, but we'll give it an 'A' for final score."

I guarantee you the coaches aren't doing that. They are happy for the win and celebrating how fun it was. But they are also breaking down film, pointing out mistakes, and telling them how to fix them. Nico said to the media that it was a slow start with a lot to fix. Sampson said in an interview that it was a slow start with lots to fix. Everyone involved seems to be saying the same thing, except the folks on VN that take issue with admitting that it was fun and overwhelming, but not up to the standard of what this offense can and will be as long as they don't rest on their laurels.

You can listen to Dylan share that mindset here. Start at about 5:10 where she calls the Offensive start a 'bit shaky' and Dylan describes a few things they need to clean up.

You did great! I award you a C.

Super motivating.

Carry on. I no longer care.

I remember quite a bit but it's obviously been a while. I definitely remember Vonn Bell's recruitment. I thought Dooley prioritized him heavy? I think the weirdo at the hoops game that was shouting to him and telling him "we need you!" might have turned him off.
From Chattanooga Times

But once his high school star took off during his junior season at Ridgeland, UT was one of the few teams that didn't seem to take notice. Georgia was the first program to offer Bell a scholarship, and Alabama followed. Days later, Tennessee coach Derek Dooley called Ridgeland coach Mark Mariakis to extend an official offer to Bell. The Vols already had begun to lag behind, and once other college coaches began recruiting Bell, he quickly noticed the difference between the programs that made him feel wanted and UT, which he said rarely made any contact after the offer.

"To be perfectly honest, if UT had made the kind of push for Vonn that it did once Butch Jones took over, we wouldn't have had to have a big announcement for TV," Ridgeland coach Mark Mariakis said. "He would've already been committed and [Wednesday] would've just been the day he signed the papers."

The people "liked" that you showed good judgement to post it in this thread as a sort of trial run. You should consider a Go-Live date to take your post and re-post it in thread form.
Thank you, Orange. I will consider that option.

His issue is with the VolQuest guys who gave the offense a C (or C-?). They were explicit that they were judging against this offense at its best, and even blatantly stated that it is a compliment, in that if that performance was a C-, imagine how good they are! In several videos since, they've gone even further to clarify and compliment.

Yet here we are...
Dumb, clickbaiting, attention-seeking by VolQuest.

Their vague imaginings of some future event are not a benchmark.

I give VQ an F- based on actual takes on the game as comps.

Based on their own standard, I imagine (as they wish) that they could one day have a perfect write/up. By their own proud standard, I fail them out of school and permanently expel them. But I'm not as harsh as they are.

Last edited:
Just feel like out of our last 4 HCs he's the least unlikeable by a very wide margin. I don't love the guy but he's not quite Satan like the other 3.
Heard from several throughout the years, that he was one of the most arrogant pricks you could ever possibly meet.

VN Store

Back