Recruiting Football Talk VIII

So in-season NIL negotiations are gonna become a thing?
This is why the UT brand is important. Guys like Jalin Hyatt and Dalton Knecht made a bunch of money after their success because the fanbase is so big. Autographs and shirts were being purchased.

I can't say exactly how the contracts are set up, but my guess is there is a base amount and then an opportunity for much more if the player blows up. That gives the players an incentive, and they don't have to think NIL needs to be re-negotiated.

Well if you go by Pete Thamel's report it's a bunch of he said/ he said stuff. No paper trail means no proof.
according to Thamel it was an "assistant coach" that promised" the kid $100,000 for transferring to UNLV.

--I find it hard to believe assistant coaches are pounding out details in NIL agreements

--it this happened, then the assistant coach opened his mouth and made a promise he most likely had no authority to make.

---the assistant coach's promise evidently was not in writing therefore no signed agreement by anyone

---the the kid or his parents to hold UNLV for what some assistant coach supposedly said seems off.

Well Sluka went to a Peddie School before going to College. So his Parents obviously aren't hurting for money.
they want mo money mo money mo money

Seems now (possibly ASU) offered Sluka more money, so he redshirts and saves his last year to go to ASU next year for mo money. Whatever happened Sluka is catching it bad on X formerly known as Twitter.

Last edited:
If this is true, then it is all the more reason why players need to enter into a contract with the university. There is no going back to how it use to be. Treat it just like any other job.
Why would any team want this kid now? If he crapped on a deal made with UNLV...He will do it to you too..

The two kinds of people I hate in this world more than anything outside of child molesters, rapists and true racists...are liars and thieves, it looks like this po💩 is both.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Why would any team want this kid now? If he crapped on a deal made with UNLV...He will do it to you too..

The two kinds of people I hate in this world more than anything outside of child molesters, rapists and true racists...are liars and thieves, it looks like this po💩 is both.

Monty Python | GIFGlobe
This. We would never vote for a yeti to be the king of the RF.

Actually doesn't bother me. He's an entertainer, by definition his job is pandering to his audience. It does bother me when entertainers think that their opinion on other matters is important and use their "platform" and insert into themselves political causes. Keep it to singing and acting.
Whatever...it bothers me when a declared "Tennessee Vol" panders to anybody...period. I don't expect celebrity fans of other teams to pander to us, in fact I would think it weird and weak.

This is why the UT brand is important. Guys like Jalin Hyatt and Dalton Knecht made a bunch of money after their success because the fanbase is so big. Autographs and shirts were being purchased.

I can't say exactly how the contracts are set up, but my guess is there is a base amount and then an opportunity for much more if the player blows up. That gives the players an incentive, and they don't have to think NIL needs to be re-negotiated.

That's the whole point of NIL. You play good, fans like you, Weigel's calls you up and puts your face on their milk jugs. Since they still can't pay players a salary, you get this mess we're currently in. Doubt it changes though to keep the guise of amateurism.

Maybe you should get your facts straight b4 mouthing off

We don't know it's true. Right now we don't know what happened. A contract protects both parties.

What I am about to post comes from comment sections of news articles, so take it for what it's worth..

"Sources" say the school met the NIL agreement, yet now 4 games into the season, UNLV is undefeated and a chance for the playoffs so now the kid and his parents thinks the kid is worth more money than the original agreement which UNLV will not pay, so they hired an agent and the kid will sit out the rest of the season.

There is a lot of 'he said, she said' going on right now as to what has actually happened.

more info:

𝑅𝒾𝓈𝑜𝓃
@AnalyticsGOAT
1h
Per Joe Arrigo (@joearrigofsm), a UNLV insider, "Sluka hired an NIL agent after the KU game, who's been advising him. On Monday, he met with Odom & asked for $300,000 to stay. Odom told him that's not happening, so Sluka skipped Tue practice & cleaned out his locker."

𝑅𝒾𝓈𝑜𝓃
@AnalyticsGOAT
7m
(a) UNLV can't promise Sluka anything. NIL cannot come from or be facilitated by the university. (b) If redshirting was agreed upon w/ the coach, the university would've put out a joint statement.

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel
Former UNLV QB Matthew Sluka’s NIL representation, Marcus Cromartie of Equity Sports, told ESPN that Sluka was verbally promised a minimum of $100,000 from a UNLV assistant coach for transferring there. None of that money was paid, per Cormartie.
Once Sluka enrolled there, there was no effort by the UNLV’s collective to formalize a contract at that amount. Months after Sluka enrolled and Cormartie made multiple efforts with the staff and school to address the issue.
He said the school and collective came back with a contract of $3,000 per month for the next four months. That’s $88,000 less than what Cromartie said UNLV verbally promised up front.
The only money Sluka has received from UNLV, per Cromartie, is a $3,000 re-location stipend for his move. Cromartie said there was never an ask for more money after UNLV's hot start, only the initial amount he was promised up front.
If that's true...then UNLV are the garbage thieves and liars.

Somebody there better have receipts...surely to goodness if somebody paid the guy, they got receipts and a money trail.

What a mess...if this kid was promised a certain amount of money and that promise was not kept, then I don't blame him for doing this.

That's the whole point of NIL. You play good, fans like you, Weigel's calls you up and puts your face on their milk jugs. Since they still can't pay players a salary, you get this mess we're currently in. Doubt it changes though to keep the guise of amateurism.
I thought being on a milk carton was a bad thing.

Also, in that article he states he has offers that are significantly more money from other schools. So we've also got tampering.
Where does he say he has bigger offers from other schools? I missed that part?

I saw what he had to say about UNLV though.

Sounds like they said they were going to pay him - then they crawfished on the deal. 🤷‍♀️

Where does he say he has bigger offers from other schools? I missed that part?

I saw what he had to say about UNLV though.

Sounds like they said they were going to pay him - then they crawfished on the deal. 🤷‍♀️
I hope the kid goes to another school and sucks. Imagine jeopardizing making an NFL team because you either want more money or weren’t being paid your mere 100,000.

Also, if the ASU rumors are true…. That’s tampering on the highest level.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
If that's true...then UNLV are the garbage thieves and liars.

Somebody there better have receipts...surely to goodness if somebody paid the guy, they got receipts and a money trail.

What a mess...if this kid was promised a certain amount of money and that promise was not kept, then I don't blame him for doing this.
It's strange. $100k is a lot of money. That's still $8k/mo if they were making payments. When did he enroll? Surely he would've noticed them not paying $8k/mo well before the season even started.

If he was supposed to get that amount, but didn't, it seems like they must have been lying to him and stringing him along. . .

I think they either paid him what was promised and now he wants more. . . or he's really stupid for waiting 8 months or more without payment and getting 4 games into the season before making a decision.

they want mo money mo money mo money

Seems now (possibly ASU) offered Sluka more money, so he redshirts and saves his last year to go to ASU next year for mo money. Whatever happened Sluka is catching it bad on X formerly known as Twitter.

I could defiantly see the good Reverend down on the Plains involved in a story like this.

As of today...I have lost 50 lbs...no medical or surgical help, I can't even really exercise effectively due to my horrific extreme arthritis...just pure will power and commitment.

I thank the good Lord for helping me with my will power as I have continually asked him to. Many times I have gotten aggravated, anxious or depressed which has usually triggered me to quit in times past, but I have prayed my way through it.

Now...50 more to go!

PS...this is really starting to help with the arthritic problems, I never feel good, but I feel tons better and if it continues to improve, I should soon be able to go to the gym and get even healthier.

I know most don't care and know some will mock faith having anything to do with it...but maybe somebody will get something from this to help them along a similar path.

And I owe God everything, especially the easiest thing to give...my praise.

1st Peter 2: 9
Hugs!!!

VN Store

Back