Recruiting Football Talk VIII

From Chattanooga Times

But once his high school star took off during his junior season at Ridgeland, UT was one of the few teams that didn't seem to take notice. Georgia was the first program to offer Bell a scholarship, and Alabama followed. Days later, Tennessee coach Derek Dooley called Ridgeland coach Mark Mariakis to extend an official offer to Bell. The Vols already had begun to lag behind, and once other college coaches began recruiting Bell, he quickly noticed the difference between the programs that made him feel wanted and UT, which he said rarely made any contact after the offer.

"To be perfectly honest, if UT had made the kind of push for Vonn that it did once Butch Jones took over, we wouldn't have had to have a big announcement for TV," Ridgeland coach Mark Mariakis said. "He would've already been committed and [Wednesday] would've just been the day he signed the papers."
I saw Eric McClain on the ACC network recently and was vaguely recalling a story about him, as a huge UT fan, showing up for a visit and nobody on Dooley’s staff knew who he was or why he was there. Ended up at Clemson. 🙄

Since I’m the one that gave the offense a C+, I’ll bite. I gave it that grade because of the slower start (13 points at half), penalties, not as sharp on the deep passes, and we threw 2 picks, one being a pick 6.

In reality, we could have had 2-3 more scores by the offense in the first half. It wasn’t mediocre (I never said that), but it was slightly better than average for a Heupel offense.

And you know it’s a compliment to say we put up a 50 burger and it wasn’t the best, right?
Their defensive play and plan had more to do with the slow start and spotty deep game.. they were dropping everybody back to stop that

Once we went to the 2 TE set we dog walked them.

Most everybody has just overlooked something, or just did not realize it. Doeren and Gibson usually play a ton of single high and cover zero and are really aggressive. ..the percentage that they run that normally actually blew my mind when I heard the number in a pregame NCST breakdown I watched before the game.

But they completely flushed that approach in our game...they were playing a deep cover 2 most of the game and refused to come out of it...one of the game breakdowns I saw showed them dropping 3 deep several times.

I think they caught Heup and Halzle and Nico a little off guard with that approach...I think they were licking their lips thinking they were gonna eat NCSTs normal defense up...but Doeren refused to do that....so we ran 2 TEs out there and bulldozed them.

Like I said...he chose Death by a Thousand Cuts over The Guillotine.

Last edited:
Since I’m the one that gave the offense a C+, I’ll bite. I gave it that grade because of the slower start (13 points at half), penalties, not as sharp on the deep passes, and we threw 2 picks, one being a pick 6.

In reality, we could have had 2-3 more scores by the offense in the first half. It wasn’t mediocre (I never said that), but it was slightly better than average for a Heupel offense.

And you know it’s a compliment to say we put up a 50 burger and it wasn’t the best, right?
And you were not who I was talking about..it was the podcast guys.

Reactions: Brillovol
His issue is with the VolQuest guys who gave the offense a C (or C-?). They were explicit that they were judging against this offense at its best, and even blatantly stated that it is a compliment, in that if that performance was a C-, imagine how good they are! In several videos since, they've gone even further to clarify and compliment.

Yet here we are...
I still think it is BS to do that.

Grading on a curve? Offense wasn't playing on air, defense has some influence on the outcome. The outcome was that we won by 41 against a spread of 9. Objectively dominant. Could they have played even better? Probably, but I hardly think that justifies giving them a lower grade.
Exactly

Their defensive play and plan had more to do with the slow start and spotty deep game.. they were dropping everybody back to stop that

Once we went to the 2 TE set we dog walked them.

Most everybody has just overlooked something, or just did not realize it. Doeren and Gibson usually play a ton of single high and cover zero and are really aggressive. ..the percentage that they run that normally actually blew my mind when I heard the numger in a pregame NCST breakdown I watched before the game.

But they completely flushed that approach in our game...they were playing a deep cover 2 most of the game and refused to come out of it...one of the game breakdowns I saw showed them dropping 3 deep several times.

I think they caught Heup and Halzle and Nico a little off guard with that approach...I think they were licking their lips thinking they were gonna eat NCSTs normal defense up...but Doeren refused to do that....so we ran 2 TEs out there and bulldozed them.

Like I said...he chose Death by a Thousand Cuts over The Guillotine.
The Aaron Murray breakdown was my fave. He’s a leg humper, but he seems to really like Nico. It was amazing to see the number of times they dropped 8 and rushed 3.

Honestly, I don’t blame them. If their offense didn’t run into a brick wall, it might’ve worked. By the time we adjusted, it was too late for them. The wheels fell off their little red wagon and we took full advantage.

But my gosh, that was one of the most satisfying defensive efforts I’ve seen in a long time.

VN Store

Back