Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Congrats on the big win team....now let's get healthy and hopefully be ready for Arkansas. They are a different team then we have faced before, very athletic QB with a good running game.

Question: Did anyone see the OL (other than Dayne Davis who was tough to watch) looking for people to block? I felt in their scheme they run a 3-3-5 but the Defensive Line does not always engage instead they diagnose a play and then run to the ball and do alot of blitzing with the backend. It's either the snap count was off but Mays would snap and then start running to second level just looking for a guy to block. It's a weird scheme to me, you are talking about some potential NFL guys and being reactivate to the call so they already lost a step.

I love how after a loss, OU fans, or really any opposing team fans, zero in on our perceived weaknesses while excusing their own as being a known quantity and thus above scrutiny.

Apparently standards apply only to us. It's okay when they underperform because it was known they weren't very good, but when we lose our two starting OTs on the road and only put up 25 points, despite going conservative, it's because we are massively overrated.
1727011820384.jpeg

The pass that was a fumble or whatever would not have mattered because they called roughing the passer.
If I remember correctly, we had 3 personal foul calls against us, at least 3; yet, they were able to rag-doll Dylan Sampson and throw him to the ground long after the whistle was blown, and were able to do so as 2 officials were looking right at it. No call.

Do I believe in corruption, absolutely, IT DOES HAPPEN ,regardless if the "smart people" around here want to accept it or not. But, the majority of bad officiating is just pure incompetence, and it has gotten worse and worse and even more worse over the last decade. That sh!t crew last night didn't even know where they were most of the night.

Last point on officiating, pure logic tells a person that the way we fly around on defense, the way we swarm, the way we rush the passer...logic says there is, at least, one hold...SOMEWHERE! Yet, not one single holding penalty on OK, all night.

Bad calls allowed them to get into the end zone, both times. It's infuriating that is how our streak came to an end.

Great win last night, with multiple things going against us: good opponent (great defense), calls, injuries, atmosphere, situation, and a field that should draw fines. That game was never in doubt, though, never. Before those two garbage drives and touchdowns, OK had like 80 yards of offense, and we were able to grind out 350 yards with a couple of back-ups up front, playing significant minutes. I'm glad that game went the way that it did. It showed we can win multiple ways, we can win games like that...slugfests, field position, defensive grinds, running the football to eat clock. We dominated in every way last night playing SMART football. There was no reason, whatsoever, to press the issue and risk turnovers...the only thing that could've beaten us.

@InVOLuntary

You ready to take back all the bad things you've said about Tim Banks? I am in love with this defense. We're getting pressure, we're making tackles, we're flying to the ball. Is it just me, or are we tackling better this year than we have in a long time? And I love that we're not afraid to lay the big hit. This has been the type of Tennessee defense I've always loved to watch.
The defense has played awesome no doubt. Banks has done a good job of not allowing teams enough time to test that secondary much at all. As Herby said last night, it will be interesting to see how the defense holds up against a true passing team, a team with a much better oline. That being said, the defense won that game last night.

I love how after a loss, OU fans, or really any opposing team fans, zero in on our perceived weaknesses while excusing their own as being a known quantity and thus above scrutiny.

Apparently standards apply only to us. It's okay when they underperform because it was known they weren't very good, but when we lose our two starting OTs on the road and only put up 25 points, despite going conservative, it's because we are massively overrated.

They just move the goalposts because they can’t accept Tennessee is back as a major title contender.

Had we not turtled the entire second half the offense probably finishes with at least another TD and 75-100 yards of offense which would put us at 425-450 total yards on offense.

VN Store

Back