Recruiting Football Talk VIII

October 2, 1978

"Bucky "f'ing" Dent" 😄 :)

Boston led the third-place Yankees by 11½ games at the All-Star break and looked to be searching for the “cruise control” switch to coast to a division title. With one month to go in the season, Boston still led the Yankees by 6½ games. The Yankees went head-to-head with Boston seven times in September. The Bronx Bombers took six of seven and pulled ahead of the Bosox by 2½ games on September 17.

But Boston had a resurgence, posting a 12-2 record to close the season. Heading into the season’s final game, the Yankees held a one-game advantage. But Cleveland defeated New York, 9-2, while Boston topped Toronto, 5-0. The result was a one-game playoff at Fenway Park.

In the bottom of the sixth, Boston increased its lead to 2-0. Burleson led off with a double to right field. Remy laid down a bunt to third base and Burleson took third. He scored when Jim Rice singled to center field.

The Yankees mounted their comeback in the top of the seventh inning. With one away, Chris Chambliss singled to center field. Roy White followed suit with another base hit to center. Yankee manager Bob Lemon sent the left-handed Jim Spencer to pinch-hit for Brian Doyle. Spencer flied out to left field. Bucky Dent came to the plate and sent a Torrez pitch high over the Green Monster to give the visitors a 3-2 lead. The partisan crowd of 32,925 at Fenway fell silent as Dent made the grand tour around the bags. For Dent, the number-nine hitter in the Yankees lineup, it was his fifth home run of the year.

New York owner George Steinbrenner was watching the game from the box seats by the Yankees’ third-base dugout with the club president, Al Rosen. “Al called Bucky’s home run just before he hit it,” the Boss said. “ ‘He’s gonna hit one out,’ and sure enough he did. It couldn’t happen to a finer young man.”

The New York Yankees were the champs of the AL East Division.

1727873250692.png

I can’t, I just can’t. I now have a massive headache. Can’t imagine why. I got censored. I should know better and keep my big trap shut and stay here. Note to self, keep your mouth shut and just read on here.
I saw the post and it was really good (after the edit). You've got to go into the PF guns blazing and let them know where you stand. Just don't make posting in there a habit. There's wormholes and traps on every page.

Lille v R Madrid. BTTS - Yes + o2.5 goals + o.5 1st half goals is +254. . . should hit. . . I hate soccer. . . also hate betting on matches outside of each team's main league.

Reactions: mrMet
flirted with doctoral programs, never did. the amount of work involved, debt to income, and ROI just didnt make sense, in a short term scenario.

microscopically, the sacrifices are real. unless you come from a well to do family, finances are not ideal. but you come out on other side, better, more well educated etc.

anyone who throws shade at post graduate accomplishment, havent been through the wringer. congrats sir, well deserved.

Go Vols.

VN Store

Back