Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Tennessee is but do you like the conferences now, kids opting out after 4 games, and ticket prices?

The "soul" of college football is gone. It's gone corporate
They are making so much money from media & corporate sponsors that the tickets could be free and they'd barely notice. I would hope at some point they have to start rewarding the fans. . . or do something to at least make the fans feel like they are getting some part of all the $ being brought it.

I have a plan, now I just need to get everyone in charge at UT to listen. . . or find a way to blackmail them into submission.

DK is showing Vols -11 to start. Be interesting to see where it moves after their game v Auburn. 🤔 I’m gonna take the -11 now and see again after tomorrow’s game.

View attachment 681266
I think we win by about 17. 41-24 or something like that.

Edit: I keep forgetting we have a suffocating defense when I predict these scores. Arky may not get to 17, but I think the Vols will cross 40.

Last edited:
Way to totally miss the point. The point isn’t about impacting the way they watch football. His point was that it is a joke (or a “lie”) to refer to this as fighting for justice when Reggie Bush would have given everything he had for the chance to play college football for free.

I am saying that I agree with them, and to say that this system existed “at the expense of the players” is ridiculous.
Way to latch onto the wrong point. You said that I lost you at "at the expense of the SAs". Nothing in that convoluted, vitriolic take does he disprove the statement that breaking antitrust law is corporate business at the expense of the players.

And the "he knew what he was signing up for" logic does not negate the ethics, legality, or fact that the system was rigged at the expense of the athletes. Built into the concept of antitrust laws is that the corporations have created and wielded enough power to create a system where the employees/consumers basically HAVE TO participate in an unfair system to participate AT ALL. It's a red herring.

But at the end of the day, we see that it's still been an illegal system profiting AT THE EXPENSE of the student athletes, unless you have some other more valid reason to question that statement.

That's because Tennessee had a bad coach in most of those years. Dooley, Jones and Pruitt.🤦🤦🤦🤦

I look towards the future not dwell on the past.

Same. It's some kind of weird superstition that looks back at completely different/previous teams that wore the UT uniform, most under completely different coaching staffs, against completely different/previous teams wearing the UF uniform, most under completely different coaching staffs. It's like being convinced your wife is cheating on you because other wives have cheated at times throughout history.

Maybe you just show faith in your wife until SHE gives you reason to worry.

We lost a completely winnable game against them just last season. I think we’re better than Florida again this year, but we still haven’t put them behind us. Time to start a streak against them because eventually they’ll make the right hire.

We lost a completely winnable game against them just last season. I think we’re better than Florida again this year, but we still haven’t put them behind us. Time to start a streak against them because eventually they’ll make the right hire.
Would you not consider "last season" to fall under the "different/previous" team banner that I mentioned?

Way to latch onto the wrong point. You said that I lost you at "at the expense of the SAs". Nothing in that convoluted, vitriolic take does he disprove the statement that breaking antitrust law is corporate business at the expense of the players.

And the "he knew what he was signing up for" logic does not negate the ethics, legality, or fact that the system was rigged at the expense of the athletes. Built into the concept of antitrust laws is that the corporations have created and wielded enough power to create a system where the employees/consumers basically HAVE TO participate in an unfair system to participate AT ALL. It's a red herring.

But at the end of the day, we see that it's still been an illegal system profiting AT THE EXPENSE of the student athletes, unless you have some other more valid reason to question that statement.
I would like to hear you to go on the same rant about high school athletics.

And middle school. Is that breaking child labor laws too?

I dunno. I think this year the DL vs OL mismatch will just be insurmountable for them. We've seen it go against us the other way many times, especially vs the Gators.

We come into the game looking okay and like we'll be competitive, and their DL just forces 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out. Basically like what we did to Oklahoma. We'd still feel like we had a chance until late in the third and then they would start running all over our tired DL. They'd get a 2 TD lead and milk the clock and that was it.

I think Heupel will be more aggressive and try to absolutely bury them, but I'm sort of wary of that because flukey, weird things always happen vs them. And a pick six or strip sack for a short field or TD could turn that game into another "here we go again" affair. I also doubt we erase turnovers like we did vs OU if they happen.

It will be interesting to see the game plan for the Gators. A conservative approach wins easily because we will grind them down, but it won't be fun to watch because it will be close for a while, and that will send everyone's anxiety into overdrive.

It made the play dead instead of it being free play with a shot at the endzone.

Yep, a guaranteed 5 yards instead of 5 yards OR result of the play! But not sure if he did it on purpose or just reacted to the movement by Pearce. Pretty quick action after the jump when I watched on replay. Result is the same.

I would like to hear you to go on the same rant about high school athletics.

And middle school. Is that breaking child labor laws too?
If I did, would it change the facts about the NCAA that you still haven't successfully disputed? I mean, it's a hard sell that corporate antitrust practices aren't "at the expense" of the athletes.

Let's change it up a bit.

All the grocery stores in the US meet quarterly to set minimum prices for food. People need to buy food so have to accept the prices at every grocery store, so they shop knowing the prices when they walk in. That's illegal, and it's literally at the expense of the customers.

Every company that has cybersecurity teams think, "You know what? These folks are expensive and we'd make a lot more profit if we didn't have to pay them as much money. Let's just all agree not to pay more than, say, $15/hr. That's illegal, and it's at the expense of the employees, even if they know that they only be making $15/hr going to work there.

All the credit card companies worry about salary competition among their data analysts, so they all agree not to try to recruit employees from each other. That is illegal and are corporate practices at the expense of the employees.

*Note that these are three examples from the corporate Antitrust training that I have to take every year because the huge corporation that I work for will get brutalized if their people participate in any of this.

Reactions: volsfan_17
Great point!

Kinda feel like they win though. For some reason I don't think Bama is that great at all. I just don't get the Milroe hype.
He's not great, but neither is Beck. Both are serviceable, but Milroe can use his legs better. I think Bama gets it done and hopefully UGA loses to Texas too. Get them nice and deflated.

They are making so much money from media & corporate sponsors that the tickets could be free and they'd barely notice. I would hope at some point they have to start rewarding the fans. . . or do something to at least make the fans feel like they are getting some part of all the $ being brought it.

I have a plan, now I just need to get everyone in charge at UT to listen. . . or find a way to blackmail them into submission.

100,000 seats times $80 average ticket (low estimate) times 7 games is $56 million. That is roughly 25% of the revenue brought in last year. That’s definitely noticeable.

Reactions: jave36
I dunno. I think this year the DL vs OL mismatch will just be insurmountable for them. We've seen it go against us the other way many times, especially vs the Gators.

We come into the game looking okay and like we'll be competitive, and their DL just forces 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out. Basically like what we did to Oklahoma. We'd still feel like we had a chance until late in the third and then they would start running all over our tired DL. They'd get a 2 TD lead and milk the clock and that was it.

I think Heupel will be more aggressive and try to absolutely bury them, but I'm sort of wary of that because flukey, weird things always happen vs them. And a pick six or strip sack for a short field or TD could turn that game into another "here we go again" affair. I also doubt we erase turnovers like we did vs OU if they happen.

It will be interesting to see the game plan for the Gators. A conservative approach wins easily because we will grind them down, but it won't be fun to watch because it will be close for a while, and that will send everyone's anxiety into overdrive.
I believe this team will be thinking about paybacks against Florida this year. And I so long for a streak against the Gators, my least favorite opponent.

Reactions: Orange_Crush

VN Store

Back