Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he gets lucky and wins a Big 12 championship, but I actually doubt it. And he's already a hero there. And if that's enough for him, more power to him. I just think he could be more if he wanted to. And again, I'm not saying he has to come here to do that. This isn't about him leaving ISU to come to UT. This is just me saying to truly live up to his potential, he needs to leave ISU. He needs to go somewhere he can achieve more. It's not happening at ISU.

Heā€™ll win one there if he stays. And heā€™ll do it by out coaching a more talented team.

He wonā€™t compete for NC there I agree.

It is true that TE likely has many of our recruiting targets on speed dial already. He has relationships with the kind of recruits we need and has scouting data on everybody we should be interested in for the next few cycles. The problem with Fleck, Fickel, and even Campbell to some degree is that they are scouting a different level of player than TN needs to in order to be competitive. This was a problem with Butch and Dooley. While they seemed to find decent 3 stars, the 4-5 stars seemed to be pretty flawed for the most part. This is 100% down to scouting and relationships.

But Elliot has so many recruiting ties he could hit the ground running. He would absolutely win the living room and be an immediate injecting of energy and enthusiasm and dare I say it...HOPE

I guess I look at it this way: if a guy has got the recruiting ties like Elliott, then that is a bonus and might give him an edge over comparable candidates. On the flip side, it 100% should not disqualify someone that is a winner otherwise, e.g. Campbell, Fleck, or Fickell.

I'm not saying he should come here, because he's had better options IMO, but I do disagree with your statement. We have far more to build with than ISU does. He would have been better off taking one of those other options, but we are absolute a better place to build a winning program, if you can do it. We have so much more to offer.

Maybe so...but someone would need to have a study of many times P5 coaches move, when and for how much pay. I donā€™t have in depth knowledge of Iowa State but they are coming off a successful season (a Fiesta bowl win I think) and Campbell is making something like north of 3 mil. If money is the issue probably a lot of coaches would leave if their pay was doubled but there is probably reasons why Campbell has turned down Texas and other high profile jobs. If heā€™s turned those types of opportunities down there is a reason. We all know Tennessee is a place you CAN winā€”the crappier part of this is the NCAA stuff.

Reactions: OrangeGlasses731
Jonathan Smith (Oregon State) and Jeff Hafley (Boston College) are 2 late adds to list of those being vetted. Others as well, but can confirm these 2.
Hafley looks like heā€™s come up pretty quickly and been successful, Smith would be a harder sell based on this pst year at or st. Anyone else know anything about these guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back