Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last three days:

21/03/2020 - 6557 new cases 793 deaths (I believe this will be the peak)

22/03/2020 - 5560 new cases 651 deaths

23/03/2020 - 4789 new cases 601 deaths.

Italy locked down nationally on March 9th, today is 23rd.
How far behind on testing are they? Is it 3 days or a week? I assume deaths is a daily number and tests are a few days behind.

The danger is pretty small now.
Listening to Trump today it sounds like he plans to open the country back up in a matter of a few weeks. Hopefully this 2 week quarantine in Ga is the last of it. At some point you have to make trade offs, as difficult as they can be. Shutting down the economy for too long would destroy us and send us into a depression if not worse.

Knox County issues "safer at home" order. Also closing all non essential businesses.

Knox County closes all nonessential businesses with ‘safer at home order’
That would be me. I'm shut down. Offered the guys a chance to work. They decided they didn't want to. Maybe a couple will work independently. We'll see. I told them I wasn't worried about production. We can withstand a couple of weeks. I was worried about their financial wellbeing. They said they would be ok.

Indeed and tons of independent businesses will fail due to this.
Yup, lots of businesses will fail due to COVID. It was nearly unavoidable, unless we had reacted as soon as Wuhan began to blow up.

Luckily these semi-early measures will save tons of jobs and businesses, still, compared to COVID job losses if we had done nothing.

Can one have the flu and Covid-19 at the same time?
Initially, the thought was that only about 2% of COVID cases had co-infection with other viral illnesses, so the guidelines were to do a PCR respiratory virus panel that tests for a bunch of common viruses. If something came up positive, you then weren't allowed to test for COVID. This never made any sense to me. During the winter, it's not uncommon to see preschoolers test positive for 3 viruses. These likely represent multiple infections starting at different times, and explains waves of illness but constant runny noses in this age group. Probably 3 or 4 times a year, I'll see 4 concurrent positives. One of my colleagues recently had a patient with 5, but that's almost as rare as the pan-positive urine drug screen (marijuana, cocaine, meth, opiates, benzos, barbiturates and (highest degree of difficulty these days) PCP).

Since early in the outbreak, with more sampling, the current thinking is that there is up to a 20% co-infection rate in all comers. One study in critically ill patients in China at multiple different hospitals showed rates between 20 and 80%. There does seem to be a trend toward higher co-infection rates in sicker people. Not sure if co-infection worsens severity of illness (though this seems quite plausible) or severe illness increases susceptibility to other infections.

We are are starting to realize that the tests are about 75% sensitive. No bueno. It's not clear if this is a problem with the PCR test itself, getting an adequate sample to test (which should have been controlled for in the attached article "singapore testing") or due to some characteristic of the virus itself. Take a few minutes to look at figure 1 at the top of page 4 - lots of data crammed in, but very informative. Pay close attention to the red and green dots. Positive, then negative, then positive again. Patients sick enough to be in the ICU with negative tests on random days. It's definitely frustrating, and means that a negative test still requires the same quarantine or a second test if still symptomatic. The other concerning thing is the number of days that virus continues to be shed after folks are asymptomatic.

Attachments

• COVID plus flu.pdf
    173.7 KB · Views: 8
  • singapore testing.pdf
    371.8 KB · Views: 3
That would be me. I'm shut down. Offered the guys a chance to work. They decided they didn't want to. Maybe a couple will work independently. We'll see. I told them I wasn't worried about production. We can withstand a couple of weeks. I was worried about their financial wellbeing. They said they would be ok.
You're a good man to offer it.

Listening to Trump today it sounds like he plans to open the country back up in a matter of a few weeks. Hopefully this 2 week quarantine in Ga is the last of it. At some point you have to make trade offs, as difficult as they can be. Shutting down the economy for too long would destroy us and send us into a depression if not worse.

What has he shut down? He has left it up to the governor's. The governor's will be the ones to open it back up now no matter what Trump says. If he had shut everything down 2 weeks ago we would already be on the backside of this thing.

Reactions: barrylee and UTProf
Can you explain why it would send us into a depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back