Recruiting Football Talk VIII

He just arrived! He’s a 2024 draft pick. What do you mean “no shot at the big leagues”? Now? Yeah, but I doubt his career aspirations a few short months ago excelling on that salty Coastal Carolina team was to bank $290 k and set himself up selling Amway. I know that if I was a venture capitalist, and this (now) notorious clown pitched me a business opportunity, I’m not even taking the meeting. What if it’s a really long work week? I could just burn down the food truck and go home early! 🤔
You go have fun getting 12 ABs and scraping bye in the minors. I’ll take my contract and invest it elsewhere while starting an actual career before wasting 3+ years of my life

And we called it the money wall on campus.
i was in Knoxville in June and was walking by where the old UC, book store and money wall used to be and just couldn't believe how hard it was to remember it all...i love the changes they've made on campus. but if you'd of told me in 1995 that all that would be gone in the next 20-25 years i'd of told you you're nuts lol.

I had a '74 Duster that was real fast and used a lot of gas and all mopar as a youngun. I am restoring a '66 Bonneville now so I'm all across the board now.
Of all the new vehicles ive driven, Dodge Hemi has to be the loudest, and most attention getting engine. Again this is for work, I'm not out burnin' tarrs.

Nicest vehicle ive driven are GMC Sierra, Nissan Frontier, Tahoe, and Ford F150 Tremor.

Biggest hunks of crap - Ford edge, BMW sedan, any Hyundai, Kia, Dodge SUV, and any Jeep SUV

Overrated - Jeep Waggoneer, Dodge Challenger

Best overall - '24 Toyota Tacoma

Drove a Tundy, that was super posh. But V6 with Turbo Charged Engine was noisy. When entering or merging into traffic, that 1-2 second delay was hard to get used too.

Also, short beds. What's the point?

Over Al Davis 😳👀
Uh…yes! Al was famous for “Just win, baby!” and the Raiders mystique/outlaw culture, but monetizing and marketing their brand with sponsorships? That was Jerry Jones. He was the pioneer in what is now the NFL business model. Davis can be credited with taking a HC gig all the way to snaking a NFL team away from owners with basically zero net personal wealth at the time.

Uh…yes! Al was famous for “Just win, baby!” and the Raiders mystique/outlaw culture, but monetizing and marketing their brand with sponsorships? That was Jerry Jones. He was the pioneer in what is now the NFL business model. Davis can be credited with taking a HC gig all the way to snaking a NFL team away from owners with basically zero net personal wealth at the time.
Correct. Individuals can complain about how Jerry runs the team but as a business man, Jerry is top notch.

Over 10 billion reasons to make this statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: butchna
This is great. I’m sure I’ve read your story on here before, but it’s good to read it again.

I especially like this line:
Yeah...I was thinking of that line from John Denver in Rocky Mountain High...

"He was born in the summer of his 27th year...Coming home to a place he had never been before"

So he’s a wise guy ah…it’s ok butcho..no problemo…we’re gonna take em down by the pieaaa..the scenery is really nice heaaa in upstate New Yooork especially for the long walks off the short piiieas ya see!..know what I mean doc.he can sleep wit da fishies…give the Don my respects

1726234455776.gif

So he’s a wise guy ah…it’s ok butcho..no problemo…we’re gonna take em down by the pieaaa..the scenery is really nice heaaa in upstate New Yooork especially for the long walks off the short piiieas ya see!..know what I mean doc.he can sleep wit da fishies…give the Don my respects

View attachment 676246
@butchna is correct. Al Davis actions was just a pissing contest with NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle.

Did they die of dysentery?
If not, then maybe..tuberculosis..or typhoid..or measles..or smallpox..or about a million critters and Indians wanting eat or scalp you..or bad weather/exposure..or getting eaten by the healthier members of your traveling party when stuck on a high pass in the Sierras..or falling down cliffs...or getting runover by wagons or stampeding livestock..or drowning...or getting caught in a plains grassfire...

Those folks had guts....we don't anymore.

View attachment 676246
Al was middle class Brooklyn Jew. Talked a big game and turned no football background into OL coach for USC, WR coach for the Chargers, HC, GM and then majority owner of the Raiders and even AFL Commissioner. Nobody else conned so many out of so much.

VN Store

Back