Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Yep...I've never forgiven him for that. Writes a song about John Ward and the Vols...and then wears our rivals gear when we ain't doing so hot?...bandwagon piece of crap.
Actually doesn't bother me. He's an entertainer, by definition his job is pandering to his audience. It does bother me when entertainers think that their opinion on other matters is important and use their "platform" and insert into themselves political causes. Keep it to singing and acting.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
wow one UNLV player acts like a dumbass and it's the end of college football

we are spoiled with Spyre and good leadership now. but there are plenty of collectives, programs and people in leadership across the country that have no idea what they are doing. even more players that have no idea.
That kid will get himself blackballed very quickly if he doesn't get his act together.

What an absolute loser quitting on his 3-0 team who might be able to make the playoff as the G5 rep.

What if he was promised a certain amount of money and they didn't pay him? Does that make him the bad guy or the administration? Two sides to a story? If they now pay him and he plays again is he the good guy now? Or just someone complying with his contract?

What if he was promised a certain amount of money and they didn't pay him? Does that make him the bad guy or the administration? Two sides to a story? If they now pay him and he plays again is he the good guy now? Or just someone complying with his contract?
Unless it was the university itself failing to pay him what they said they would, you don't quit on your team. And if you were dumb enough not to get a contract in writing, you kind of deserve it. If you do have a contract, keep playing and let your lawyer handle the stuff behind the scenes. Kid just torpedoed his career in my opinion.

Reactions: Glitch
What an absolute loser quitting on his 3-0 team who might be able to make the playoff as the G5 rep.

The only saving grace for him is if it is revealed that this is a Rashada situation. Wanting MORE money vs money already agreed upon. Short of that, he’s destroyed his stock with other programs AND the NFL. All the doomsayers need to recognize that the free market self regulates. A vendor that doesn’t fulfill it’s contract doesn’t get the next account.

"The starting quarterback for undefeated UNLV announced on social media Tuesday that he will not play in any more games this season.

Matthew Sluka said he will instead use his redshirt year.

“I committed to UNLV based on certain representations that were made to me, which were not upheld after I enrolled," he posted on X, formerly Twitter. "Despite discussions, it became clear that these commitments would not be fulfilled in the future. I wish my teammates the best of luck this season and hope for the continued success of the program.

NIL (and the portal) has definitely changed the college football landscape. Some recruits go to a school only for the money......no loyalty to the school, no concern for a school's academics, administration, coaches, teammates, winning games...it's all about the benjamin's. They are no longer students getting a degree but are businessmen with agents making business decisions.
None of what you said is untrue. But there are 2 sides to the equation. Some coaches/NIL are also being completely unethical in flat out telling lies to recruits that now have much more serious consequences. It will take players calling them out publicly to get things to happen on the up and up. Transparency.

Reactions: screenthis
This is a horrible look for:

UNLV
NIL
The Player........JOM, but he looks the worst.

If I were him........I'd "ball" my a$$ off and then take it up legally later.
I'm just now seeing he may have demanded to renegotiate????

If that's the case........I hope he ends up at D3.......... if he can get another year somewhere..........

I'm just now seeing he may have demanded to renegotiate????

If that's the case........I hope he ends up at D3.......... if he can get another year somewhere..........
Can Grad Student RS at another University?. The guy played 4 years at Holy Cross.🤷

Good grief how many years they allowing to be played in College now by athletes?

From their board

"UNLV insider Joe Arrigo is currently live on a Twitter space. He says Sluka went into Coach Odom’s office on Tuesday and said he needed $300k to stay. Odom said that was not happening and Sluka cleared out his locker. Sluka skipped practice on Wednesday and posted his intention to leave that night. Arroyo believes Sluka got an NIL agent after the Kansas game who got into Sluka’s ear about making more NIL money. The re may or may not be another school involved, but the timing of this implies that this is a play to try to strong arm UNLV into a payday now.*

Another post said he started following an ASU coach

Can Grad Student RS at another University?. The guy played 4 years at Holy Cross.🤷
no clue............
I'd say if I pressed hard enough, I could find some loophole where I could play one more year..........

I never redshirted. Some things were promised to me that I didn't get.
I could sue for 1 more year......🤔

View attachment 680593
@Weezer's Mom loves old timey bluegrass music. When ETSU got its Bluegrass program, she demanded to take it all in!

Seriously if you havent heard of Ickes and Hensley, you're welcome.

Here's another.

Fyi, Trey is a Johnson Citian. Great ambassador for ETSU.

Rob won about 750,000 awards with Blue Highway. And has done jazz, instrumental, and Gospel albums. Including a Grammy with Jerry Douglas.

VN Store

Back