Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not propaganda from Sexton. People are not making up that this is his dream job. The guy literally broke into Neyland just to tell his just married wife that he will coach there one day.
they just have to decide if that juice is worth the squeeze.

so far...USCe and Auburn have said no. assuming you don't believe he's turned them down, waiting to see if we open our job up that is.

i think it is. but i realize that's not a simple determination to make.

find me another program where the starting qb for multiple years in a row literally cost you games by scoring more points for the opponent than the team he plays for?

JG has had 100 yard turnovers for TD's ever year he's started. 18 FL, 19 Bama 20 Auburn...wtf does that?

the qb play here has been absolutely dreadful and has snatched the opportunity for victory out from under our feet on multiple occasions...we start the GA st game off last year with turn over by the QB. the 2nd half of the UGA, UK games...the 18 FL game....the vandy game a couple years ago. Auburn this year.....

none of this excuses JP's performance....but if you don't think that's a consideration on this whole deal? i'd be more than a little surprised.

It’s why AP has continually said if Pruitt never played JG again after Ky the hate wouldn’t be so directed toward him. One we would have likely beat Arky and Auburn. It’s been pretty clear in watching last two games just how badly JG handcuffed Chaney ability to call plays. If he starts Shrout this whole time we likely aren’t in the current situation as the kid clearly has big time talent and needed live reps to work out the mistakes that drive staff crazy

Let me ask you this - do you still want Pruitt fired if it meant that once he's canned, the ensuing search would result in our admin and boosters pulling in about 5 different directions, and we end up with a Dooley-type candidate? Because the odds actually favor that. This Freeze, Campbell, etc. talk is fun and I'd be happy with any one of several names that we mention. However, do you actually think our admin would hire any of those guys?

I have zero, zero, faith in UT leadership to either go out and get a solid coach if Pruitt was fired, or conduct a search to identify one.

Quite honestly, if they have no plan with regards of what to do in the event they decide to fire Pruitt, they really should just keep him.
Buddy I hate to tell you this but the guy we have as HC now is worse than a dooley type candidate. Dooley at least put points on the board and had games that were fun to watch. And what would be the difference in doing it this year or next year? Do you think our decision makers are gonna magically get better at hiring in 10 months? Me thinks no....

Let me ask you this - do you still want Pruitt fired if it meant that once he's canned, the ensuing search would result in our admin and boosters pulling in about 5 different directions, and we end up with a Dooley-type candidate? Because the odds actually favor that. This Freeze, Campbell, etc. talk is fun and I'd be happy with any one of several names that we mention. However, do you actually think our admin would hire any of those guys?

I have zero, zero, faith in UT leadership to either go out and get a solid coach if Pruitt was fired, or conduct a search to identify one.

Quite honestly, if they have no plan with regards of what to do in the event they decide to fire Pruitt, they really should just keep him.
I actually have faith they don’t screw it up. What I do know is Pruitt isn’t getting it done. At least mcgoogle gives hope. But it’s pretty sure fire this year if you go through candidates and the floor is Freeze and Napier.

Reactions: Aesius
they just have to decide if that juice is worth the squeeze.

so far...USCe and Auburn have said no. assuming you don't believe he's turned them down, waiting to see if we open our job up that is.

i think it is. but i realize that's not a simple determination to make.

He turned down USCe. It’s why their 247 mods were making stupid and childish comments about him and they also said he had his eye elsewhere. I always thought auburn would be one to worry about but I didn’t realize they were one of the main ones that got him in trouble before and he appears to have loyalty to Gus. It’s odd to actually have a guy out there making it known in industry where he wants to be whether it is now or next yr. he won’t wait forever but it sounds like he is willing to hold out another yr to see what happens if that is needed

Buddy I hate to tell you this but the guy we have as HC now is worse than a dooley type candidate. Dooley at least put points on the board and had games that were fun to watch. And what would be the difference in doing it this year or next year? Do you think our decision makers are gonna magically get better at hiring in 10 months? Me thinks no....
No he isn't, and it isn't even close. You've got recency bias.

Dooley won 4 conference games in 3 seasons. Pruitt won 5 conference games just last year.

If they have no plan and are going to pull in 5 different directions if Pruitt was fired, I bet there are actually better odds of Pruitt somehow turning it around than taking our chances with Coach McGoogle. Because make no mistake, if they go into a coaching search with no plan, they won't end up with a Chadwell or Napier. They'd end up with someone like Idaho State's assistant linebackers coach.

If we get beat let’s say 34-20 and they try to sell him coming back because we’re “improving” or whatever I’m done. Completely done. This university has zero desire to be competitive and so I have zero desire to waste my money on it.
Prepare for it.

This x100 ATP you have to hope this is thinking for the higher ups

i don't really disagree with this.

i don't see the point in firing this "down the list guy" to find out we're hiring another "down the list guy". just keep the one we got for now....

which is why i keep saying the same things about this whole deal...firing JP is not the solution. it's not the answer. it's actually the easiest thing about this whole thing, and for all intents and purposes, you could argue that decision is basically already made, because NO BODY would argue with us for firing a guy with his body of work in 3 years and i'd love to find someone that could give us tangible reasons on WHY he has to be retained?

who are you getting? and you better have that answered before you even get started.....all the energy in this discussion is completely misplaced.

Reactions: volsfan_17
I actually have faith they don’t screw it up. What I do know is Pruitt isn’t getting it done. At least mcgoogle gives hope. But it’s pretty sure fire this year if you go through candidates and the floor is Freeze and Napier.

Let’s just wait till next year to fire Pruitt and lose the best instate class we have seen in awhile. Maybe then some of the fans will understand.

Because I guarantee their tones will change next year when we sign another 15-20 class. “Why didn’t we fire Pruitt last year? WTF, we just lost the best instate class, blah blah blah.”

It’s why AP has continually said if Pruitt never played JG again after Ky the hate wouldn’t be so directed toward him. One we would have likely beat Arky and Auburn. It’s been pretty clear in watching last two games just how badly JG handcuffed Chaney ability to call plays. If he starts Shrout this whole time we likely aren’t in the current situation as the kid clearly has big time talent and needed live reps to work out the mistakes that drive staff crazy
yup

How would McGoogle give you hope? They've swung and missed on the last 3 McGoogles (Pruitt was well-known, so not quite a Google coach I guess, but he was totally unproven as an HC).

The only way out of this is to hire a guy who has had some success at the P5 level, and this admin is either too stupid, or unwilling, or unable to hire such a person.

Do you think Pruitt is a solid coach?

Reactions: MrVolton
yeah, losing games 45-42 was awesome....and who knew WR's were so effective at QB?

arguing over who's worse between dooley, pruitt and jones is like arguing over whether pig ish smells worse than horse ish.

it's all ish.

Well boys, vilify me if you want but I'm pulling for TAaM. I hope they beat us like a drum and we get rid of this bozo. Our players deserve better. Preseason I couldn't imagine for a second that Trey Smith and Cade Mays draft stock would've dropped like it has. This coaching staff is doing a disservice to the players. UT will always be my team but I'm supporting the players not the coaches.

No he isn't, and it isn't even close. You've got recency bias.

Dooley won 4 conference games in 3 seasons. Pruitt won 5 conference games just last year.

If they have no plan and are going to pull in 5 different directions if Pruitt was fired, I bet there are actually better odds of Pruitt somehow turning it around than taking our chances with Coach McGoogle. Because make no mistake, if they go into a coaching search with no plan, they won't end up with a Chadwell or Napier. They'd end up with someone like Idaho State's assistant linebackers coach.

Pruitt is going to have 1 more win after 3 seasons than Dooley. So yes he should be fired, unless you think Dooley should still be coaching here.

Napier is the absolute floor (higher than Chadwell) and would take this job the instant it was offered to him.

Keeping Pruitt means endorsing a 3 win season, which is the fewest wins since 1924. Do you want to stand behind that?

A committee for a coaching search... Well, Gundy gets a raise.

Who had a winning season in somewhere's Louisiana?

Or what mid-major coach has had back to back winning seasons? That's a guy to watch for. Plus he'll come on the cheap.

Wait, anyone have ties to Nick? Those guys always make a big impression on committees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back