Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only one of them was involved in the last search and he isn't making the call this time.

I don’t think it’s Phil’s call this time. I don’t think he’s doing his due diligence behind the scenes because others are and possibly have been for a while.

I have a bridge to sell you if you think Freeze was cheating more than anybody else. Everybody is a cheater in this league and Freeze is no different. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if worse cheating wasn’t going on at Bama and UGA right now.

Given the network and resources here, I have no doubt Freeze would kill it at UT.
Ole Miss just doesn't have the infrastructure and network than an Alabama, Georgia, or a Tennessee has. He and his staff was totally exposed because the assistant coaches themselves were involved in the payments. That's not how you run it.

from a fan persoective maybe. but in terms of a kid being able to make a well rounded decision, it makes no sense to have a early date in middle of December.

if you want to have an early date have it before school starts. then, again in Feb.

kids need to see how bowl practice is, team chemistry, and any or most coaching changes. its a huge expense on schools and a burden on families, just stupid.

It does if you put yourself in Saban’s shoes and you don’t want to be bothered by baby-sitting your five stars during bowl practices. Yet another instance where Saban has bent the rules to his favor and ruined college football for everyone else. Just like his whining about hurry-up offenses and player safety.

Couple early signing day with the 25 player cap on signing day, and it’s really hard for someone to come in and flip a roster. It’s like it putts any new coach one year behind in a rebuild from the jump.

Ole Miss just doesn't have the infrastructure and network than an Alabama, Georgia, or a Tennessee has. He and his staff was totally exposed because the assistant coaches themselves were involved in the payments. That's not how you run it.

Plus it’s like hatfields and McCoy’s down here when it comes to recruiting.

It does if you put yourself in Saban’s shoes and you don’t want to be bothered by baby-sitting your five stars during bowl practices. Yet another instance where Saban has bent the rules to his favor and ruined college football for everyone else. Just like his whining about hurry-up offenses and player safety.

Couple early signing day with the 25 player cap on signing day, and it’s really hard for someone to come in and flip a roster. It’s like it putts any new coach one year behind in a rebuild from the jump.
He totally lost that battle though.

I have a bridge to sell you if you think Freeze was cheating more than anybody else. Everybody is a cheater in this league and Freeze is no different. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if worse cheating wasn’t going on at Bama and UGA right now.

Given the network and resources here, I have no doubt Freeze would kill it at UT.
Bro not only was he cheating he was ordering hookers with the company phone which implies he's not very smart. Also his record was average, he gets way too much hype even if the scandals didnt happen.

Of course, they do. UT runs the numbers for multiple scenarios. Donors provide input. Everybody has opinions. Many different opinions. Some people are going to be mad, no matter what. A knee-jerk reaction leading to another bad hire would outrage people all over again. They're not going to please everybody.
Well, they have not pleased anyone in over a decade

Reactions: nesbuddha66

Are you saying that he was just putting on a show when complaining about it?

Nick Saban unloads on his issue with early signing day

Explain what you mean by infrastructure

yup

LA, do you think they consider the fallout that may occur with fans and the lack of support next season which also could cost them millions? Cause CP has lost majority of the fan base. Does that play in their decision?
Quit changing your avi. Is it an attempt to avoid my scrutiny? If so it won't work. You can't hide.

Not entirely, the rule that allows a defense to substitute if the offense does is because of him.
Don't you think that's fair though?

Saban wanted to really slow the game down to the point where a hurry-up offense essentially wouldn't be allowed. They told him no, so he just went and created a fast offense of his own by hiring Kiffin and recruiting players like Tua.

Pruitt is a better coach than most the names getting thrown around here, and Freeze is an overrated cheater. We're too late in this cycle to go through the search process, same lateness is why we ended up with Pruitt over Mullen last time.

Best case scenario is Pruitt proves he's the one next year, but if not he's fired after only 8 games or so. This way you're ahead of all the other P5 firings and can have pick of the litter of available coaches. Cutting him lose now would be a absolute disaster and we'll end up with a worse coach.
Your entire post is inaccurate. That's impressive.

2020 Lane > Fickell > 2009 Lane. JMO.

I think Lane learned a lot from his failure at USC and his rehab stint with Saban.
i won't disagree with that. especially on the 09 vs. 20 kiffin.

but i've never not thought Kiffin was gonna be great here. and i still think if he'd of stayed, we'd of taken over the East....and that MO run and subsequent UGA run may not happen, at least not like it has turned out the last few years.

but, i realize that's speculative on my part. so don't worry about proving me wrong. :)

Reactions: Jimmy Football
right, the angst lies with the money folks, and the jockeying for position that goes on. if left up to the actual decision makers on the payroll for UT/UTAD, i do think we're in a lot better shape there.

the behind the scenes part, i've no reason to believe that's improved....

Getting money people to agree on everything is a problem everywhere. Even when they agree on what to do, there will be dissension on how to do it, when to do it and who's going to do what. Boosters provide funding and input-- some much more than others-- but they don't run the University of Tennessee. UT has a leadership committee and a board for that, and while there is some overlap, it's not nearly as much as some people think.

I’d breathe a huge sigh of relief if we ended up with Luke Fickell out of all of this. It would be the best football hire we’ve made since Fulmer.

ZERO experience in the South? Who would he bring with him? How would recruiting go? I realize Butch did just fine in that department. How would he be different than Butch?

Explain what you mean by infrastructure
An organized system/network that gets the money from boosters to players without the NCAA noticing, or being able to prove where it came from.

Ole Miss does have alums with a lot of money, but there aren't a ton of them and the wealth is concentrated. The big schools simply have more boosters, more money, and a better system of taking care of it that doesn't have to involve the coaches directly.

Reactions: nesbuddha66
@LA Vol why is winning not a top priority? There really is no argument that they prioritize winning. I’m sure they WANT to win but nothing the past 20 years has shown they’re prioritizing winning. With every loser coach we hire our brand and our national respect level dwindles. Do they not see this? Why do we think we are so above Freeze? Nobody has mentioned a thing about his past at Liberty this season. Someone is going to give him a chance. We can’t afford to make a pitiful hire again and yet I feel like we will. I have no interest in hiring Napier, Chadwell or anyone of that level. We will be running them out of town in 4 years. We have to make a hire that shows the college football world we are serious about winning. I’m not saying that HAS to be Freeze but it needs to be someone who has had success at a Power 5 job. Thank you for the info you bring. I’m not attacking you.

Tennessee doesn’t have the infrastructure that UGA and Bama have

Reactions: VolByLaw
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back