Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I laughed at Georgia's Munson play calling (RIP) --not because he was bad by any means, but because he was the biggest homer. Kessling's side kick Priest almost curses half the time, so he's pretty fun, but I agree with Jave that sometimes it's hard to tell what the score is--where the ball is etc, when listening to VOLS on radio.
I want my play by play announcer to be a Homer, a fan. I see no shame in it. I want them to say "we" and "us" and "our". You definitely can tell who Priest is for.

I want my play by play announcer to be a Homer, a fan. I see no shame in it. I want them to say "we" and "us" and "our". You definitely can tell who Priest is for.
I agree. I recall our "Dobb Nail boot" Priest was great, but Kessling's "what a turn of events" was WTF. This is a game where in seconds Georgia went from winning the game on a big play to losing it, and that's what you say? People complained about Vern, but he was a hundred thousand times better on his play calling then our home town announcer. You can listen to it-- and it will convince you how deprived we are.

I agree. I recall our "Dobb Nail boot" Priest was great, but Kessling's "what a turn of events" was WTF. This is a game where in seconds Georgia went from winning the game on a big play to losing it, and that's what you say? People complained about Vern, but he was a hundred thousand times better on his play calling then our home town announcer. You can listen to it-- and it will convince you how deprived we are.
What a turn of events? to the cheggar birds!

in all seriousness, Kessling is an excellent bball play by play.

I'd take stoops over any of our last 3 coaches. He's getting a lot out of a little. If he had our recruits he'd be doing even better.

I’m not so sure about that, but it doesn’t really matter. Not sure he would have gotten 4 years. His style of play doesn’t help either.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
The media doesn't give a damn about our program. We've lost 20(?) scholarship players, find me another situation like that without sanctions that wasn't 5-10 year rebuild.

Penn St...each of the 3 years after getting hammered they were above .500 and then had b2b 11 win seasons in Y4 and Y5.

It's certainly possible.

The media doesn't give a damn about our program. We've lost 20(?) scholarship players, find me another situation like that without sanctions that wasn't 5-10 year rebuild.

Penn St...each of the 3 years after getting hammered they were above .500 and then had b2b 11 win seasons in Y4 and Y5.

It's certainly possible.
This is probably the least I’ve followed/cared about recruiting in 15 years. Mainly because it’s so depressing right now.

Looking back, Pruitt’s recruiting was pretty lackluster here outside of To’o To’o, Morris, Wright, and maybe a couple others. He always seemed to spend a lot of time trying to pry a top 50 guy out of Alabama or Georgia’s backyard when he could have had a top 250 guy in state. When the guys he was chasing spurned us for the inevitable choice on signing day, we often ended up signing some guy we had to beat Georgia Tech or Northern Illinois out for. Not saying we shouldn’t be swinging for those guys, but putting all our eggs their baskets burned us more often than not.
Have to respectfully disagree. It's not like he filled 10 spots on flyers. It was a few at most and almost any team has to do that due to timing. Though he also had some late additions like Crouch, Toots, Wright. I liked the "going after all the big dogs" approach...we are Tennessee...why not?

It's also been pretty well researched and shown that the bottom 10 or so guys in your class don't move the needle all that much in future performance. I believe it was Bill Connelly that had a model showing an even better indicator of future performance than regular recruiting rankings. It was simply looking at your top 5 or 10 recruits each year. They were the ones making the big difference. Pareto Principle type of thing.

I would like to see a more targeted approach, though. Pruitt was a lot like Butch in offering 500 billion kids a year. That really spreads your resources thin it would seem. Most schools offer half of what we did and Dabo even less. Maybe why our "talent evaluation" has been so poor.

It will look a whole lot better with a transfer or two. Then French and Willis back in the fold. DL will be good. Not world beaters by any means, but a solid group. DBs may actually surprise some. Again, not world beaters, but serviceable.
I wonder if our definition of “solid” has been slowly degraded because of a decade of ineptitude.

Reactions: ptclaus98
Enjoy the rebuild, gang. No sense in belaboring over past events and people who have long since departed the program. Today is just a baby step in that process. Begin the upward trajectory.

I am happy to see Heup bringing us a current O scheme and system that will eventually put up a lot of points. It will take awhile to fit the current pieces and find better options. But, look what Kiffin has done to bring excitement to the bad Ole Miss program despite a more limited roster than ours. Finding a QB that can sling it and receivers to catch it has helped them big time. That's why I am not one bit concerned if it's Maurer and he throws some picks if he can throw twice as many TD's like Corral. The reason is possessions. With the speed of the O they can make up for them with more possessions. We appear to have a better O-line, RB's and receivers overall than they started with in their rebuild and probably have currently. We have better D players without a doubt. If they can hold the opponents to FG's instead of TD's we can survive the TO's. We are also in the east instead of the brutal west division. So a 6+ win season is very possible if Heup can deliver reasonable QB play.

The recruiting will handle itself as the season begins and hopefully hear from the AA before December. That ground can be made up in a hurry with some real progress on the field and a final resolution of the Cornbread era.

Metro LA on the whole is the most disgusting place I have ever been in my life...but there are still a few beautiful and interesting places. I feel really sorry for the regular people here...
View attachment 364011
That looks like something you might see in Mexico-----or Mississippi :cool::cool:

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Riddle me this..............Honest question.

I've read several articles about how the offense loves the speed of play. It 'Tires" out the defense and they can't substitute.

Here is what confuses me. Does't the offense get tired as well.?

I don’t follow recruiting enough to know the details about each recruits situation but that’s a tough line to walk. Similar to in baseball taking guys that will probably go pro.

It’s honestly hard to gauge some of the talent on this team because i think both sides of the ball were put in extremely bad spots often. I’m not a fan of asking players to do things that you see plainly they can’t do, but you insist on it Bc it’s “how you’ve always done it” you have to adapt year to year as a coach.ie: Bama went from running like 75% RPOs with tua, to a more traditional drop back style passing scheme with Jones. We continued to play much man match defense and continued to run primarily vertical passing plays all year when it was plain as day that we cannot do it consistently.
When you try to jam a square peg in a round hole, you get.............. Pruitt's head.. 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back