Recruiting Football Talk VIII

What is it about amateur sports you’re afraid of losing?
Integrated athletic departments. The scholastic sports system as we know it. I don’t understand why anyone feels that schools should be subject to this pressure to pay kids to play on their sports teams. These are schools. We should encourage them to fund and operate robust athletic departments that provide opportunities for kids and help develop athletes in sports other than the one that gives everyone CTE (e.g. Olympic sports, women’s sports).

It’s great that a few of these sports generate tons of revenue, because it helps to fund all sorts of other good things.

Who knows where the “market” ends up, since these universities are funded with taxpayer dollars… but putting aside those dynamics, the “market” would probably end up with a handful of schools that would actually would have an appetite to actually participate in paying competitively bid salaries for athletes, and even then it would be limited to football, basketball and maybe some baseball or hockey or something, and those schools would cut all of their other sports, including all women’s sports. All other schools would be desperately trying to figure out how they could form an “amateur” league with other schools where they are not trying to do this professional sports model but just have normal school teams, like high schools do… and like the NCAA.

(That’s probably not exactly how it would turn out… I’m just trying to cast a general vision.)
The money they’re haggling over and posturing isn’t endowments and/or tuition funded and it’s DEFINITELY not government state grants. It’s MULTIPLE BILLIONS from broadcast, streaming and marketing. It’s going to be divvied up by the universities which provide the STAGE (arenas and fanbase brand), coaches, ADs and vital support personnel and of course the players. Dartmouth gets a much smaller slice of the pie and continues their Ivy League pursuits. Free market works.

The money they’re haggling over and posturing isn’t endowments and/or tuition funded and it’s DEFINITELY not government state grants. It’s MULTIPLE BILLIONS from broadcast, streaming and marketing. It’s going to be divvied up by the universities which provide the STAGE (arenas and fanbase brand), coaches, ADs and vital support personnel and of course the players. Dartmouth gets a much smaller slice of the pie and continues their Ivy League pursuits. Free market works.
It doesn’t matter. Money is fungible. Money that universities pay to football players is money that they could have used for something else — which would then have to be funded with government dollars (directly, or indirectly through student loan programs, etc.), or else not be funded at all.

It isn't an issue of sides. I'm simply stating that after 10 years in premium seating, the value of the product is no longer worth the price. I'm not alone in my thinking.
I support you. I know many that regretted cheaper seats being replaced by the premium seats you believe are now a bad value. My dad's seats were part of one of those such displacements.

Integrated athletic departments. The scholastic sports system as we know it. I don’t understand why anyone feels that schools should be subject to this pressure to pay kids to play on their sports teams. These are schools. We should encourage them to fund and operate robust athletic departments that provide opportunities for kids and help develop athletes in sports other than the one that gives everyone CTE (e.g. Olympic sports, women’s sports).

It’s great that a few of these sports generate tons of revenue, because it helps to fund all sorts of other good things.
Have you checked the baseVols' roster and portal hauls? They're also thrilled they're going to get full scholarships, too. Apparently weren't in love with pure amateurism. And there's finally a work-around for baseball's unfair T9 penalty. Unless someone f---s it up.

And btw scholarships were originally introduced explicitly as a form of payment. Somehow that sanctioned pay-for-play was supposed to end the bag game pfp.

These are the good ole days.

Reactions: DD4ME

VN Store

Back