Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Prayers for everyone affected by the storm. We went to Georgia and got my Mom before things got bad there. Brother in SE Georgia as well as some of my wife's relatives had extensive damage to their homes and vehicles. God protected all of them so no one was injured. Any of y'all in areas where there is danger of flooding be patient and be safe. God Bless!!

I support you. I know many that regretted cheaper seats being replaced by the premium seats you believe are now a bad value. My dad's seats were part of one of those such displacements.
Those seats displaced my parking. Parking that was close enough that my substantially disabled wife could make the journey.

But since voicing concern is apparently considered proselytizing I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Reactions: DD4ME
It doesn’t matter. Money is fungible. Money that universities pay to football players is money that they could have used for something else — which would then have to be funded with government dollars (directly, or indirectly through student loan programs, etc.), or else not be funded at all.
It's been the design forever to partition off and grow athletic departments while preventing use of the money for (what used to be) the core mission of colleges and universities. In the same way administrators have skyrocketed in numbers. Teaching faculties have become a tiny island in gigantic organizations. Lowering student-teacher ratios and tuition are a pipe dream. That boat sailed long ago.

Last edited:
Have you checked the baseVols' roster and portal hauls? They're also thrilled they're going to get full scholarships, too. Apparently weren't in love with pure amateurism. And there's finally a work-around for baseball's unfair T9 penalty. Unless someone f---s it up.

And btw scholarships were originally introduced explicitly as a form of payment. Somehow that sanctioned pay-for-play was supposed to end the bag game pfp.

These are the good ole days.
Baseball loses money every year. The logic of saying the football players should get the money they generate leads to cutting the baseball team.

Baseball loses money every year. The logic of saying the football players should get the money they generate leads to cutting the baseball team.
NIL and the portal have been a huge part of baseball's success. Same way with basketball.

---
Also what you decry would be... pure amateurism. Pure amateurism means no money. Amateurism literally refers to playing solely for love of the game. since the Olympics long ago dropped amateurism, people forget what amateurism even means.

Moreover, T9 -- not football -- has caused baseball's funding problem. NIL is the solution.

Last edited:
they will probably use the west bound side for east bound as well..probably one lane each way, but maybe they can use shoulder for extra lanes..that is if the west bound side isnt damaged. Still be backed up for miles each way. Surprised no traffic went over the cliff.
Erosion just like this in the Tetons this spring while I was there. Side of the mountain fell off around a bend. They brought in fill over the next several weeks along along the inside of the curve and allowed traffic to pass real slow. Problem here is there is a mountain in the way on the intact portion.

NIL and the portal have been a huge part of baseball's success. Same way with basketball.

---
Also what you decry would be... pure amateurism. Pure amateurism means no money.
What I am saying is that schools should be free to join up under a governing body (NCAA) to make rules and administer competitions, etc., and those rules should be permitted to include rules restricting compensation of student-athletes, limiting transfers, etc. (aka “restraints of trade”).

What I am saying is that schools should be free to join up under a governing body (NCAA) to make rules and administer competitions, etc., and those rules should be permitted to include rules restricting compensation of student-athletes, limiting transfers, etc. (aka “restraints of trade”).
That's illegal.

VN Store

Back