Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Guarantee you the Japanese care about where he is from...they love their country no matter what.

So we saw in WW2, as ravenous as the Nazi supporters. Not a badge of honor to be loyal to anyone or anything blindly and "no matter what". Folks need to think for themselves more than that.

People are willing to slack at a part time job as it’s not as valuable as someone’s “full time job” just by simple logic. They 100% don’t punish officials right now regardless of what they claim.

Officials should have to answer questions in a post game environment first of all, that would be a good first step in accountability.
I seriously doubt slacking is the issue. The good ole boy system is the problem. The criteria for being an official doesn't have much to do with how good you are. There are some really really amazing high school and D2 officials who are much better at officiating than a lot of P4 officials who are flat out told "don't bother applying" because they're too tall or they don't have any connections or they're older than 50 years old etc...

It's your appearance and who you know. It's not a meritocracy. They bring in the good ole boys and/or people who fit the physical appearance they're looking for, and as long as they're not so bad that the national media goes after them, they don't care how good they are at officiating.

You see crews who make disastrous decisions trot right back out the next week unless it's so bad that ESPN anchors are calling them out.

So making it a full time job wouldn't help, in my opinion. The problem is at the top and the lack of concern that conference leaders have in making sure the officiating is as good as possible. If they had try outs and hired based solely on merit (they don't), things would be much better.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Completely agree with everything you said McGill. Ohio St. was eating them alive in that playoff game but blew it.
The thing that does bother them (OSU, LSU, is an elite QB, offensive scheme, MATCHED WITH elite talent across the board). NFL level WRs, TEs, RBs, and OL. We are getting much closer to that OSU and INSANE LSU offensive talent across the board in those respects.

Folks have to remember 2022 was literally Hype's 2nd season and the roster was gutted in many ways. This and next year will be a better gauge.

View attachment 678949
I guess this means the large bets are coming in on OK? Line still hovering around -7.
Yes. Usually not a good sign.

I don't think it matters on this game as far as the Vols win goes. I think a lot of people believe OU will have a big advantage at home and cover the spread. I'd like to see the MoneyLine bets.

I seriously doubt slacking is the issue. The good ole boy system is the problem. The criteria for being an official doesn't have much to do with how good you are. There are some really really amazing high school and D2 officials who are much better at officiating than a lot of P4 officials who are flat out told "don't bother applying" because they're too tall or they don't have any connections or they're older than 50 years old etc...

It's your appearance and who you know. It's not a meritocracy. They bring in the good ole boys and/or people who fit the physical appearance they're looking for, and as long as they're not so bad that the national media goes after them, they don't care how good they are at officiating.

You see crews who make disastrous decisions trot right back out the next week unless it's so bad that ESPN anchors are calling them out.

So making it a full time job wouldn't help, in my opinion. The problem is at the top and the lack of concern that conference leaders have in making sure the officiating is as good as possible. If they had try outs and hired based solely on merit (they don't), things would be much better.

I don’t mean simply make the current refs “full time” and it’ll solve the issue. You make a lot of points, about the good ol boy system and you’re correct. This needs to be redone from the ground up. It’s not a simple “make it full time” and it’s fixed. To be blunt the current heads of officiating need to be axed and we need a fresh start with new mandatory accountability clauses in their contracts. It’s not as simple as “everyone slacks”. I agree. A lot of it is “who you know”, ego, not clear direction (like every conference calling certain penalties differently) etc. that’s a lot of glaring issues.

Reactions: jave36
Japan is somewhere I’d like to move when this all falls apart. Still very nationalistic and traditional. Their main problem is not having kids, but that’s the case for the entire developed world.
Yup it'll be a very interesting culture down the road. They may also be one of the first to "fall apart" with a sky high national debt ratio, low consumer spending levels, and an aging population with no one to support them (while rejecting immigration to offset).

They've embraced robotics like few. With their absurd population imbalance, they will be the world's guinea pig for robots being a big part of daily life. They'll be everywhere, out of necessity.

VN Store

Back