Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Nah. I totally disagree and love the playoff. More teams and more battles means more chaos. You and Bama can no longer just win one important game to win it all.

I also think this game has huge stakes for your two fanbases. More so for UGA imo due to schedule and expectations. Y'all's game is going to have one fan base questioning their identity. UGA and Bama fans have been on autopilot for 5-10 years sweating almost none of your regular season matchups. This is the one where doubts likely creep in.

UGA:
Is Kirby jinxed against Bama?
Is our offense good enough?
Where has our skill players recruiting gone?
Should we fire Bobo?

Bama:
Is DeBoer the guy?
Will his scheme work?
what is up with our OL recruiting?
All that is fair enough, but I still disagree. I’m not worried about a jinx, or about UGA’s offense at the talent/schematic level. Carson Beck may have a ceiling, but I’ve seen enough from him and Bobo (and Smart) to be past those questions. As someone else said a few pages up, if Jake Fromm can get to a national championship game, Beck is good enough.

We’ll get a good glimpse of our team on Saturday, but I don’t feel the weight the season like I am used to feeling in big games. It’s a very NFL feeling.

Don’t get me wrong: I understand why people like a larger playoff. But I disagree about it making things harder for teams like UGA and Bama. Top teams will make an 12-team field every year. Last year, one loss kept UGA out. This year, UGA has at least one mulligan and probably two. It helps my team, but hurts the sport (I think).

Greed will wreck college football. All the conference realignments and these "red shirt transfers" coming out are just a little more of the iceberg showing. ESPN/Disney, 10 million per year coaches, and NIL will continue to deteriorate what was the greatest sports organization of all time...... college football.
It's better now than it's been in a long, long time, so I'm not sure where you get "continue to deteriorate."

I would personally love to see it. I think the tv ratings would LOVE it.

I hope it happens this year…both teams are good. Whichever one is undefeated going into their matchup, I hope the other lets them win to get that spot lol

The week rest can be both good and bad…good cause you’re still in game shape, but bad obviously cause the other team is fresh.

would be awesome for whoever gets them in cfp. a bye week, essentially

Here is some more context on why Oklahoma has lived a very privileged existence in their history.

Let's take their 1956 team that finished No.1 for example. They beat ONE team with a winning record, No.20 Colorado by 8.

Otherwise they beat
1-9 Texas
2-8 Notre Dame
2-8 UNC
3-6-1 Kansas
3-7 K State
4-6 Nebraska
4-5-1 Mizzou
3-5-2 Oklahoma St

Compare that record to the Vols who finished No.2
5-4 Chatt (wasn't FCS then)
7-3 Auburn
5-4-1 Duke
5-5 Vandy who had been ranked.
6-4 UK
7-3 No.19 Ole Miss
Won AT 10-1 No.2 Georgia Tech.

It's not even close, but they got the nod because of their cupcake filled winning streak. Most of their history is filled with dominating crap programs. They invested a little more than everyone else and have had a pretty dang easy road to being a blueblood.

It's better now than it's been in a long, long time, so I'm not sure where you get "continue to deteriorate."
Tennessee is but do you like the conferences now, kids opting out after 4 games, and ticket prices?

The "soul" of college football is gone. It's gone corporate

Tennessee is but do you like the conferences now, kids opting out after 4 games, and ticket prices?

It's BEEN corporate. It's just that the corporations and universities were raking in the $$$ via price-fixing at the students' expense, in the name of 'amateurism". It needs to be rectified. It'll probably get kind of messy while the market finds its equilibrium, but I think it's a mess we need to endure instead of the pining for the days of old when it was corporate at the expense of the players.

Reactions: volsfan_17
It's Friday and we still don't have a Bye Week thread! Are we going to have to ask @Glitch ?
I am not well...
Not Sick GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

IMG_5049.jpeg
Vols come into this week 4-0.

Many pundits have placed this team on a peddle stool, however, as we BVS sufferers know belief is folly.

Tennessee, or, Tinnersee depending on if you are Steve from Lexington, needs to heal up.

After calling off the dogs at the sand pit known as Norman Oklahoma, Tennessee has a walk on at OT, and some other guy at tackle...swiiing and amish...

IMG_5052.gif

Tennessee is 130-0 versus Bye Week. However, if Scooby Doo and gang cant figure out the Mystery of Lance Heard's Disappearance in time for the game, we may be in trouble.

IMG_5053.gif

(waiting on possum to shop Nick's head in thar)

So, thanks to Glitch & Nick for neglecting their responsibilities, morans. This is what happens!

Buckle your chin straps, and adjust your VFL cups. Cause Cheggars will have the call, for this weeks game. Go Vols.

Last edited:

I prefer the way it used to be by far. SEC with 10 or 12 teams. Lots of conferences with Power teams. More of an amateur sport where players had more allegiance to teams. I did always want some compensation for the players. I'm not liking this full on 'professionalization' of college athletics. Thus, give me the 70s and 80s.

Reactions: cgarner30
Here is some more context on why Oklahoma has lived a very privileged existence in their history.

Let's take their 1956 team that finished No.1 for example. They beat ONE team with a winning record, No.20 Colorado by 8.

Otherwise they beat
1-9 Texas
2-8 Notre Dame
2-8 UNC
3-6-1 Kansas
3-7 K State
4-6 Nebraska
4-5-1 Mizzou
3-5-2 Oklahoma St

Compare that record to the Vols who finished No.2
5-4 Chatt (wasn't FCS then)
7-3 Auburn
5-4-1 Duke
5-5 Vandy who had been ranked.
6-4 UK
7-3 No.19 Ole Miss
Won AT 10-1 No.2 Georgia Tech.

It's not even close, but they got the nod because of their cupcake filled winning streak. Most of their history is filled with dominating crap programs. They invested a little more than everyone else and have had a pretty dang easy road to being a blueblood.
Tennessee is 2-3 against them H2H. All other numbers IMO as a Tennessee fan perspective are irrelevant.

I'm 6'4" and around 220. Was almost down to 210 (my goal weight). But I fluctuate. Still will be overweight according to BMI.
I'm 5'-11" weighing in at 235ish a few years ago I was running up to 8 miles 2-3 times per week and lifting heavy. I had to do an insurance exam which told me I was obese boardering on morbidly obese. I went and took health coaching from a 5'-4" 250 lb lady that told me I really had to start making better health choices. All I could remember was my wife saying "please don't say anything" to me before I went. It got so bad that certain individuals within the office started adjusting my numbers so I wouldn't have to go do that crap yearly.

It's BEEN corporate. It's just that the corporations and universities were raking in the $$$ via price-fixing at the students' expense, in the name of 'amateurism". It needs to be rectified. It'll probably get kind of messy while the market finds its equilibrium, but I think it's a mess we need to endure instead of the pining for the days of old when it was corporate at the expense of the players.
“at the expense of the players”… you’re losing me…

Teddy Lehman (7-year NFL vet) says it better than I could in this video (talking about Reggie Bush suing the NCAA and USC) — watch from 1:55:40-1:58:20 and from 2:00:20-2:01:10. [NSFW]

Edited to clarify that I don’t endorse all of what is said in the linked video (language particularly), but I share their general sentiments as I understood them.

Last edited:
Not disputing that McCoy is a smart player, but how does him reaching across the line to touch the wr negate penalty on Pearce being in the neutral zone?
It didn't negate the offsides..but it immediately killed the play...no free play bomb for them because as soon as he touched him the play was whistled dead..

See....it was brilliant.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra

VN Store

Back