Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about that tonight. I think its just because the culture has already been established from Urban and they expect to win

I think that's a huge part, in addition to the points others have mentioned: Jimmys and Joes, elite QB, etc. And UT is the opposite, the situation seems so dysfunctional that a good coach could fail here where they would dominate elsewhere.... do yall think Ryan Day would lead UT to an East championship? So hard to say imo.

As for the QB situation.... if UT had Justin Fields, would we have been an East contender? Could even a bad coach look good with a great QB? Butch and dobbs come to mind.

Hypothetically, what if Butch had become HC at Ohio St instead of Day? Would even a bad HC not be able to screw up such a perfect situation as Ohio St? After all, Butch maintained Kelly's programs decently, but failed when handed a program that didnt have momentum. Would he have done to Ohio St as he did with CMU and Cinci?

Okay, I'm all out of questions

Those Salter highlights in his most recent game were pretty nasty.

Do we have a plan for this kid? Because they fumbled the QB position this year and that can't happen again. I could see Bailey winning this job in the off-season. But if he doesn't take it right away I'm thinking Salter is gonna be breathing down his neck.

Don't like how UGA played Fromm over Fields when Chaney was there. They let a generational QB walk away to stick with the safe guy who had been around longer.

Not saying Salter = Fields or Bailey = Fromm. But it's not that different of a situation. Same OC. Just an observation.

Do we have a plan for this kid? Because they fumbled the QB position this year and that can't happen again. I could see Bailey winning this job in the off-season. But if he doesn't take it right away I'm thinking Salter is gonna be breathing down his neck.

Don't like how UGA played Fromm over Fields when Chaney was there. They let a generational QB walk away to stick with the safe guy who had been around longer.

Not saying Salter = Fields or Bailey = Fromm. But it's not that different of a situation. Same OC. Just an observation.
Yeah, I feel like dual threat QBs don’t get a fair shake in practice sometimes, because they can’t show what separates them without going live

This is just a random thought from my drunken Buffalo Trace stupor but we all know Clay Travis is a big UT fan and that he follows the message boards. With his national following and how many people he knows, does anyone think he could be one of the “insiders” either here or on VQ?

Reactions: crazyguy

Its an interesting dynamic for sure. I would go as far as Kirby and Pruitt aren't that different in how they handled their offenses either. Time will tell if Pruitt learned from Kirby's and his own mistakes.

How does OSU get
So lucky and go from Urban to an in house hire with Day and hit a home run.

Competent admin. When the $6¡7 hit the fan, they just promoted an interim for a year. (Something similar should’ve happened at UT when Kiffin left, but we had pencil-necked bean-counter in charge.) They then went all in on Meyer who came in, won championships, and established a system that the next competent, offensive-minded HC inherited.

I think they are one of the few programs where they are bigger than even a great coach.
Nah. Just another one of the programs who was lucky enough to be at their peak and rolling when the social media age and instant news cycle came rolling around. They are living in an infinite positive feedback loop. Tennessee would be there too, if our NC came in 2008 instead of 98. Tennessee is not that much different than Ohio State, but the perception is drastically different bc of the positioning of the programs during this popularity contest boom of the social media age.

This is just a random thought from my drunken Buffalo Trace stupor but we all know Clay Travis is a big UT fan and that he follows the message boards. With his national following and how many people he knows, does anyone think he could be one of the “insiders” either here or on VQ?

Edit: Could he be part of the new money that some people have talked about?

@BruinVol if I had to guess

With a national radio show, not to mention being a part of a Fox Sports show, I would say he’s worth well over 8 figures. Could be wrong. Just throwing it out there.

Edit: I realize he doesn’t have Haslam, Thornton, or Anderson money but I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that he could be one of the newer guys around the university.

Nah. Just another one of the programs who was lucky enough to be at their peak and rolling when the social media age and instant news cycle came rolling around. They are living in an infinite positive feedback loop. Tennessee would be there too, if our NC came in 2008 instead of 98. Tennessee is not that much different than Ohio State, but the perception is drastically different bc of the positioning of the programs during this popularity contest boom of the social media age.
Except for the winning, yeah, TN and OSU are similar programs.:rolleyes:

Believing that social media and "perception" drives wins is nuts. Recruiting, coaching, and hard frigging work drives wins.

NOBODY in the social media world expected Clemson to get boatraced by OSU. Perception was: dang, Trevor is good. OSUs secondary is suspect. Bottom line: OSU was better prepared, came in hungry, and kicked butt the old fashioned way at the line of scrimmage.

Get outta here with the notion that "social media perception" makes a football team better.

Sweat and practice make football teams....... and you don't get those with your posting finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back