Recruiting Football Talk VIII

I hear these call in shows over the years-- complaining about Tony Vitello game plan, Rick Barnes and Josh Heupel. I think all have proven themselves. I have watched Georgia win with defense for years-- I think we good no matter how we win.
This

mark of a great team is being able to win diff types of ways.

I’ve seen Bama, UGA, KC Chiefs and the Patriots do it forever. It’s the same reason Michigan beat USC yesterday too. It all matters, not just the offense.

More obnoxious? I like it!

mrw-someone-on-an-online-game-tells-me-they-remember-my-name-because-i-suck-177432.gif

Feedback from friends that traveled.

The fan experience was excellent. it would be hard for us not to cheer for OU the remaining of their season.

Their fans are great. Tailgates welcome to all, food and beverage ,you name it. Just good people that love their team and school but decent humans to opposing fans that travel.

Thoughts on the game:

1) It has to be said, the refs were atrocious. I know some hate to hear it, but the zebras obviously slanted the Sooners' way. Seemed like we could just look at them wrong and draw a flag. Meanwhile, I saw missed holding calls where they were grabbing our DL, I saw an uncalled facemask on Bishop, and I saw an uncalled PI on the Sooners. We got very few calls. I don't want preferential treatment, but goodness, call the game the same both ways.

2) Our defense is good. I mean really good. It makes me happy. DL and LBs are obviously the strength of our D, but our secondary doesn't suck. I'm on the verge of taking back every bad thing I've ever said about Willie Mo.

3) Our offense still has a ways to go. Nico has to protect the ball better. We need to get our OL healthy. When Campbell went out, you could see we were in trouble. It still bothers me that Elarbee has no one ready to fill the void. I see it as a failure in coaching, but I'm sure someone will get offended on his behalf over that remark. Compare our DL depth to our OL depth, and you will see a vast difference. Garner has his guys ready. Elarbee has the starters ready, but that's about it.

4) Heupel never really went for the kill. We won, and ultimately, that's all that matters, but I was hoping for more trickery and scoring. Is he saving it for Bama and Georgia? Was he taking it easy on his alma mater? There just weren't as many of the dynamic plays he has spoiled us with. But again, we won, and that's all that really matters.
As Herbstreet said during the broadcast, Huepel won “the surest way.” We were down to 3rd string OT in an SEC road game vs top 25 opponent, and our defense was playing lights out. That is also one of the 3 best defenses we’ll see all year. Smart to go conservative under those circumstances. Even then, Huepel took his shots in the second half, including the long bomb to Bru. You could tell he wanted this win bad, and to suggest he pumped the brakes on his Alma mater is a joke.

Conservative Huepel makes me nervous in game, but that was smart coaching in this game and shows he’s willing to adapt his style to win. I don’t see how anyone can be critical of Huepel last night.

New OU cope dropped: our win doesn’t really count because Seth Littrell was a bad hire. Also because they started Jackson Arnold instead of the backup.

But every win every other program has had against us with Dooley, Jones, Pruitt, Sal Sunseri, Justin Worley, Jarrett Guarantano, etc counts and just proves how bad we are.

Feedback from friends that traveled.

The fan experience was excellent. it would be hard for us not to cheer for OU the remaining of their season.

Their fans are great. Tailgates welcome to all, food and beverage ,you name it. Just good people that love their team and school but decent humans to opposing fans that travel.
We need OU to win so that Brent Venables' job is safe!

VN Store

Back