Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure. But it’s the kind of decision that offered no reward but could have put us in a dreadful situation. It’s the 8th inning. It’s 1-1. What happens if we don’t score and we go into extras with terrible defense at 3, lf, and RF? We were also out of position players. What happens if Culberson or a acuña pulls a hammy? Tyler flowers is the only position player we had left.

Besides, If you were going to play Culberson and even pinch hit him in key situations in the NLCS, maybe you should’ve given him bats during the season?

My only problem with Snit.....he played for a division title vs. getting guys ready for postseason. Now hyou have to hope Panda/ Culberson/ Camargo are ready to go during Prime Time.

How do we realistically not just catch, but surpass UGA, UF, and Bama?

I agree those games are the measuring sticks for the program. But how do we beat them?

We either need a serious edge on the field (QB), a schematic advantage (Charlie Weis available?), a talent edge (unlikely), or a lucky game. This is pretty doomerish, but I don't see how we can ever get to the point where we beat them consistently. At best we will beat them every 3-4 years.

It sucks because both UGA and UF didn't have their **** together and we had a brief window to gain that edge. Instead, we had Butch here. Thankfully, he won three of those games, but lost plenty he shouldn't have.

The other option is just hoping one or more of those programs implode or hit a long downcycle. Florida could potentially be headed there with their disaster of a defense. But I don't see UGA collapsing anytime soon, nor Bama.

It's frustrating. We are in direct recruiting competition with them. It actually reminds me of Michigan vs Ohio State. Ohio State has an iron grip on that rivalry. How does Michigan gain the edge? They have a good coach and talent, but they are just behind every year. They need a lucky game and they haven't gotten it thus far. And Ohio State is not a program that truly downcycles. So they're just in limbo waiting for something to happen.
I think Mullen will have UF good, but im not sure he ever puts an ELITE defense on the field. Also with his quirkiness I could see his personality turning some top tier guys off. I think he keeps them at a consistent 8-9 wins but I don't think he keeps them at an ELITE level. For UGA we have to hope the rumors about his attitude being off putting to recruits is true. Also them getting in trouble for maybe keep a guy eligible that isn't? Also if he doesn't beat Bama or get back to the NC game soon recruits may start questioning his ability. For Bama, I think its when Saban leaves. They will take a step back, and if anybody is smart theyre not going to want to follow in his foot steps. I think the biggest thing that could help TN is a couple years of high level in state talent. One or two top classes like Butch's two legacy classes would be huge. As well as getting an ELITE QB. Ive thought for awhile we are going to have to be happy with 7-9 wins for a bit. Besides UF, I think its 3-4 years before Bama and UGA start cycling down

Reactions: Aesius
I think Mullen will have UF good, but im not sure he ever puts an ELITE defense on the field. Also with his quirkiness I could see his personality turning some top tier guys off. I think he keeps them at a consistent 8-9 wins but I don't think he keeps them at an ELITE level. For UGA we have to hope the rumors about his attitude being off putting to recruits is true. Also them getting in trouble for maybe keep a guy eligible that isn't? Also if he doesn't beat Bama or get back to the NC game soon recruits may start questioning his ability. For Bama, I think its when Saban leaves. They will take a step back, and if anybody is smart theyre not going to want to follow in his foot steps. I think the biggest thing that could help TN is a couple years of high level in state talent. One or two top classes like Butch's two legacy classes would be huge. As well as getting an ELITE QB. Ive thought for awhile we are going to have to be happy with 7-9 wins for a bit. Besides UF, I think its 3-4 years before Bama and UGA start cycling down

The thing I keep thinking of is Pruitt's supposed defensive acumen. If it's really what it's cracked up to be then that could be our edge. Can he get us a top 15 defense year in and year out? If so we are in every game we play basically. Especially on the years where it cycles up and is top 5. All we would need is one lightning in a bottle year where we have a top 5 QB in conference and a top 10ish defense nationally. That's got the makings of an 11-12 win team.

The thing I keep thinking of is Pruitt's supposed defensive acumen. If it's really what it's cracked up to be then that could be our edge. Can he get us a top 15 defense year in and year out? If so we are in every game we play basically. Especially on the years where it cycles up and is top 5. All we would need is one lightning in a bottle year where we have a top 5 QB in conference and a top 10ish defense nationally. That's got the makings of an 11-12 win team.
After the UGA game I was looking at blue chip top 150 recruite. The large chunk of those guys weve gotten are in the front 7. So if Pruitt can live up to his acumen we should be ok. Although the lack of top 150 DB's isn't ideal. But defesively I think we can hang with the UK's SCAR's and so and so. But we are going to have to get a top 20 ish offense to take the next step.

After the UGA game I was looking at blue chip top 150 recruite. The large chunk of those guys weve gotten are in the front 7. So if Pruitt can live up to his acumen we should be ok. Although the lack of top 150 DB's isn't ideal. But defesively I think we can hang with the UK's SCAR's and so and so. But we are going to have to get a top 20 ish offense to take the next step.

Lack of success in recruiting elite DBs is puzzling given Pruitt's coaching history.

I don’t think we can ever expect to beat UGA, Bama, and UF consistently. They are to good of programs. We should consistently beat the lower programs though (KY, Vandy, SC, etc.). We should expect to compete with our rivals almost every year though and hope to win once every two to three years. We should be a 8-10 win team consistently. When you do beat UGA and UF, we have to capitalize that into a chance at a NC.

I don’t think we can beat UGA or Alabama at their own game. Unfortunately that’s what Pruitt wants to do and we would need equal or better talent to make that happen. So we’re running the same basic style as them but with less talent. At that point it’s better to innovate offensively to at least attempt to gain an edge.

I get your emphasis on QB, but the rest of the O has to hold up their end of the deal.

Reactions: Aesius
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back