Recruiting Football Talk VIII

It is a weird feeling going into every game having a very hard time finding a path for our opponents victory.

Pate bringing up BVS does got me thinking though.

Heupel still has to prove he can go a full season without a stinker and losing a game we shouldn't lose. Arguably in his first season we didn't really blow it. Maybe the Pitt or Purdue games.

The USCjr mizzou and Florida no shows do come to mind.

We do however...kinda have a long history of blowing it against lesser opponents. Superior teams coming up one game short. Even back to Neylands first 7 seasons where he was 54-2-5. Only two of those seasons had a loss and the others had one tie. Just kinda weird how we could be that dominant and not have a 10-0 record in any of them. Only 1938 was unblemished. There's even the weird loss to a bad Miss St team in 1950. Dickey was super close a lot. Majors always blew it at some point. Fulmer blew it a ton, like losing to Memphis somehow. 01 blowing it against UGA and LSU.

Even us at least finishing 10-2 with losses to UGA and Bama would be one of the few times we've ever not blown it against an inferior team at some point in the year.

Big opportunity for Heup to establish a more consistent program. I think our guys have the right mindset to not be complacent, but we do indeed have to contend with that history.

flirted with doctoral programs, never did. the amount of work involved, debt to income, and ROI just didnt make sense, in a short term scenario.

microscopically, the sacrifices are real. unless you come from a well to do family, finances are not ideal. but you come out on other side, better, more well educated etc.

anyone who throws shade at post graduate accomplishment, havent been through the wringer. congrats sir, well deserved.

Go Vols.
Most doctoral programs either require being the child of wealth or the incurrance of tons of debt. I'm one of the few fields of academia where we get PAID to get master's and PhDs. I would not have done this if I wasn't getting paid (not much, but enough to live). And if it had not been for my wife securing a great job, I would've had to drop out when she got pregnant.

So you could say the only smart things I've done is marry a smart, capable woman so I could be a trophy husband and pick a field of study that generates tons of grant $$$ LOL

It is a weird feeling going into every game having a very hard time finding a path for our opponents victory.

Heupel still has to prove he can go a full season without a stinker and losing a game we shouldn't lose. Arguably in his first season we didn't really blow it. Maybe the Pitt or Purdue games.

We do however...kinda have a long history of blowing it against lesser opponents. Superior teams coming up one game short. Even back to Neylands first 7 seasons where he was 54-2-5. Only two of those seasons had a loss and the others had one tie. Just kinda weird how we could be that dominant and not have a 10-0 record in any of them. Only 1938 was unblemished. There's even the weird loss to a bad Miss St team in 1950. Dickey was super close a lot. Majors always blew it at some point. Fulmer blew it a ton, like losing to Memphis somehow. 01 blowing it against UGA and LSU.

Even us at least finishing 10-2 with losses to UGA and Bama would be one of the few times we've ever not blown it against an inferior team at some point in the year.

Big opportunity for Heup to establish a more consistent program. I think our guys have the right mindset to not be complacent, but we do indeed have to contend with that history.
I remember several 'terribly' coached games under Butch and Heup. The Georgia State game really sticks out where the players couldn't even line up right. With Heup, I haven't seen a terribly called game. I've seen players underperform which has something to do with our lesser talent in previous years. This year, we have the talent with good depth thus I don't expect a let down. I'm with you, other than Bama and Georgia (and we can beat them), win out.

Oh, how far we have come as a program when we have this discussion. Our conference is just tough. While you may not play great teams every week, you play competent teams. Arkansas has two losses in OT and by 4 points. The team we always beat every year just lost to UGA by one and beat a top 6 team. Just the nature of our conference.

Rumor has it we will wear orange helmets this weekend 👀
ppf-lol.gif

jk.... B2A

5a3cfed1-b1e6-4670-bf2a-93f4372f4de7_text.gif

Great as Travis Henry was, if we don’t lose Jamal Lewis in that game? We’re that much better! Doubt Stoerner’s Fumble would have mattered…we’d have been safely ahead.
This was the next year. I went to the Swamp and all home games. We ran a sweep like 3 straight times late in the Swamp and got stuffed. Alex Brown knew the snap count.

VN Store

Back