Recruiting Football Talk VIII

The stats of intentional walks vs the rest of the league in his era is insane

I feel like there was a game where they had the bases juiced and walked him in just so it would only be 1 run instead of 3 or 4 (could be just a dream tho)
I dont think it was a dream. I seem to recall that exact scenario.

Reactions: mrMet
I was never a PGA Tour player..........but I was pretty good. Played mini-tours in South Florida for 4 years and did good (top 5 money leader) and qualified for partial membership on the South American Tour (I passed it up. What a dumba$$)

That being said..........I've been asked if I had the connections to "juice up" and use the same stuff that Balco was dishing out, would I have used it?

In all honesty...........I think I might have tried it. I hate to say it, but it's the truth.

The drive to be the best. How can I get a tad better? If I picked up 20 yards in driver distance, I'm hitting 9 iron instead of a 7.
That would be hard for me to say no to......................

I'd like to say, if I was a top PGA Tour player, I would have said no thanks................But I do see the appeal for those trying to get better.
Bonds was an excellent player without the juice. Very possibly a HoFer. It wasn't about needing that extra oomph just to make it in the league. FFS, he was already a star before he started juicing. He didn't need 'roids to be successful. He had the talent already.

I think Bonds deserves to be in. Roids were rampant at that time. He alreasy had a HoF resume when he started doping. I think a big knock is he’s just not a likable guy.
Correct, I believe his rookie year was with, Pittsburgh? And he stole some crazy amount of bases. 16Hr, 48Rbi's, and 36 stolen bases. According to the googles.

Bonds was an excellent player without the juice. Very possibly a HoFer. It wasn't about needing that extra oomph just to make it in the league. FFS, he was already a star before he started juicing. He didn't need 'roids to be successful. He had the talent already.
Had the talent. But when you look at say, Chipper Jones. Was a bigger dude, naturally. Didnt need it.

So, you take McGwire, Sosa, and Bonds back out of the conversation.

Reactions: hooter vol
Happy Saturday

August 3, 2024: Set yourself and take a stance against all that would take you down. I am with you to build you up and give you hope, not to reduce you to tears of hopelessness, says the Lord. I am your help in trouble, your shelter in the storm, and your light in darkness. Know that I will never leave you nor forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:8 And the Lord, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake y

I know...I agree with you.
He didn't "need" it but the lure of greater things is hard to turn down................JMO

I'm pretty sure France is cheating. And we had a chance at a gold in Men's doubles tennis but fell short and got silver.

I don't think I like how the U.S. Olympic committee is run. They need to do better at grooming champions in all sports.
I expect a big improvement in 4 years when it’s on home soil in L.A.

I think Bonds deserves to be in. Roids were rampant at that time. He alreasy had a HoF resume when he started doping. I think a big knock is he’s just not a likable guy.
No one of that era who used PEDS and SET RECORDS is in the Hall. Not McGwire, Sosa, A-Rod or Clemens. Using them to help recover from injuries is its own issue. Using them for legacy accomplishment deserves this treatment imo…and more importantly the voters opinions.

He was 100% in the hall pre-juice. Gold gloves. MVPs. Multiple all stars. All the SBs. 100%

And he didn’t. So him and his Jerry Lewis head got records that’ll keep his mancave occupied…will have to suffice.
Think im of the opinion that unless MLB wants to create a separate hall wing, a HoF lite for McGwire, Canseco, Bonds, and Sosa. Then prob best to keep em all out.

Imo charlie hustle is 1000 more deserving of cooperstown.

I saw where some teams are starting to allow people to visit practices in exchange for money that’s donated to the NIL. Do you know if Tennessee is doing this?

Think im of the opinion that unless MLB wants to create a separate hall wing, a HoF lite for McGwire, Canseco, Bonds, and Sosa. Then prob best to keep em all out.

Imo charlie hustle is 1000 more deserving of cooperstown.
Especially since Rose’s career as a PLAYER stood separate from his personal actions as a manager. But baseball holds itself to higher standards and his gambling was a smear to the game. The exposed lies and denials didn’t help him either. Ty Cobb and Kirby Puckett were exposed after their deaths as low character, but no take backs with these guys.

VN Store

Back