Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post. I agree on the patience thing.

We have to just keep going, flipping the roster, recruiting as well as possible, and hope to get the lucky breaks. Whether those breaks involve finding a stud QB, having a game where UF/UGA/Bama turns the ball over 4 times to our 0, or even one of those programs somehow imploding. Hell, if we had our **** together post-Fulmer, we would likely have run off several in a row vs UF and be about even with UGA since 2010.

It is interesting that Spurrier made South Carolina into essentially a national title contending team (No. 4 postseason in 2013) but never had enormous talent outside of a few playmakers.

On Spurrier, there was a point where I thought he’d hang it up before they had that stretch between 2010-2013. Didn’t seem like it was working and then suddenly it was.

Rexrode had a pretty good article breaking down the offense's play against Georgia. One thing that stuck out to me was how much of a non-factor our TEs are. In modern offenses, you have to have viable TEs. You hope to have guys that can block and catch, but you at least want guys who are really skilled in one of those two areas. We don't. They've been having to play that jumbo package specifically because our TEs can't block. Jacob Warren was responsible for quite a bit of the busted pass coverage.

They need to be looking for some alternatives. Run Beckwith or ****, even skinny ass Wideman out of "TE" position like Darren Waller or Jimmy Graham.

I don’t think we can ever expect to beat UGA, Bama, and UF consistently. They are to good of programs. We should consistently beat the lower programs though (KY, Vandy, SC, etc.). We should expect to compete with our rivals almost every year though and hope to win once every two to three years. We should be a 8-10 win team consistently. When you do beat UGA and UF, we have to capitalize that into a chance at a NC.

I don’t think we can ever expect to beat UGA, Bama, and UF consistently. They are to good of programs. We should consistently beat the lower programs though (KY, Vandy, SC, etc.). We should expect to compete with our rivals almost every year though and hope to win once every two to three years. We should be a 8-10 win team consistently. When you do beat UGA and UF, we have to capitalize that into a chance at a NC.

Agreed

If we can go 1-2 vs those guys it’s a hell of a year in the future

biggest problem for the defense....depth.

Definitely hurts, but I was more shocked how badly they were whipped in the first half by an offense I didn't think was that great. 304 yards in a single half is nuts. The goal line stop was huge, but the only thing keeping them from 24 points...in just one half. That was very surprising.

This team is still significantly better than last year. I have to keep telling myself that. There were times last year when we thought South Carolina and Missouri were going to be guaranteed Ls. I remember how terrible it was after Georgia State and BYU.

You can tell this is a different type of squad. We're not College Playoff caliber yet, but we're certainly in that second tier with Florida (imo) and maybe Texas A&M.

Definitely hurts, but I was more shocked how badly they were whipped in the first half by an offense I didn't think was that great. 304 yards in a single half is nuts. The goal line stop was huge, but the only thing keeping them from 24 points...in just one half. That was very surprising.

Short yardage is really the only thing we are above average in with our D. The rest we are meh

Reactions: WebbCobb

Patience, stacking talent, finding difference makers especially at QB, and hope for some pull back from Bama and UGA. Both those teams are two of the most talented in the country. With UF, I feel like we’re close. We have a great opportunity to win in December. Need to take advantage.

But from a talent standpoint who can compete with UGA and Bama? Clemson and Ohio State, maybe LSU. That’s about it.

Rexrode had a pretty good article breaking down the offense's play against Georgia. One thing that stuck out to me was how much of a non-factor our TEs are. In modern offenses, you have to have viable TEs. You hope to have guys that can block and catch, but you at least want guys who are really skilled in one of those two areas. We don't. They've been having to play that jumbo package specifically because our TEs can't block. Jacob Warren was responsible for quite a bit of the busted pass coverage.

They need to be looking for some alternatives. Run Beckwith or ****, even skinny ass Wideman out of "TE" position like Darren Waller or Jimmy Graham.
This staff either hasn't been able to effectively recruit that position or they don't seem to think it's a priority, not sure which.

We really need two good TE's on this team just because they force defenses into mismatches, especially at the college level.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back