Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off - thanks for this post. Agree with all.

1. Stay in the fight even in the blow-outs. If Arky can do it as they did last season - we better do it even better. Time to stop rolling over. Real Vols don't quit during games - ever.

2. We have always agreed on this one. Do your thing your way. Also - players have positions that fit them naturally. CJH knows this as he has said it. A few may need switching to find the natural fit. Most found it during HS. A quality O-lineman may find a position he plays better in college better than what he was in HS (Cade), but he is still an O-lineman and not a D-lineman. A natural receiver may have also played CB or S in HS, but he is still a natural receiver (Taylor). That sort of thing. If they play their natural positions, then it's all about improved technique and physical development instead of eliminating past habits and learning fundamentals where they have to think before acting. If the recruit wants to play a position that he is not naturally suited to play in the scheme/system - don't recruit him (Crouch). It causes a ripple effect of negativity for all involved. This one drives me bananas because it starts at the decision to recruit or not. We loved JJ as a WR and a HS QB. Great moments here. But, where would he be today if he had been developed at S in HS (where he also played) and college? Because that was his natural position.

3. 100%. Too early to freak out about recruiting. Let them do their thing.

4. 100%. Never thought that would happen with the supposed D-gurus we had as coaches on that side of the ball. It did.

My additions -

5. Find a leader QB with whom the players will go to war and pick him up when he gets knocked down. He doesn't have to be the most talented (see Tee Martin). Have the next leader at QB developed and ready to step in every season.

6. Related to #1. Redevelop what it means to be a Tennessee Vol. I have not seen that consistently for a very long time. You can have whatever system you choose to have - but the tradition of the program should be drilled into the kids as it is at Bama, UGA, UF, LSU, aTm, etc. We have our own that was trashed starting with Kiffin and his USCw BS. None of the coaches since Fulmer have full vested in it. Kiffin - USCw, Dools - UGA, Botch - Kelly's Big East model, Cornbread - Bama. I like that CJH is not bringing Okie's to us. I like that he has made his own way since his unjustified firing from his alma mater employer. I like that he jumped into a dumpster fire to put it out and understands our great tradition. I like that he wants to do it his way that is new and creative, yet, ties it to the Volunteer way. I plan to give him all the space and time he needs as long as the program trends in the right direction and I see these 6 points in play. Rooting for him, the staff and the players.

100 percent right on Jennings. Preached it myself that was where he would be best at. Would’ve been all pro potential there.

Be honest...you got a little turned on.
When I was in college, I worked at Best Buy in the car audio department. One day a midget came up behind me said "excuse me". I looked over my shoulder and didn't see anyone so figured I heard it in the earpiece or something. Seconds later an angrier "EXCUSE ME SIR" was shouted and he poked me. I turned around, looked down and jumped cause he startled me. He went straight to the manager. Had to talk to the GM later that day and That was one of the funniest conversations I've ever had with him. Got written up for it. I didn't mean offense by it.. It was a reaction.

I think Pruitt can evaluate and find players. I think he can develop them defensively in his scheme as well under normal circumstances. He had no chance in the pandemic. He was young as a HC as is let alone having no clue how to manage a pandemic in a critical development yr for his team.

Offensively he was a moron apparently meddling too much and didn’t know how to not make his assistants not hate him

He also sucked at keeping his 2nd and 3rd options warm in recruiting. If he missed one number 1 he usually fell to bottom of list since he ignores the others
I agree with his evals. Tough to buy into the development side honestly. We still couldn’t line up properly on defense in year 3. Maybe that was more on the assistant coaches. Should’ve held onto Sherrer, Rocker and the real teachers he had on that original staff. I just can’t believe how bare he left the LB and DB cupboards, while the offense actually appears pretty stocked with potential.

Tennessee did that? quite progressive.
tenor.gif

When I was in college, I worked at Best Buy in the car audio department. One day a midget came up behind me said "excuse me". I looked over my shoulder and didn't see anyone so figured I heard it in the earpiece or something. Seconds later an angrier "EXCUSE ME SIR" was shouted and he poked me. I turned around, looked down and jumped cause he startled me. That was one of the funniest conversations I've ever had with the GM of the region. Got written up for it. I didn't mean offense by it.. It was a reaction.
The cabbage smell should have given him away.

Lord forgive me, I couldn't resist the joke. I apologize in advance to any little people I offend.

Reactions: RikidyBones
Disagree. JJ can’t stay healthy as a receiver. No way he stays healthy at safety.
Also equivalent speed with Nigel Warrior. Wasn’t his namesake until his senior year. Meanwhile some epic plays and production in Jauan’s career as an offensive player.

If you’ve ever met him, he is genuinely one of the nicest people ever! It doesn’t matter who you are, if you want to talk ball he will talk as long as he can. And the guy never forgets anything when it comes to football.
Mike and I played baseball together at BGA. he is a great guy. Maybe we can gently nudge him to Knoxville????

I know when I heard Coach Elarbee respond to what he looks for in an OL player during his introductory presser I was 100% sold he was head and shoulders better than Friend.

I think this Oline will be improved just because of that... even with the loss of Trey Smith and the transfers... we're super thin on the outside, but barring injuries, I think we'll be fine

If you’ve ever met him, he is genuinely one of the nicest people ever! It doesn’t matter who you are, if you want to talk ball he will talk as long as he can. And the guy never forgets anything when it comes to football.
There is no better (currently) that can paint a picture of the football game like he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back