Recruiting Football Talk VIII

From CJH postgame interview:

"Let me just say one more thing: The standard at Tennessee is to be elite on defense. This is the home of Reggie White, Al Wilson, Eric Berry."

I think we can see why this defense is performing at such a high level. I’m going to venture a guess that this has been drilled into the heads of the staff and the players all offseason that being elite on defense is expected here and mediocre play is not tolerated.

This is the type of culture that I’ve been waiting for.

Here’s the link to the interview:
The embedded video at the top of the article is fun, too.

Reactions: SmokinBob and 25vol
Dropped down holding his knee after making a stop. Was lined up pre-snap and then just fell and clutched his knee...

He was grinning big in a post-game photo, so hopefully it was just one of those unfortunate 'injuries' that typically happen after PATs for us...
🤣🤣🤣 yea I thought he was faking too but someone asked Heup about him in the press conference. Either they didn't know he was faking or they were trying to be funny. I couldn't remember if he came back in the game or not.

Reactions: JP_UT_O&W and 25vol
At one point we had blitzed 9 of 18 plays to start the game. Guess who dialed that up? Banks. Pay attention
Why wouldn't he blitz? Why do you think I think he wouldn't blitz? The defensive line is so good he never had to blitz? I never said that. We had 7 in the box the entire game. I'm not blind.
I have a great idea. Let's not even have a defensive coordinator. Just let the position coaches recruit and develop their players and we'll be Golden. We don't need no stinking game plan.
I don't really know what that's getting at. Anyway.

I think we have possibly the best front 7 in the country. That makes play calling and game planning easier. That makes the secondary play easier. As our DC/safeties coach I don't give Banks a lot of individual credit for the talent and development of the front 7. As such, the absolute domination tonight doesn't really change my thoughts on him as our DC. We have an almost entirely new secondary. They will have a chance to be tested more thoughrely moving forward. And then I'll be right here praising Tim Banks if they answer the call. That's my opinion.

But, this is a Wednesday debate topic at best. Definitely not a Saturday night after butt whooping topic. Shouldn't have went there. Knew I shouldn't have and did anyway. My bad 👍

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Y'all gonna make me do this.

We have the best Dline and linebackers that we've had since the 90s. Are we really giving Banks significant credit for that? Willie?

That said, until I see evidence to the contrary I think McCoy is a damn player. Knowing they only have to cover for a couple of seconds tops has to be good for the confidence.
Yes.......... recruiting is at least 80% of the battle in CFB and even more so on the defensive side. VN recruiting forum regulars should know this!!!!! smh

Oregon so lucky. Lucky Boise states qb is garbage. They’re gonna have to develop a defense if they want to be a true contender.

I looked at NC State's 2023 defensive team stat rankings for some perspective...

#3 in the country in Interceptions per game (1.3)
#26 total PPG allowed (20.8)
#19 in First Downs allowed (16.9)
#25 in RUSHING YPG allowed (116.5)
#52 in PASSING YPG allowed (215.6)
#17 in passing percent completion allowed (56.5%)

The interception # stood out the most. Makes me feel better about Nico's 2 tonight, even if 1 of them was very flukey...

I was surprised to see their ypg ranking be better against the pass than the run...but they did have lots of INTs and lower completion percentage.

We were #22 in PPG, #64 in passing ypg, #122 in passing completion % (!!!), #21 in rushing ypg allowed, #50 in first downs, #53 in INTs.

Safe to say our defensive stats are looking much improved, albeit against non-SEC teams so far.

🤣🤣🤣 yea I thought he was faking too but someone asked Heup about him in the press conference. Either they didn't know he was faking or they were trying to be funny. I couldn't remember if he came back in the game or not.
Coach also can't admit that he was faking an injury in his press conference lol

VN Store

Back